Hornby announce the SR Cattle wagon

Garethp8873

So by the fact that the running number of the BR liveried 'Bulleid' cattle wagons start with a 'B', does it means that they were built after '48?

The Hornby Bulleid cattle wagons in BR bauxite represent one of 150 Diagram 1530 vehicles ordered on 1 August 1947 under order No.A(Ashford)3446. They were allocated SR numbers (52001-150) but, as they were delivered between October and December 1949, they were outshopped with the BR numbers B891250-399.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Hornby Bulleid cattle wagons in BR bauxite represent one of 150 Diagram 1530 vehicles ordered on 1 August 1947 under order No.A(Ashford)3446. They were allocated SR numbers (52001-150) but, as they were delivered between October and December 1949, they were outshopped with the BR numbers B891250-399.

BR allocated them Diagram 1/351.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 2 weeks later...

R6826A is numbered 'B891214' which appears to belong in a batch of ex LMS diag cattle wagons built around the same time. Presumably this is a mistake - or is there any reason to think (or photographic evidence) that either the written record of original numbering was wrong, or that there was some subsequent renumbering? 

(A trivial thing in the grand scheme of things of course.)

• RMweb Premium

R6826A is numbered 'B891214' which appears to belong in a batch of ex LMS diag cattle wagons built around the same time. Presumably this is a mistake - or is there any reason to think (or photographic evidence) that either the written record of original numbering was wrong, or that there was some subsequent renumbering? 

A mistake, I'd guess - the number block for 1/351 (SR type) was in the middle of the 1/350 (LMS type) group.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Photos of B891313 in service and B891364, after conversion to a tunnel inspection wagon appear in British Railway Wagons Vol. 5 (Cheona 1997). Both are ex-SR designs. Where did you find your info?

• RMweb Premium

Photos of B891313 in service and B891364, after conversion to a tunnel inspection wagon appear in British Railway Wagons Vol. 5 (Cheona 1997). Both are ex-SR designs. Where did you find your info?

Same place as I did, probably - Rowland's BR wagon 'bible'.

BR Diagram 1/351 (SR type) were numbered B891250 - B891399 which, as you point out, includes the two examples that you have found photos for - but NOT B891214 ,which is the number that Hornby have used.

As I have previously posted, "... the number block for 1/351 (SR type) was in the middle of the 1/350 (LMS type) group".

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Found someone selling them with free postage on ebay so treated myself to one of the SR Maunsell ones, I'll buy the other in due course, I've accepted the rising costs of model railways and frequently defended Hornby, however even I find £20 for a relatively small wagon to be a little... Uncomfortable. Reviews at least seem to suggest they're worth the price tag.

Apologies - I misread your post. When I first looked at the Hornby cattle wagons I believed they were numbered (unusually) consecutively, i.e. 891313 and 891314; hence the tone of my reply.

This is regrettably a Hornby error. I am glad the one I opted to buy was B891313!

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

I am happy to have bought both - but wanted to check before I renumber (or try to forget the inaccuracy).

I'd guess someone misread B891274 ........ should be easy enough to change - but then the cattle can't read anyway - so what's it matter ?

What DOES matter - now that a significant proportion of the livery variants have been issued - is to give Hornby another SUBTLE REMINDER that the Maunsell meat van had the same chassis as his cattle wagons.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Hornby SR-liveried Bulleid cattle vans are marked with the small 'N's denoting that they were not common user (NCU) - I'd be interested to know how the SR managed to classify them as NCU when, as I understand it, cattle wagons were pooled by time of the introduction of this type in 1947. Was there some kind of exception for 'new build' vehicles?

It would be good to know if I can run my two Bulleid SR cattle vans in my GWR Cornish broccoli specials, or if they will have to remain only on workings to and from SR locations...

Edited by BenL
  • Informative/Useful 1