The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

Yes having a good day today, I am making the most of that! The figure is Mike Pett. He shall get a permanent home on Oak Hill, but shall be removable so he can be put on my exhibition layout for kids to notice when it is finally done!

Gary

• Like 4

Well while you lot have been chatting about my possible Cakebox Competition entry. I have visited a model railway exhibition! It wasn't much to look at but I did bring home a rather Stout Gentleman, he seemed to know a fair bit about railways and said something about an E2, in blue of all colours!!

attachicon.gif2017-12-02 17.02.12.jpg

Then on the way out the kids asked to have ago at the raffle, for 50p each I decided to let them, not really paying attention to the prises until my son won and was handed this!!

attachicon.gif2017-12-02 16.48.24.jpg

A DJ Models J94!! Brand new in box!! For 50p!!!! The Jammy Git!! So that will take pride of place on his layout once it has been finished, I had best go buy some wood for his baseboards!!

Gary

The Stout Gentleman reminds me of the Fat Controller.

• Like 2

Well while you lot have been chatting about my possible Cakebox Competition entry. I have visited a model railway exhibition! It wasn't much to look at but I did bring home a rather Stout Gentleman, he seemed to know a fair bit about railways and said something about an E2, in blue of all colours!!

attachicon.gif2017-12-02 17.02.12.jpg

Then on the way out the kids asked to have ago at the raffle, for 50p each I decided to let them, not really paying attention to the prises until my son won and was handed this!!

attachicon.gif2017-12-02 16.48.24.jpg

A DJ Models J94!! Brand new in box!! For 50p!!!! The Jammy Git!! So that will take pride of place on his layout once it has been finished, I had best go buy some wood for his baseboards!!

Gary

Hi...

Looking at the size of him..that gentleman has indulged in too much in the way of stout in his time....!

Regards as always

Bob

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I hope you are all sitting down, I have an actual modelling update to post!!!! I went back through the thread to see how long it has been since I actually did anything, my last lot of modelling posted was On the 5th of September, and is on page 45!! How have we got to page 53 without me doing anything?

So, I have done some figure painting. I think I'm getting good at this, although they still are not brilliant, I am happy with them for now.

Firstly some station staff:

post-22762-0-16945600-1513707899_thumb.jpg

And the CME himself (,and himself, and himself):

post-22762-0-86941100-1513707905_thumb.jpg

Which lets me attempt to recreate this picture of him:

post-22762-0-12391700-1513707910.jpg

post-22762-0-98626400-1513707908_thumb.jpg

I also did some more Photoshop and edited the images I took of the enamel adverts, and LB&SCR signage at Sheffield Park, making them printable, and 4mm scale!!

This prompted me to get on with the station building, stating by adding an interior (and some signs):

post-22762-0-42068500-1513707901_thumb.jpg

and a roof:

post-22762-0-54052800-1513707903_thumb.jpg

With signs placed all the way down the platform I think I have a much better looking station now:

post-22762-0-24337100-1513707897_thumb.jpg

of course as you can tell my station still needed a lot of work to the roof!! I don't think the LB&SCR used plasticard!! So I thought I would do a little tutorial on how I make the tiles.

Starting with the inside of a cereal box, on brown card, this effects the final finish once painted! I draw a grid of tiles, 3mm x 5mm. These measurements originally came from somewhere but I cant remember where:

post-22762-0-69506700-1513707911_thumb.jpg

These are cut into strips of tiles:

post-22762-0-87915100-1513707913_thumb.jpg

Ridge tiles are made with the corners of the box:

post-22762-0-38292000-1513707916_thumb.jpg

The inside of the corner when folded creates a slight bump in the middle replicating real life ridge tiles:

post-22762-0-93078200-1513707919_thumb.jpg

The rows of tiles are then stuck onto the plasticard roof structure, slightly overlapping each other as per real life, the tiles are cut to shape once the glue is dry:

post-22762-0-79850700-1513707922_thumb.jpg

When all the sides are done, the ridge tiles are stuck on to finish off the roof:

post-22762-0-53615400-1513707925_thumb.jpg

I have not yet painted the tiles, however they will be painted with Railmatch BR Freight Bauxite, yes really!! SO in the meantime here is what they look like in place on the station building:

post-22762-0-24083300-1513707928_thumb.jpg

Well, it is good to be back modelling again! Now if you will excuse me I have another roof to finish off and some painting to do!!!

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 7

.........So I thought I would do a little tutorial on how I make the tiles.

Very similar to the method I have just used for the slates on my signal box , only in 2MM scale I used newspaper and computer printed the grid.

Figures look great BTW! :)

Jim

• Like 2

I hope you are all sitting down, I have an actual modelling update to post!!!! I went back through the thread to see how long it has been since I actually did anything, my last lot of modelling posted was On the 5th of September, and is on page 45!! How have we got to page 53 without me doing anything?

So, I have done some figure painting. I think I'm getting good at this, although they still are not brilliant, I am happy with them for now.

Firstly some station staff:

attachicon.gifStation Staff.jpg

And the CME himself (,and himself, and himself):

attachicon.gifStroudley1.jpg

Which lets me attempt to recreate this picture of him:

attachicon.gifstroudley3.jpg

attachicon.gifStroudley2.jpg

I also did some more Photoshop and edited the images I took of the enamel adverts, and LB&SCR signage at Sheffield Park, making them printable, and 4mm scale!!

This prompted me to get on with the station building, stating by adding an interior (and some signs):

attachicon.gifstationBu1ilding.jpg

and a roof:

attachicon.gifstationBuilding2.jpg

With signs placed all the way down the platform I think I have a much better looking station now:

attachicon.gifsigns.jpg

of course as you can tell my station still needed a lot of work to the roof!! I don't think the LB&SCR used plasticard!! So I thought I would do a little tutorial on how I make the tiles.

Starting with the inside of a cereal box, on brown card, this effects the final finish once painted! I draw a grid of tiles, 3mm x 5mm. These measurements originally came from somewhere but I cant remember where:

attachicon.giftiles1.jpg

These are cut into strips of tiles:

attachicon.giftiles2.jpg

Ridge tiles are made with the corners of the box:

attachicon.giftiles3.jpg

The inside of the corner when folded creates a slight bump in the middle replicating real life ridge tiles:

attachicon.giftiles4.jpg

The rows of tiles are then stuck onto the plasticard roof structure, slightly overlapping each other as per real life, the tiles are cut to shape once the glue is dry:

attachicon.giftiles5.jpg

When all the sides are done, the ridge tiles are stuck on to finish off the roof:

attachicon.giftiles6.jpg

I have not yet painted the tiles, however they will be painted with Railmatch BR Freight Bauxite, yes really!! SO in the meantime here is what they look like in place on the station building:

attachicon.giftiles7.jpg

Well, it is good to be back modelling again! Now if you will excuse me I have another roof to finish off and some painting to do!!!

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

Smashing work on the figures and the tiles (and I do like the tones on that brickwork)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Very similar to the method I have just used for the slates on my signal box , only in 2MM scale I used newspaper and computer printed the grid.

Figures look great BTW! :)

Jim

Thanks Jim, I knew I had seen someone else using this method somewhere!! I can't remember where I saw it originally but all the buildings on Oak Hill have them done with that method.

Smashing work on the figures and the tiles (and I do like the tones on that brickwork)

Thanks James, I am still surprised I can paint figures this well (especially Stroudley's beard!!) As for the brickwork, that is down to the misses who has done all the brickwork on the layout!! They are SE Finecast sheets painted all over in a mortar colour, the brick colour is then added with a variety of colouring pencils scribbled over the top of each other. The building needs some weathering still but I do like how she makes them look!!

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I hadn't been aware Andrew Stadden was doing his Loco Superintendents in 4 mm now as well as 7 mm - I can only find them on the 7 mm section of his online shop. I think Stroudley and Webb look the most generally useful - not on account of their engines (ahem) but because of their hats.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Gary,

I do like the figures.  What you need to do is to place two Stroudleys next to each other.  It will certainly make people look twice and maybe not have the next beer they were thinking of!  :jester:

The tiles do look good, and cheaper than the York Models paper ones.  I might well use paper as they are thinner and I do not eat cornflakes.

I was going to use enamel adverts but I think I read somewhere they came in quite late, (maybe 1890?) and may not have reached Wales by 1895.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Honestly I'm not sure he does!! Stroudley was produced in limited numbers for a promotion if I remember right! I sent off an email before placing my order for loco crew, and he sent me 3 of them at no cost!! 1 for Oak Hill, 1 for Brighthelmstone Works, and 1 for Hailsham. I really must get on with the other 2 layouts!!

Chris,

That sounds like a good idea with the Stroudley's maybe they can be having a conversation with The Fat Controller as well!! :jester: :jester:

The tiles are nice and easy to make with this method, just don't plan on being able to see after you draw the grid!! One of the reasons I use card, which I meant to mention above is that the lines leave a slight indent creating the gap between the tiles, this along with the fact they stay visible after painting make them look a better in my opinion.

If anyone want copies of the enamel signs I can send full resolution images via email. There are still quite a few that never made it onto the layout as there wasn't enough room, but they may show up elsewhere at a later date.

Gary

Gary

• Like 3

The tiles are nice and easy to make with this method, just don't plan on being able to see after you draw the grid!! One of the reasons I use card, which I meant to mention above is that the lines leave a slight indent creating the gap between the tiles, this along with the fact they stay visible after painting make them look a better in my opinion.

I draw the grid the size I want visible of the slates, then cut double width strips.  I then go along and make a cut at each vertical joint half way into the strip (what will be the visible half).  It's a laborious job, but worth it IMHO.  The strips are then glued on overlapping one another by half.

Jim

• Like 3

That sounds like a sensible method. I'm not sure I would want to try it in 2mm though!! I think I would go insane!

Insanity is a pre-requisite for modelling in 2FS!   :jester:  :jester:

Jim (Happily round the bend)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Re roofs, I have for many years produced slates by a similar method. What I have never managed is the subtle variation in colour that occurs with real slates, though in fact when seen from a distance they are not that noticeably varied. The one difference is that before i stick the strips on the roof i cut just over half way between the slates to create the gaps and very occasionally chop off a corner for a damaged slate. There can be a problem with the paper (card is too thick for slates) lifting a bit. There is one photo on my Sarn/Nantcwmdu thread showing Nantcwmdu goods shed (based on Bedlinog) with such a roof (in Railways of Wales).

A little belatedly, Happy Christmas and many thanks for all your posts. 

Jonathan

• Like 3

Re roofs, I have for many years produced slates by a similar method. What I have never managed is the subtle variation in colour that occurs with real slates, though in fact when seen from a distance they are not that noticeably varied. ......

I paint roofs with acrylics, using a basic grey mix to which I add differing small amounts of blue (or green, depending on where your slates have come from) as I go along, and painting in 'patches'.  This gives a subtle variation in the shade without being too obvious or creating sharp divisions in colour. See the roof of my recently completed signal box.  If any of the paper slates are tending to lift, you can work some of the acrylic paint under them and stick them down.

Jim 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jonathan,

Good to hear how others do it so I can improve for the future. Although I'm sure it doesn't make much of a difference for thickness The roof on Oak Hill is tiles rather than slate. So far I have not had any lifting on the other buildings that have been done with this method, but it may well happen with time.

I hope you had a good Christmas,

Gary

• Like 1