Hornby Terrier

JohnR

• RMweb Gold

I'm surprised that this hasnt been commented elsewhere. But it appears that the collectors club special edition this year will be the Hornby Terrier 0-6-0T in LSW livery, numbered 735. This of course was one of the two purchased specially to work the Lyme Regis branch.

Has this been announced in the magazine or a heard rumour might I ask? If it is that, then I'm re-joining the club!

Speaking of Terrier's in general, I'd like to see a Stepney and/or Fenchurch re/released. I know Dapol did do a Stepney way back when... but I'd like one released so I'm certain to get one!

I posted about this on Thursday http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/26836-lswr-terrier-735/

I repost it here and the one of the mods can lock one of the threads.

Saw this in an advert on the back of the free Hornby Magazine calendar. It is due out in the second quarter of 2011.

It costs £39.99 for Collector Club members or £64.99 for non members. (or to look at it another way buy it for £64.99 and get a years free membership :) )

P&P is free for the UK, £10 Europe or £15 rest of the world

Edit: or this could become a general Hornby Terrier thread?

• RMweb Gold

Apologies, Paul, I didnt see your post.

Now seeing as we have had a LSW M7, a LSW T9 and now a LSW Terrier, could we see some rolling stock for them to pull? Even if it was something like the old Triang clerestories (with elliptical roofs) in the appropriate salmnon pink and brown livery. NOt one for the pureists, but its better than nothing!

Apologies, Paul, I didnt see your post.

Now seeing as we have had a LSW M7, a LSW T9 and now a LSW Terrier, could we see some rolling stock for them to pull? Even if it was something like the old Triang clerestories (with elliptical roofs) in the appropriate salmnon pink and brown livery. NOt one for the pureists, but its better than nothing!

I only count rivets when it suits me. Some rather fine ex-LSW coach models have been made out of Triang clerestories, and I doubt the market has dried up. A pair (brake third/brake compo) in Maunsell green behind Kernow's 3329 and 225 would compel attention.

PB

I have just seen the advert in the Hornby 2011 Calendar and thought I would check to see if their were any comments already about it as I have a few.

I have just recently researched this loco as I am in the process of finishing off a replacement to run on the P4 Lee-on-the-Solent Layout in pre-1912 configuration using a K's body and Comet Chassis

The Terrier is advertised as an A1X Class. Firstly 735 (Formerly 668 Clapham) was never actually rebuilt to A1X class and secondly the model shows it after feedwater heater pipes were removed in Aug 1912 and has original short Bunker which is one of the distinguishing features between the classes. The brakes are incorrect as well as they should be wooden or cast iron block representations. Archive pictures show that post 1912 the loco was fitted with motor train equipment and still present in 1928 , 8 years before it was withdrawn in 1936. The Steam dome is also as it was prior to 1912 Boiler change. The chimney is correct up to 1920 when an Adams Stove pipe variant was fitted.

In conclusion the Hornby Model does not fit any moment in its history without some modification. However saying that I am sure it is an excellent model.

....I have just recently researched this loco as I am in the process of finishing off a replacement to run on the P4 Lee-on-the-Solent Layout in pre-1912 configuration using a K's body and Comet Chassis.....

Well, I feel god about that, P4 and using a K's body on a Comet Chassis. I'm EM, but have used the K's body with a little bit of tweeking (and it must be nearly 45 years old), on a comet chassis - the K's chassis had been modified by me about 35 years ago, but was worn out, so replaced with the Comet.

People at Exhibitions think the Terrier is a Hornby body and seem very surprised when told it's an old K's - it's lettered up as a non-prototype sold out of service colliery engine.

Many thanks Jerry for the run down on what it should look like. Despite the inaccuracies, I'll probably end up buying one - I find it easy to 'suspend disbelief' when it comes to the terrier in a way that I can't seem to do with other engines! Cuteness goes a long way...

Mr Stroudley's Improved Engine Green...................

I thought it was 'sage green' for the LSWR. Wasn't young Mr. Stroudley on the LB&SCR?

There was a lot of debate about what the LSWR green really looked like when Hornby put a computer generated image of the T9 on their website. The colour was very wrong and did not represent what the collectors' club model eventually looked like at all. There still doesn't seem to be a lot of consensus on what the colour really should look like but the version used in preservation on the T9 in the 1960s? seems to be considered appropriate by many.

From the quick look I got of the image for the LSWR version of the Terrier it looks as if Hornby have decided to fit the smokebox extension piece that is usually supplied in the detailing pack to give it the A1x appearance. Very strange given that, as has been stated already, 735 was supplied to the LSWR in original A1 form. Its also strange as the various examples of the Dapol/Honby Terrier that I have, regardless of the locomotive portrayed, have never come with this modification fitted. Hopefully they will at least correct this anomaly when the actual model is produced.

I agree that, nice little model that it is, it could really do with bringing up to modern standards and perhaps they could take the opportunity to produce both the small and large (IOW) bunker versions and the different splashers at the same time as Dapol have done with their N gauge version.

There is certainly no shortage of liveries that they could go for. They produced it for a short while in KESR blue livery; one of the later KESR green liveries would also be nice (of course No.3 / 32670 had the KESR's own variation on the extended bunker)or how about WCPR livery (they've already done the GWR livery that these ended there days in). Perhaps producing them in Isle of Wight Central or Freshwater Yarmouth and Newport liveries might be wishful thinking, probably far too limited a market although I'd ceratinly go for one of each!

Patrick

Yes they do seem to have fitted the smokebox extension - very strange.

I think that Hornby have not produced an upgraded terrier simply because the old one sells so well. I also suspect that people collect them to some extent - I know I have half a dozen, and I am sure I am not alone. The model is of course a good little runner and just right for a limited space layout, and it is also one of the only RTR engines that you can comfortably put on a Colonel Stephens inspired branch.

Perhaps Hornby could continue the present model in the Railroad range, and bring out a more detailed/accurate version which could embrace all the detail and livery variations. Having said that, though, I do quite like the ruggedness of the present version...what do other people think?

Well yes, I have to agree with most of what you say there 90rob. I have four or five myself in various liveries. My main standard gauge interest is in light railways (and some of the quainter Southern lines) hence my interest in Terriers. The model as it is makes a nice base for detailing and bashing. Its price works well in its favour for those of us that want to do this but don't feel happy taking a saw to a £70 or £80 plus loco. You might have a point about doing as Railroad with more modern version in the main range. Looking at what Hornby did with the M7 and T9 etc. and how the Model Rail Sentinel and Kernow Beattie from Dapol are shaping up it seems a shame that such a popular machine as the Terrier isn't in the same league deatil wise.

Personally I'd like to see an A1X without the sandbox splashers with choice oforiginal and IOW style bunker for a start with perhaps an A1 that could be offered in a variety of early and unusual liveries over time. In the meantime however it looks like I'll be taking the tools to one!

• RMweb Premium

I would certainly like to see an RTR Terrier model to today's standards. The Hornby one comes from the old Dapol tooling, that was a serious compromise done to try and get away with not producing any accurate variations. Even the original A1 form, which it's closest too, is not properly represented. However, as others have said, the current model still sells well, and without strong showings in 'wish lists' (be they internet, magazine or manufacturer derived) I doubt very much we will see something better soon. That's why I'm still going to build the Westward kit I've got (when I have funds to acquire the various extras like wheels, motor and the like).

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just received a letter from Hornby stating that "due to unforeseen circumstances with the shipping schedule" they will not be able to despatch it until the week commencing 26th September.

Well... unless I'm very much mistaken, it is now the 26th September! It probable a safe bet that when the LSWR terriers start arriving that confirmation will appear on these pages. If I get mine first I'll let you know.

RP

Personally I'd like to see an A1X without the sandbox splashers with choice oforiginal and IOW style bunker for a start with perhaps an A1 that could be offered in a variety of early and unusual liveries over time. In the meantime however it looks like I'll be taking the tools to one!

As a matter of interest, has anyone successfully removed the sandbox splashers without personal injury?

Archived