The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Gold

Gary,

I have no idea why people would assume that you have no idea how to model because you are young and look younger.  However it is a fact of life that certain people will not listen to those who they think are yong and inexperienced.  My son now runs South Reading Churches fun day.  A small event that attracts between 3000- 5000 people.  Before that he used to organise the volunteers and has for a number of years including a street party for 5000 people on the Queens Jubilee.  He is 34, and looks about 20.  I think he has recently been ID'd in a pub.  He says when he goes into a meeting with new people he can tell they look at him with the 'who is this kid?' attitude.  He will deliberately start to talk about his wife and children so that he 'ages' himself so when he speaks people will listen. 

I know this does not relate directly but it happens in all walks of life, both the 'he's too young to know anything', and 'he's too old to know anything'.  We just have to let people judge us on our work and performance and try not to let it get to us.  Then again railway modellers seems to be very picky anyway about all sorts of things but that is another discussion not to fill your thread up with.

• Like 1

I had similar experiences to BG John and I have never found members of the 2MM Scale Association to be anything but helpful and supportive, irrespective of their age or interests.

What annoys me (and we were discussing this at the Perth show yesterday) is people who criticise the accuracy, our otherwise, of a model, but it turns out have never actually built very much, if anything, themselves. As I've said before, read my signature to see my own approach.

Jim

• Like 2

Guest Midland Mole

As someone who is also 28, I do think there are older modellers who look down on younger modellers as 'children' when it comes to having an opinion. I certainly don't think it is the majority, but it DOES happen. The times it has happened with me have not been about modelling, but about the history of the real railways. I have on at least two occasions been told I was wrong about something because, and I quote one of the people, "You were not alive at the time, so how could you know". It gave me great pleasure to present to him next time I saw him a photograph of exactly what I was talking about.....and he was not sure what to say in response!

Sadly these few people get very set in their ways and don't like it when someone younger than them give them an opinion. Luckily most people in our hobby are not like that. :)

There are two other hobbies that I have been involved with over the years where unfortunately, it is the norm....and that is why I don't do them any more! :D

Alex

• RMweb Gold

One of my false starts - i.e. when I almost started railway modelling, but didn't - was when I was a 20-something. 

I joined a club, for the first and last time, but found the levels of condescension simply unbearable.  I thought to myself "hang on, I am after all a practising barrister and an army officer, financially independent and holding down two very responsible roles. Do I really want to be treated like a small child by these grumpy old men?"  

I went and took up a different past-time, where most members of the group were middle-aged and above, but who welcomed me and treated me with the same consideration and respect that I extended to them, and I made firm friendships across the generations.

In both cases I was learning something new. The difference was in the attitude of the established members of the group. 

So, you can judge from that.Gary, that I readily empathise with your experience.

Fortunately we are both in good company here!

That was exactly the sort of thing I was imagining!! I am however very glad it didn't put you off railways forever and that you returned to bring us all CA. Yesterdays "modeller" could have learnt a thing or to from seeing your buildings, all of his were printed paper and the only "weathering" they had was that it appeared someone had spilt water on the roof and the ink had run!!!

I joined my local club when I was 12 or 13, and was a member for about 30 years until I moved away. I was Treasurer for quite a few years too, starting in my 20s I think. I started building my first exhibition layout when I was 20, and exhibited it a lot in my mid to late 20s. I don't think I was ever treated like that, by anyone, regardless of their age. Unless I didn't notice!

It's good to know there are other places trying to encourage youngsters, at Club we have an affiliation with a school and one of our members goes there to run and after school club with 10 or so kids who are very good modellers!!

Gary,

I have no idea why people would assume that you have no idea how to model because you are young and look younger.  However it is a fact of life that certain people will not listen to those who they think are yong and inexperienced.  My son now runs South Reading Churches fun day.  A small event that attracts between 3000- 5000 people.  Before that he used to organise the volunteers and has for a number of years including a street party for 5000 people on the Queens Jubilee.  He is 34, and looks about 20.  I think he has recently been ID'd in a pub.  He says when he goes into a meeting with new people he can tell they look at him with the 'who is this kid?' attitude.  He will deliberately start to talk about his wife and children so that he 'ages' himself so when he speaks people will listen. 

I know this does not relate directly but it happens in all walks of life, both the 'he's too young to know anything', and 'he's too old to know anything'.  We just have to let people judge us on our work and performance and try not to let it get to us.  Then again railway modellers seems to be very picky anyway about all sorts of things but that is another discussion not to fill your thread up with.

That sounds very like how I reacted!!! Just more to show that age doesn't matter!

I had similar experiences to BG John and I have never found members of the 2MM Scale Association to be anything but helpful and supportive, irrespective of their age or interests.

What annoys me (and we were discussing this at the Perth show yesterday) is people who criticise the accuracy, our otherwise, of a model, but it turns out have never actually built very much, if anything, themselves. As I've said before, read my signature to see my own approach.

Jim

I quite agree people that have never built anything should not criticise, I do not consider myself anything more than an average modeller but I would have been ashamed of what was on offer yesterday! I really hope once Hailsham is done it is significantly better than that, and better than Oak Hill for that matter! Oak Hill is after all my "practise" layout!!

As someone who is also 28, I do think there are older modellers who look down on younger modellers as 'children' when it comes to having an opinion. I certainly don't think it is the majority, but it DOES happen. The times it has happened with me have not been about modelling, but about the history of the real railways. I have on at least two occasions been told I was wrong about something because, and I quote one of the people, "You were not alive at the time, so how could you know". It gave me great pleasure to present to him next time I saw him a photograph of exactly what I was talking about.....and he was not sure what to say in response!

Sadly these few people get very set in their ways and don't like it when someone younger than them give them an opinion. Luckily most people in our hobby are not like that. :)

There are two other hobbies that I have been involved with over the years where unfortunately, it is the norm....and that is why I don't do them any more! :D

Alex

I always like being able to do that!! I have a collection of photos to show every detail that may get picked up on when I have Hailsham up and running, they will attend ever exhibition with me, just in case.

And to give a bit more detail, the layout in question was Hailsham station, something I know a fair amount about since I have spent years researching it, the track plan was completely wrong and in some places didn't even make sense, I realise things need compressing but there were sidings there that didn't even attempt to connect to the track, and some rather inaccurate rolling stock. I won't go into any more detail as I don't feel shaming said person publicly would help anything, but if you want to see some photos of the modelling achived by said person the PM me as I got some.

Gary

• Like 5

My "serious" modelling is set in 1905 and the late 1880s. I definitely wasn't alive at the time to see it, but I doubt if many people are! Anything I model that could be within living memory of anyone likely to see it isn't intended to be taken seriously :).

• Like 5

At 84 years of age I must admit that I agree wholeheartedly with all the comments posted.

I am trying to create a model of Midhurst LBSCR Station as originally opened in 1866 and I am sure that there will be some criticism when I start to publish details of what I am doing.

There will be no-one alive who remembers it, but some will still criticise.

Gary, you keep on with what you are doing. It looks OK to me 

Michael dJS

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So. Let's drag this thread back on topic!!

Today has been an "interesting" day, which has meant that I have needed some distractions, this in turn has meant that I have actually dome something!!!!

Lots of little things in fact.

We will start with the GBL Caley tender that will be the tender for G Class single "Stephenson", I have removed the wheels from this cut away the bottom of the chassis and inserted the K's motorised chassis, thus confirming to me that it fits well:

post-22762-0-95535700-1498595120_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-81930700-1498595129_thumb.jpg

This sill needs work on the body to make it more like an LB&SCR tender but I think it is a good start.

I have also been stripping paint off the R1, it's not quite there but its a lot better:

post-22762-0-61395300-1498595133_thumb.jpg

I will be replacing the moulded handrails as well as adding some detailing to this one before painting it in SE&CR livery.

And finally I have started work on a Saloon, it is based on an LB&SCR 6 wheel design, however I have adjusted it to fit onto a ration 4 wheel chassis (taken from a certain carriage that has caused a bit of controversy elsewhere before being retired!).

post-22762-0-30142200-1498595137_thumb.jpg

So a return to modelling, although a bit all over the place, at least I did something!! Would love to hear some feedback!

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

• Like 4

Guest Midland Mole

The more I see of your Caley Single to G Class Single, the more I think what a fascinating idea it is. When finished I'm sure it will be an excellent addition to your fleet. The R1 looks to be a pretty good base, and a sprinkling of detail should set it off just right.

As for the coach, I like the idea of modifying it to fit an existing chassis. And hopefully this one wont cause any controversy! :D

Doing almost anything railway related tends to pick me up a bit when down, so I hope it does for you too. :)

Alex

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Alex,

The G Class may pick up a bit of speed in the near future as I have found some correct sized drivers for it in my spares box, they are quite noticeably smaller than the Caley ones!!

The carriage should make a nice addition when finished, and when tied to a horse box and carriage tuck it should make a nice way for the local landowning family to travel!!

Yes it has helped a lot with my mood today, I got home from work early at about 4ish and have been playing trains ever since!!

Gary

• Like 4

Guest Midland Mole

Nothing beats just playing trains for a while :)

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole

• RMweb Premium

I shall be very interested to hear how you get on with painting and lining the R1. SECR livery is  not exactly a doddle but is very pretty.

have a Rhymney k class 0-6-2ST which is in unlined GWR livery but needs to be in lined RR guise and i have been putting it off for years.

Jonathan

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I shall be very interested to hear how you get on with painting and lining the R1. SECR livery is  not exactly a doddle but is very pretty.

have a Rhymney k class 0-6-2ST which is in unlined GWR livery but needs to be in lined RR guise and i have been putting it off for years.

Jonathan

I have already done the P Class in SE&CR livery, it was not easy, or particularly fun at times but it is still satisfying every time I see it!!

post-22762-0-51694600-1498630165_thumb.jpg

Gary

• Like 10

I have already done the P Class in SE&CR livery, it was not easy, or particularly fun at times but it is still satisfying every time I see it!!

attachicon.gifpclass4.jpg

Gary

You must be a very proud Daddy; she's gorgeous.

Hope you are keeping busy and holding it together.  My top tip for today, as you will see from CA, is 'read a Victorian Sensation Novel!'

I do like the look of that coach, Billington Dia. 94/40 saloon, with clerestory, no less?

What have you done, stuck a photocopy onto plastic card?

Looking forward to further developments to the R1 and Single.

As ever, you put me to shame!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi James,

Yes I am very proud of the P Class, I can't wait to have some carriages for her, Steve (Londontram) is working on that for me at the moment.

I am keeping it together better today, I have been for a rather relaxing walk to town today, with a detour on some of the former Cuckoo line trackbed to the north of Hailsham and a walk around the local pond, I feel a lot better for it.

The carriage is indeed a Billington Dia. 94/40 4 were built in 1903 and they were all broken up in 1925. There was a bit more than sticking a photocopy to Plasticard, it needed a fair amount cutting out, those carriages were surprisingly long! The drawings came from the Model Railway Constructor, and I also have a photo of 301 in LB&SCR days

I am not really putting you to shame, after all this is the first modelling I have done in 2 months!! I will lose my reputation for getting it done quickly if I carry on!!

Gary

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

That is true Matt,

Amongst over things one of the reasons I took the break that I did was that I felt I had done to much, if it wasn't for the offer of the layout being in the Brighton Circle Modellers Digest I was planning on being where I am at the end of the year!! So a break doesn't hurt!!

Gary

PS I have been watching your redo's over on Facebook at they are looking very good!!

• Like 2

Well indeed, they did ask me to do some writing but declined due to other commitments, and I would like the hobby to be an escape rather than a job... although it's turning in to one. I was quite lucky to have the layout in one mag quite early and one... soon for the end of it's career if you like.

I haven't done many new videos as of late (problem being 2 hours away from the layout) hopefully I will have time at the end of July to do some before heading back as well as the layout now working again.

cheers

• Like 3

Good Morning,

I love reading these updates especially when on my lunch break at work. My own LBSC/SR layout isn't anywhere near this level. You've given me some interesting ideas about the Gladstone & coaches etc. I am modifying a set of Ratio Midland coaches into a LBSC Pull-Push set myself. But I am particularly interested in your R1 refurbishment, I bought one myself off of Ebay years ago described as a Wills P Class in need of a touch up, it was infact a Dublo R1 that had been crudely converted to EM Gauge - its languished in the projects box as it needs a new chassis (the current one being EM and in bits, I don't even have all of the bits!) and repairs to the bodywork to become a runner again.

I await the next update :-D

Kind Regards,

Gary

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gary (Great name btw!!),

Thanks for posting, it's always good to hear that people enjoy my modelling. I clicked follow on your thread long before I ever dreamed of being able to model the Brighton!!

The Ratio Midland carriages are a good start for an LB&SCR push/pull if you ask me! There is a good photo of the driving end on the cover of "The Southern Way" volume 11 and it also has pictures of inside the cab in an article inside, I copied these for detailing mine, I can scan them and PM some pictures if you want?

With the R1 I plan on using the original chassis, I have been looking at it and I think I could modify it to have some space under the boiler, I think that alone will make the model much better!

Gary

• Like 3

With the R1 I plan on using the original chassis, I have been looking at it and I think I could modify it to have some space under the boiler, I think that alone will make the model much better!

Good if you can.

I wouldn't necessarily adopt my approach,however; going at the engine block of the Hornby 14XX with a hammer drill (without first removing it from the chassis).  It will be a minor miracle if it runs after what I've done to it.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Good if you can.

I wouldn't necessarily adopt my approach,however; going at the engine block of the Hornby 14XX with a hammer drill (without first removing it from the chassis).  It will be a minor miracle if it runs after what I've done to it.

The plan is once I dismantle the chassis I should be able to cut the front along the dotted line shown below, this will remove most of what in the space under the boiler, with just a small bit of the motor protruding in front of the tanks.

post-22762-0-60557300-1498753426_thumb.jpg

Once this is done I can cut out the under boiler space on the body and construct a false body as I have done previously with the Tri-anf 3F's. I will then fill the boiler / smokebox area with lead to replace the weight that I have removed but cutting the chassis.

Gary

• Like 5