Hornby announce the SR Cattle wagon

Garethp8873

Shows the Oxford LNER abortion up somewhat.

Unsurprisingly in my opinion. An outfit well experienced in 4mm model railway production vs. an experieinced model making business, new to 4mm model railway and only on its third group of new introductions. There are traps to avoid in matching the best standard already attained, a good demonstration that it isn't perhaps as easy as some might think.

• Like 1

Whilst I'm fully praising both the Maunsell and Bullied examples regardless of livery, I have to admit though that I find the floor to be rather 'orange' personally. Other than that I am still stunned when I look at them.

My only worry now is, following me purchasing the SR examples this year and next year, what wagon do I hope and pray is announced next...??? Hornby, Bachmann and Oxford have practically answered my prayers all at once this year...!!

Edited by Garethp8873

• RMweb Gold

Shows the Oxford LNER abortion up somewhat.

Hopefully, they'll observe, take note and improve. That or sit back and watch people lap up inferiority just because it's cheap.

Maybe the person in Hornby's video lifting up the BR Maunsell Cattle wagon to show the underside is a hidden reference to Oxford forgetting to add a vacuum cylinder to their LNER example...? It's unusual for Hornby to show us the underside of any piece of rolling stock.

Maybe the person in Hornby's video lifting up the BR Maunsell Cattle wagon to show the underside is a hidden reference to Oxford forgetting to add a vacuum cylinder to their LNER example...? It's unusual for Hornby to show us the underside of any piece of rolling stock.

I wondered the same thing. Not such a hidden reference, really - rather, a good piece of marketing!

Whilst I'm fully praising both the Maunsell and Bullied examples regardless of livery, I have to admit though that I find the floor to be rather 'orange' personally. Other than that I am still stunned when I look at them.

My only worry now is, following me purchasing the SR examples this year and next year, what wagon do I hope and pray is announced next...??? Hornby, Bachmann and Oxford have practically answered my prayers all at once this year...!!

Yeah the orange floor is, indeed, rather odd and seems to be Hornby copying Oxford ( inside of L.N.E.R. open wagons ) for some reason !!?!

......... and next ?  -  D'you think Hornby have noticed that the exact self same chassis was used under Maunsell cattle wagons and Maunsell meat vans ( There's a certain irony there ! ) ..... an investment in tooling that's too good to waste surely ??!?

• Like 1

So are there any decent scale cows to go with these?

Without wishing to start yet another livery debate / slanging match / thread ..... don't forget that bovine colours in the cattle wagon era would NOT have been wall-to-wall black and white ( Friesian / Holsteins ) but any number of - largely regional - varieties ! ( Shapes and sizes varied too, of course, but are barely discernable inside a wagon.)

• RMweb Gold

Yeah the orange floor is, indeed, rather odd and seems to be Hornby copying Oxford ( inside of L.N.E.R. open wagons ) for some reason !!?!

......... and next ?  -  D'you think Hornby have noticed that the exact self same chassis was used under Maunsell cattle wagons and Maunsell meat vans ( There's a certain irony there ! ) ..... an investment in tooling that's too good to waste surely ??!?

Where's that "I do hope so" button?........ :jester:

• Like 1

Look at this thread Hornby... use your SR Maunsell Cattle wagon chassis for a SR D1486 Meat Van please!!

Give 'em a chance ! .... the first cattle wagons are still two months away an' the second lot of liveries some time next year .............................................. maybe then ... er, please !!?!

• Like 1

All four models have now a release date of the 10/11/2016.

OK 2½ months ( nobody's told Hattons they've slipped a couple of weeks ) .............. then the second four some time in 2017 with a bit of luck ( but that's only a mastter of different paint so the design team can get on with a meat van body  -  if they're so inclined : clearly there's a market for at least TWO ! - and scope for quite a few livery options )

• 2 weeks later...

An SR Fish Van would be welcome too :)

Any suggestion as to what diagram that would be?  I understand that there were pre-grouping fish vans but have not found a specific fish van from SR days. 

I had understood the fish from Padstow traveled in any ventilated van available of even an available "utility" van. 

I could imagine it somewhat poetic that the daily Padstow newspaper BG could be loaded with fish for the return trip to London.

Wickham's comment may be true that:

Sounds a bit fishy that suggestion ......

....... or was it just a red herring to throw us off topic ?

Edited by autocoach

But that is an LBSCR pre-grouping van not a Southern Railway van.  It appears to use openings between the side boards (slatted sides?) for the necessary ventilation in an unrefrigerated  fish van. Superficially similar to a cattle wagon.  However the wheelbase is not given and it probably does not have the underframe and brake components of 1930's and 1940's wagons such as the Maunsell and Bulleid wagons Hornby is importing.

Anyway it has frequently been discussed in these forums that the current batch methods of production in China usually mean that the dies for part of one model cannot necessarily be used to create an alternate model unless that design was written into the production contract with the factory and the tooling is retained usable. As Hornby models are frequently made by different independent factories on based on production scheduling availability often with incompatible manufacturing systems,  moving dies and other manufacturing components from one factory to another would probably cost more than making the new model from scratch.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

But that is an LBSCR pre-grouping van not a Southern Railway van.  It appears to use openings between the side boards (slatted sides?) for the necessary ventilation in an unrefrigerated  fish van. Superficially similar to a cattle wagon.  However the wheelbase is not given and it probably does not have the underframe and brake components of 1930's and 1940's wagons such as the Maunsell and Bulleid wagons Hornby is importing.

It almost certainly wouldn't have components in common with anything besides other LBSCR wagons. Few (if any) wagons built by that company even conformed to RCH standards and the SR shifted most of those they retained to the Isle of Wight or the Engineer's Department to prevent them straying.

I presume that what little fish traffic the SR did handle went in utility vans. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling