K2yhaven

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Delved from what I once considered a mine of useless information when it came to railway modelling - 'This Is Sealink' by Brian Haresnape

MV Freshwater

Length overall 50 metres

Breadth overall 13.11 metres

Draught laden 1.83 metres (so it could use a shallow harbour)

Passengers: 620 (wanna buy a few hundred plastic figures guv?)

Cars: 26

Road haulage vehicle space: 68 linear metres.

the Freshwater was the shortest (by 0.5 metres) and oldest vessel operating on the Lymington route in the 1970s

Thus satisfying the new rule that every thread has to be about that (those) darned BP(s)!! Somebody wake me when it's all over blink.gif

sad.gif Blue Pullman... froth (at the bottom of the gates)....?

Comedy genius I thought, but coat time clearly tongue.gif

Hi Andy

There are a few pictures of MV Freshwater (and Sound of Seil)on the Ships Nostalgia website.

Go into the Gallery area of the site and the search function is about half way down the page.

Regards

If the date on this article is right then it was 12 years ago yesterday: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/140698.stm

That is the one I was thinking of, still fresh in the memory, sadly.

Andy, in regards to the flying boats mentioned on here (Supermarine Walrus/Grumman Widgeon) Airfix currently have both available as kits in their current catalogue, if it was something you were thinking of progressing with.

Colin

• RMweb Premium

That is the one I was thinking of, still fresh in the memory, sadly.

Andy, in regards to the flying boats mentioned on here (Supermarine Walrus/Grumman Widgeon) Airfix currently have both available as kits in their current catalogue, if it was something you were thinking of progressing with.

Colin

Fond memories. I made the Walrus as a kid (think it was the Matchbox kit though) and was gutted when it didn't float in the bath!

Someone mentioned early Hovercraft.... SR.N1 was at East Cowes late 1959 according to wiki. Did Airfix do a kit? (sorry, not up on what Airfix produced :( ), it could be sat at the boat yard following its "retirement" rather than the rather awkward shape of a 'plane?

i mentioned the Shorts Sunderland for the same reason, fond memories of building the Airfix kit (and it not floating) ... thankfully the real ones my grandfather built were a little better!

Sorry for the digression Andy ... we obviously need more update piccies ;)

Someone mentioned early Hovercraft.... SR.N1 was at East Cowes late 1959 according to wiki. Did Airfix do a kit? (sorry, not up on what Airfix produced :( ), it could be sat at the boat yard following its "retirement" rather than the rather awkward shape of a 'plane?

I'm sure they did some sort of small hovercraft back in the 1960s- I wasn't interested at the time as it wasn't military. You could always do a cameo of my pal Chris Harper and her dad drifting in front of the ferry when they got a bit distracted when fishing.....

Sunderlands were also based at Pembroke Dock during WW2, covering the southern part of the Western Approaches- there was a preserved example there for many years, but I believe it got moved to either Calshot or Duxford.

Got the crayons out and had a scribble.

post-1-128027131417_thumb.jpg

And then tried to put it into a 'real world' context.

post-1-128027174695_thumb.jpg

That's definitely not to scale, that ferry would be huge!

For anyone who hasn't been to Keyhaven (which is probably in excess of 99% of the population) this snap shows where the car ferry ramp would be.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/19508

Hi Andy

How are you going to hide the end of the turntable on the scenic board? There are not many buildings with a curve end wall.

Peter

Hi Andy

How are you going to hide the end of the turntable on the scenic board? There are not many buildings with a curve end wall.

Peter

Roughly the same way as I do it at the mo with the swinging sector plate - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=blogentry&attach_id=4080 - but the industrial backdrop will extend a bit further.

• RMweb Gold

They did indeed, may have to have one for a novelty. laugh.gif

Shame SR-N1 is stuck in the Science Museum reserve collection at Wroughton. There were all manner of commercial hovercraft on the Solent, though - I remember catching one to the IoW from Southsea. The National Hovercraft Museum is at the aforementioned HMS Daedalus, at Lee on the Solent. I'm thinking, though, that a SR-N4 would be a tad large for Keyhaven..

Re the catalina - there was one at RAF Barkston Heath in a hangar, that belonged to a couple of RAF officers - I think they managed to get it airborne and moved elsewhere when Barkston closed - that would be the late seventies/early eighties - I believe they hoped to use it as a display aircraft.

Fond memories. I made the Walrus as a kid (think it was the Matchbox kit though) and was gutted when it didn't float in the bath!

I actually remember quite vividly watching a black and white war film in which one of these Walruses landed to pick up a downed flyer (perhaps) and it hit a modest wave on landing and pancaked over it. That was the biggest problem with seaplanes, too much wave = can't get up to flying speed. Too little wave = very long unstick time. No wonder they quickly changed to the air sea rescue launches. That might make a good model, lots of those about in the sixties as houseboats (nobody could afford the petrol costs of running them!)

To see what happens with a fast taxi in a seaplane (one of the single fuselage float types with outriggers) watch Murphy's War.

I do like seaplanes but recognise their shortcomings. When I was sailing the Medway there was a privately owned Widgeon that used to fly from there (the Medway is one of the designated landing/take off places in England) but even that was only allowed mid week. Too many other boats on the weekend.

I also navigated the designated seaplane tender for the Medway which doubled as the Hoo Marina workboat.

The Medway had a branch of Shorts at Rochester and regular seaplane movements of the pre war civil ones but closed for that donkey's years ago.

• RMweb Gold

Sounds very interesting Andy, I like what you have come up with.

Funny as I was looking at Keyhaven as an example of a place with a sluice gate the other day before construction of my own. (Which is nothing like it I hasten to add!)

Interesting also that there have been several mentions of seaplanes (inc. the Walrus and Catalina, both of which will be on my layout) and RAF Calshot.

The similarities don't end there either - I am likely to have a 360 degree circular fiddle yard too.

Anyway, looks like a fantastic project and I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. This area of the South Coast seems to be very popular with modellers at the moment.

• RMweb Premium

Here's a deal for you Andy , get it to Taunton and I'll treat you to a pasty . ohmy.gif

try tempting him with a pasty AND something to wash it down too - i can almost see the midnight oil being burnt now.

• RMweb Premium

Andy

being serious for a moment - will the larger multi-board k2yhaven still fit in your family motor or are you thinking of a small van for transport?

The way the suggestions are coming in you'll need a big box just for the sea planes, boats and hovercraft. Having recently watched the hovercraft near Ryde it would be impressive if you could fake one rising up on skirts with trusters going full pelt with dcc noise to match. Very different.

Archived