Barnetby and the new signaling work

• RMweb Gold

Had a couple of hours spare yesterday as my good lady went Christmas shopping.  So I decided to pop up the 14 miles of A180 to have a look at Barnetby to see where they were with the work.

It was an extremely cold and windy day but there were more folk there with cameras than I have seen for a very long time.  Not a lot of work to be seen going on but a fair few new bits and pieces in situ already and ready to be turned on.

Apparently it will be finished over Christmas and the New Year so not many more chances to see the semaphore signals.  So while I was there I did manage to get a picture of a 60 with the box and signals...well it would have been rude not to!

post-6685-0-51642600-1449926106_thumb.jpg

post-6685-0-87530000-1449926142_thumb.jpg

post-6685-0-01349800-1449926266_thumb.jpg

post-6685-0-62235700-1449926299_thumb.jpg

post-6685-0-67973900-1449926350_thumb.jpg

post-6685-0-31228600-1449926229_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for posting the photos Chris, it's not going to be the same without the semaphores. But then, I said that about Westbury (Wilts), Exeter, Newton Abbott and so on all those years ago.

As a lasting reminder of the North Lincolnshire semaphores Locomaster Profiles have released a DVD which I found fascinating http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105506-farewell-to-arms-locomaster-profiles-dvd/?p=2107859 .

There have been some excellent pics taken and posted recently on a closed Facebook site, Transport and Industry in North Lincolnshire. Some crackers taken at dusk/sunset.

I live no more than 15 miles away, but every time I go, I hit dead hour...which seems to change to whenever I'm there.

I think you mean this sort of thing? 

Garden Street (a listed box from memory with extra brick work for blast protection 11/89) and Littlefield Lane ?when

Friargate Crossing before and after the arson attack in circa 4/90. Also behind photographer in the arson image is an MSLR boundary stone.  

Also some poor shots at Barnetby with 47.401 peeking out from behind 47.374 around 7/90 and 37.075 with a bunch of sheeted shock-wagons in 9/89 

post-16796-0-31576500-1449946555_thumb.jpeg

post-16796-0-20277100-1449946705_thumb.jpeg

post-16796-0-11729900-1449946721_thumb.jpeg

I'm tempted to travel up to Barnetby on the 22nd or 23rd of December. Anyone with local knowledge able to tell me how much freight will be running that close to Christmas?

Things should be running as normal.

Just a question (I know, this is the no questions section, sorry) but when these lovely semaphores are superseded , do they get unceremoniously felled and skipped or will they be taken down in a manner that they can be reused or sold to collectors?

Not that I'm really in the market for one (though now I think of it it would be nice), but I would expect these would have a decent value, other than just scrap.

TTFN,

Ben

(edited to mention that here in this part of Surrey we don't have any semaphores I know of and so haven't been able to ask and Men In Orange the question)

• RMweb Gold

Just a question (I know, this is the no questions section, sorry) but when these lovely semaphores are superseded , do they get unceremoniously felled and skipped or will they be taken down in a manner that they can be reused or sold to collectors?

Not that I'm really in the market for one (though now I think of it it would be nice), but I would expect these would have a decent value, other than just scrap.

TTFN,

Ben

(edited to mention that here in this part of Surrey we don't have any semaphores I know of and so haven't been able to ask and Men In Orange the question)

I suspect they will go for preservation - helps NR be seen to be green amongst other reasons.  There may be some that get the gas axe treatment of course (chopped down and chopped up) - unlikely to be many private collectors, these things weigh a lot.

• RMweb Premium

TTFN,

Ben

Right, the official answer goes like this:-

(1) All soon to be redundant signalling assets are identified and an inventory drawn up.

(2) The local S&T maintenance division is asked which items they need (note, not 'would like') to retain as strategic spares and put forward appropriate justification.

(3) NRs 'National Delivery Service' then check the list for nationally strategic spares and make a note of anything they wish to keep. This theoretically includes items that 3rd party persons such as preservation groups would like to purchase (note NR normally requires items to be bought from them, unless the item in question has a preservation order or suchlike on it and it is in NRs interests to get rid of it for free).

(4) When the commissioning starts, the local S&T are allowed to come and collect the equipment they have specified earlier on (but nothing else).

(5) Items identified by NDS as strategic spares or which have pre arranged buyers are then removed by contractors for delivery to NDS.

(6) The sub contractors employed by the resignalling project move in and clear away as much as possible while others commission the new equipment. As NR have a policy of not leaving stuff to collect later on in extra possessions this means signals will be felled by gas axes rather than being carefully dismantled etc.

(7) All the recovered equipment gets loaded into skips and scrapped.

It should be noted that any attempts by NR staff to bypass going through NDS with regards to the passing on of redundant signalling kit will be regarded as attempted theft from the company and individuals doing so will be disciplined. This is quite frustrating because I have heard from three separate sources that NDS are a nightmare to deal with and have a distinctly unhelpful attitude to enquiries from preservationists regardless of what NRs publicity machine might say on the matter of redundant kit, leading to many useful items from the recent coastway East and Arun Valley schemes being simply buried in the scrap metal containers rather than being made available for preservation, despite local NR maintenance staff being supportive of preservation efforts.

Sometimes it can happen that the sub contractors may have contacts in the preservation world and items in the scrap pile can occasionally be passed on from them to preservationists outside of NR. Alternatively if the principle contractor or design team have contacts in the preservation world then they may be able to use their influence to ensure certain things are set aside.

• RMweb Premium

I'm tempted to travel up to Barnetby on the 22nd or 23rd of December. Anyone with local knowledge able to tell me how much freight will be running that close to Christmas?

I've just discovered the Realtime Trains site. That will give you some idea of what's going to be about.

Bogs just down the station drive, Fish & Chip Shop in the village and there was a small sarni shop there too. Never used the pub at the station but told it is good for food. Another pub up the main road from the station site. No idea what that's like.

Take warm and or waterproof clothes!!

Phil 

• RMweb Premium

Just remember (according to the railway press) there will be a 5 day COMPLETE CLOSURE of the affected route to allow for commissioning, including ALL freight traffic. This has been pre aranged by NR and the port of Immingham to ensure the timing of the blockade causes the absolute minimum of disruption to freight users (who cannot use rail replacement bus services) so before you head down there please check the situation out carefully.

Just remember (according to the railway press) there will be a 5 day COMPLETE CLOSURE of the affected route to allow for commissioning, including ALL freight traffic. This has been pre aranged by NR and the port of Immingham to ensure the timing of the blockade causes the absolute minimum of disruption to freight users (who cannot use rail replacement bus services) so before you head down there please check the situation out carefully.

When is the complete closure? Looking at the 22nd on RTT, passenger and freight services are pathed but I'm expecting a fair few non-runners and cancellations due to the nature of RTT and the Christmas period. I would be happy with 3 or 4 freights an hour to be fair, much more than I'm used to in Norfolk!

• RMweb Premium

When is the complete closure? Looking at the 22nd on RTT, passenger and freight services are pathed but I'm expecting a fair few non-runners and cancellations due to the nature of RTT and the Christmas period. I would be happy with 3 or 4 freights an hour to be fair, much more than I'm used to in Norfolk!

Northern Rails website shows a big blockade between the 27th Dec and the 10th of Janurary on certain routes, see http://www.northernrail.org/news/7793

As for freight, my understanding is that the actual time rail access to the port of Immingham is being kept as short as possible so it's quite possible commissioning work will concentrate on getting a freight corridor up and running and leave the passenger bits until later on giving a longer blockade for passengers.

The 5 day blockade starts at close of play on Thursday 24th December. Limited freight starts again Wednesday 30th December.

There are no passenger services until Monday 11th January 2016 when all should be back to normal service including freight.

The freight that is expected to run between Christmas and New Year is the Iron Ore to Scunthorpe and Petroleum traffic to Kingsbury.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Today is the last day when the semaphores will control the trains around Barnetby - the sentinels of safety will fall quiet tonight for the last time and then the new work starts. I believe Pasture Street box already has a JCB outside to seal it's fate.

:cry:

Good luck and hopefully a safe time to everyone who is involved in the work and best wishes to those moving to pastures new, be it on or off the railway.

Archived