Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Cliches on layouts

Lying in bed last night unable to sleep, I began to ponder the cliches that get modelled on layouts. Not being particularly knowledgeable on many aspects of the hobby, it occurred to me that I don't really know many.

The only ones I could come up with were:

The GWR branch line, buses on bridges, weddings outside a church, and roadworks.

What other cliches exist in our hobby? Are there any which 'add' to the overall scene? I assume the best way to avoid cliches is for careful research of the prototype. I assume that you will have your own opinions of cliches, and some of you will consider certain scenes cliched, whilst others will not

Finally, there is potential for a thread such as this to get a little out of hand - let's retain our decorum and enjoy an interesting discussion.

• Like 1

The GWR branchline terminus, complete with station, small shed and goods shed/coal yard

The "depot" scene with overly-branded industrial buildings "EWS, DRS ect", in an unrealistic small space

The modern station terminus, complete with half the layout as a MPD servicing only freight locomotives

A large collection of rare locomotives and one-off spceials, all appearing togeather

In general - too much stock and locomotives on the layout at one time

perhaps also, a layout where something is always moving?

I believe there are many, many things or scenes that can be rather cliched on layouts and these can be cameos, businesses and so on.

How about the 'road accident' or 'road works' complete with flashing lights everywhere, 'burning building' similar,

Church scenes - wedding, funeral (what else could there be thats 'modelable' in a church scene?),

"Bodgit & Scarper" - builders,

"I. Sackfull" - coal merchants,

"U. Sueme, I. Sueyou" solicitors and so on.

I think that in the right context such scenes can be beneficial - if, for instance one had a layout that is purely for entertainment, such scenes add 'character' wheras if such a scene were added to a 'Pendon' then it could be completely out of context (a 'serious' representation of a particular prototype!) and distract from the overall impression being formed.

Personally, I don't really find a GWR (or any other) BLT to be cliched anymore, it may be the builder has strong memories of (or feelings for) such a place or it may be the builder has no room, time or cash to model anything else. I believe the import thing is that the builder has actually rolled sleeves up and got something built - whether it's for exhibition or personal use only, doesn't matter - it's the modelling that counts!

Cheers,

John E.

PS Is a cliche (on a layout) a cliche because it has been done a hundred times or is it because it is a 'cute scene'?

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Figures in mid action! Aargh! As far as figures are concerned, still poses and 'less is more'. Overworked 'cameos' and as has been said, wheels (loco and wagon) littered about a one road engine shed!....but then 'each to their own' I suppose!;)

Pennine - interesting reading that thread. I did do a search to see if anything had been covered, but nothing popped up.

PLD - I had completely forgotten to refer to the old incarnation...

The "depot" scene with overly-branded industrial buildings "EWS' date=' DRS ect", in an unrealistic small space[/quote']

Better not look at my layout! I shall only be having 1 small sign with the operator on a depot building. I guess the small space comes from people not having enough room for a full model of a depot?

I just fail to see how any particular layout can be defined as a "cliche" and the GWR BLT possibly least so :(

The cliches tend to be those plonk on the layout cameos that seem to get everywhere they probably never were or are repeated on every layout when they were a rare sight.

Some like the whitewashed cattle wagon example may simply be lack of research or an ill defined period for the layout (also running a particular loco that never was in that era - just because you like the look of it) others might have validity like empty wagons - they did exist - these are all really simple mistakes or "its my layout I'll run what I want" so should not be heavily criticised they are no worse than the whole idea of running trains round and round in circles.

There is nothing wrong with a cameo when it truly fits in to the theme and overall appearance of the layout and when it is done well.

• RMweb Premium

The term cliché itself raises an interesting discussion point… What exactly is it?

To my mind, a cliché on a model railway is the fire, with a full complement of flashing lights…or along similar lines, the road accident. Once upon a time, they were novelties; now they are common-place and now clichés. The same with the Dr Who Tardis. Once they were rare; now, with Harburn’s producing a police box, the Good Doctor seems to be cropping up in all manner of places – as is his wont.

Is the GWR BLT a cliché? It could be argued so… By virtue of a wide variety of structures, stock – both kit and r-t-r, and other accessories in all gauges; not to mention the huge amount of research material available, this has been the number 1 source of inspiration for layouts in the UK. Just because it is a cliché, does not mean to say that it is implausible, or incorrect in any way.

Clichés can also be common place scenarios, not just once-in-a-blue-moon events that crop up on every layout. Graffiti is appearing more an more on modern layouts; as is general urban grot like fly-tipping – again Harburn Hobbies have assisted with this by producing various old sofas, bed, fridges and other discarded detritus. Looks effective, and realistic; but after a while layouts with these details stop being out of the ordinary and become common-place.

They can also be techniques as well. The mirror on a backscene, for example, to trick the eye…

I should add that clichés are not always a bad thing. Sometimes it is just modelling techniques catching up; sometimes it is just that a manufacturer produces something ‘everyday’ that was once the preserve of a skilled modeller, but is now accessible to all.

• Like 1

The term cliché itself raises an interesting discussion point… What exactly is it?

For me its that "Every layout must have one" feature regardless of how common the subject was in real life - the every US layout has a grain silo from the thread on the old forum being the classic...

That can come from lack of thought at the design stage or could also include the model-of-a-model copying of a feature from another layout resulting in what was perfectly accurate and apropriate on the original model appearing inapropriately on 2 dozen other layouts!

I don't think an entire layout genre such as the GWR BLT or Diesel Depot can be called a cliche (every one could be an excelent individual model) except possibly the (very few really) copies-of-copies-of-other-layouts with the identikit buildings and the same track layout etc...

I would not call it a cliche but one scene I have observed incorrectly modelled on more than one layout is an old church perched close to the railway line, often near a cutting.

The conservative Victorians would never have dug a cutting near a cemetary, both out of respect for the dead but also through fear of accidentally digging into a plague pit.

• Like 1

For me its that "Every layout must have one" feature regardless of how common the subject was in real life - the every US layout has a grain silo from the thread on the old forum being the classic...

Not strictly true, but alot do seem to have a stolen car wrapped around a telegraph pole with the necessary Police car in attendance....

I would not call it a cliche but one scene I have observed incorrectly modelled on more than one layout is an old church perched close to the railway line, often near a cutting.

The conservative Victorians would never have dug a cutting near a cemetary, both out of respect for the dead but also through fear of accidentally digging into a plague pit.

I believe the construction of the approaches to at least one of the major London termini required relocating many bodies from a graveyard.

I can't remember the context now but I recall a story about an American tourist commenting on a UK railway "didn't they build the tithe barn too close to the railroad?"

• Like 1

Guest jim s-w

I believe the construction of the approaches to at least one of the major London termini required relocating many bodies from a graveyard.

Theres a grave yard under the Derby end of New Street. I was told that when they did track work there everyone had to wear bio-hazard suits. Slightly worryingly, its the same end as the public subway.

Cheers

Jim

Guest jim s-w

Going back on topic for a moment.

I dont think a whole layout can be a Cliché just parts of it. Copies of layouts are not cliché in my mind they are just lazy.

Its like the model railway version of a Hollywood disaster movie. the man with the end is nigh sign (seen him on layouts too) the way the dog always makes it etc etc. Lets not be to dismissive of the model railway version of popcorn fodder as some people love that sort of thing. It depends if you are trying to make the model railway version of Scary movie (yep seen death on many model railways as well) or Shawshank Redemption. Both have an audience

Cheers

Jim

A few others....

Tracks curved around at each end of a layout (train-set roundy-round stylee) before disappearing through the scenic break - usually yet another tunnel.

A busy High St. with shops all down one side and a railway on the other ???????? Ahhhhh!

(Usually the shops line the backscene, with the street in front of them (all on a higher level), then a retaining wall and the railway at the front)

Policeman questioning a couple of lads.

A flasher !!!!

Unrealistic positioning of characters on station platforms. Not a cliché as such, but a common enough fault that appears on many exhibition layouts.

• RMweb Premium

Whilst not really a cliche the use of Noch or similar "humorous" figures is frequently overdone.

The other one to look out for is the mandatory breakdown train that seems to appear on many layouts whether required or not.

I've seen photos of two layouts with The Beatles crossing the road at Zebra Crossings.......................one I can understand as the operators were questioned as to why they weren't there.

This is really a case of less is more (with regard to figures).

Best, Pete.

Really? I pass by one every time I take the Central Line and you clearly didn't use trains into Oxford from the south where the several minute pause alongside the cemetery for almost every arriving train was notorious. I agree though about old churches simply because parish churches were more often than not in the heart of the community they served and the railway tended to run on the edge. Poorer housing tended to be built alongside railways so non-conformist chapels would have been more likely.

I think the problem with clichés is that they detract from the sense of being taken into a real world. You do very occasionally see the fire service putting out a fire - there was one round here in a shed a few weeks ago- but it usually only takes them a few minutes: you do sometimes see the police questioning someone and it's not that unusual to pass a church with a wedding party outside. What you never see is all those at the same time so it's surely better to model little vignettes of the scenes that you really do see every day.

Although I personally find them rather boring I'm not sure though why grain silos would be seen as a cliché on American layouts. In many parts of N.America they are the dominant traffic generator and often the most prominent feature of the rural landscape. Much the same is true of large tracts of rural France and in both cases following the line of silos is often a good way of tracing the route of even closed railway lines where almost every station had its own silo. Nowadays all but the largest tend to be served by road and there has been a tendency for smaller silos to close so that in France the countryside is littered with derelict silos alongside equally derelict railways.