Hornby announce the SR Cattle wagon

Garethp8873

My favourite OO announcement of 2015...!! A very exciting entry to the current pre-1948 market of Grouping wagons and one I look forward to seeing slowly develop over the next several months. Also very happy to see Hornby focusing on the Maunsell version. Finally I can add some SR Cattle wagons to my GWR, LMS and LNER rake...!! :)

Four versions have been announced:

R6737 BR (ex-SR) Cattle Wagon - Maunsell

R6737A BR (ex-SR) Cattle Wagon - Maunsell

r6735_-r6737.jpg

R6735 SR Cattle Wagon - Bulleid

R6735A SR Cattle Wagon - Bulleid

r6735_-r6735a.jpg

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 10

Looks a cracker, doesn't it. Judging from the picture, it also looks like we might not have to wait too long for it.........

John

This is one of the wagons I've been longing to get onto my layout for ages. A cattle rake doesn't look right without all four companies vans in it personally. I will be watching this wagon very closely...

• Like 1

I confused by the Bulleid/Maunsell naming of the different models. Does this mean that they've tooled up the two different diagrams of SR cattle van?

All the versions are the Maunsell version. The Bullied version was different as it was a steel framed van and the ends were different. If you have SR Wagons Vol.4, the Bullied version is on P.84.

• RMweb Gold

I confused by the Bulleid/Maunsell naming of the different models. Does this mean that they've tooled up the two different diagrams of SR cattle van?

I believe it is single tooling for a diagram 1529 wagon, I think it is the way that Hornby are differentiating between the pre 1936, large SR lettered style and post 1936 small SR lettered style liveries

[Edit: noe duly correctly in thread below as further information now confirms both diagrams 1529 and the later diagram 1530 versions are being produced, just a shame there is not one of each listed against both SR and BR liveries.

Edited by Graham_Muz

Having just made up the Parkside 7mm kit I am impressed with this. One small mistake that is immediately obvious is the bar between the axleguards. On the prototype it is a rod and not a bar. Also, it is not usual to require such a tie when clasp brakes are used, so there are several photos in the SR wagon books of them in later days which show they were removed.

The vacuum pipes need watching, they are handed on the prototype.

But I am being picky, a very nice choice of prototype with one of the unusual SR brake riggings. Also the modelling of where the roof canvas is held in place on the end is very nice, a detail frequently overlooked.

Paul

• Like 2

Helpful info.

I guess the tie-bar, if provided, might be easier to remove than to add.

I note you say different brake gear - does this create opportunities for further use of underframe, or is the wheelbase unique to this vehicle?

Is there a preserved one this possibly scanned from?

Not particularly familiar with Southern goods stock!

Good to see Hornby realising the scope for modern models of goods stock.

Thanks,

Having just made up the Parkside 7mm kit I am impressed with this. One small mistake that is immediately obvious is the bar between the axleguards. On the prototype it is a rod and not a bar. Also, it is not usual to require such a tie when clasp brakes are used, so there are several photos in the SR wagon books of them in later days which show they were removed.

The vacuum pipes need watching, they are handed on the prototype.

But I am being picky, a very nice choice of prototype with one of the unusual SR brake riggings. Also the modelling of where the roof canvas is held in place on the end is very nice, a detail frequently overlooked.

Paul

Well, that's going to do yet more to make my old pair of LNER scratchbuilds look pretty shabby in my 'off the GE section seasonal veg' train, a process started by the BR standard type appearing. Apart from ferry traffic between the UK and Ireland, was there much general cattle traffic on BR circa 1960?

There was still a bit left; from the Scottish Islands via Kyle was a relatively late survivor (1970-ish?), and odd wagons crop up elsewhere. Look through some of the online collections of photos, such as:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/

and you'll probably find something.

I saw a shot somewhere recently of a Clayton at Newcastle Central with a pick-up freight with a couple of BR cattle vans behind the loco. That would have been during the late 1960s. All a far cry from pre-war days in our village in Kent, when the seasonal sheep markets would see a hundred or so wagons being handled.

Is there a preserved one this possibly scanned

Mid Hants recently did a rebuild of Maunsell design using a LMS Vanfit Van. Not 100% accurate though when you compare it to the original prototype.

The other is a BR version based on the Bullied design and is at Mangapps.

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2016/sr-cattle-wagon-bulleid-1.html

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2016/br-ex-sr-cattle-wagon-maunsell-1.html

I've just had a look at the Hornby website via the link at the beginning of this thread and some more pictures have been added - including some of the Bulleid cattle wagon. 

Yes guys, they are going to do Diagrams 1529 AND 1530.

John

Post has been updated with todays information. Whilst I'm very happy we'll now be seeing both the Maunsell and Bullied versions coming out, I'm rather concerned that only the Bullied versions are coming out in SR livery at the moment in time. I know this sounds picky as they were only announced yesterday but I just hope it gets changed soon... :)

I am very pleased to see this as I am modelling the Swanage Railway which had cattle docks at Swanage and Corfe Castle stations. They have recently rebuilt the cattle dock at Corfe Castle Station. I liked the opening doors on the Airfix BR cattle wagon and the doors on the Hornby version look almost as if you could open them. I wonder if Oxfordrail were working on a Southern cattle wagon to go with their Adams Radial tank locomotive.

• RMweb Gold

Post has been updated with todays information. Whilst I'm very happy we'll now be seeing both the Maunsell and Bullied versions coming out, I'm rather concerned that only the Bullied versions are coming out in SR livery at the moment in time. I know this sounds picky as they were only announced yesterday but I just hope it gets changed soon... :)

Or, to look at it the other way, only the Maunsell ones are coming out in BR livery in 2016.

I imagine both situations will be redressed in 2017 or maybe Hornby could just do one of each in each livery instead of alternative running numbers?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Or, to look at it the other way, only the Maunsell ones are coming out in BR livery in 2016.

I imagine both situations will be redressed in 2017 or maybe Hornby could just do one of each in each livery instead of alternative running numbers?

John

I'm hoping that Hornby will do one Maunsell and Bullied in SR livery and vice versa in BR. At the moment though I will see how things go.

• RMweb Premium

Well, that's going to do yet more to make my old pair of LNER scratchbuilds look pretty shabby in my 'off the GE section seasonal veg' train, a process started by the BR standard type appearing. Apart from ferry traffic between the UK and Ireland, was there much general cattle traffic on BR circa 1960?

I've got a DVD with a freight being banked up the incline to Exeter Central circa 1961/2 (Zs banking) with a mix of 5 cattle wagons in the formation including SR versions.

Great news.....thanks.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

John

Or a little bit of modelling/repaint?

Stewart