"Farqhar"

"Yes, Rees-Mogg"

"Check my grammar guidelines, I think that sign over there is missing a full stop"

"Indeed it is, Rees-Mogg, here on page 116: Use of full stops, subsection 16.c"

"Marksman, shoot a full stop into that sign"

Bang!

"Not there you fool, has your education not taught you anything?"

"No Sir, I only went to a free school"

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, CKPR said:

Of course, this being Edwardian's thread, any anarchists ( 4 or 5 at most) are safely confined to the shabbier end of Whitechapel, where they are plotting an ineffectual attempt to assassinate Prime Minister Balfour. 

You underestimate their organisation:

1094170992_AnnualPicnic.jpg.92b52f3fc95fcd9ba20ddde444b3c607.jpg

[from G. Waite and L. Knighton, Rowsley: a rural railway centre (Midland Railway Society, 2003).]

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes, but how many attended? Could most of the potential attendees afford the fare? Or did they have pensioners' bus passes? Or bicycles?

And did the owner of said Hall have any say in the venue? I notice that it was the fourth time the venue had been used. Also that Chatsworth also features in the list. Another obvious Communist stronghold at that time?

But the list of venues does sound very much like the timetable of the Midland Railway Manchester line. Or cue for a certain song about railways.

Back to the first photos, the place they are all interested in is not the UBLU premises, but one beyond. Do any parishioners have any idea what those premises might be?

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Back to the first photos, the place they are all interested in is not the UBLU premises, but one beyond. Do any parishioners have any idea what those premises might be?

100 Sidney Street, E1. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

You underestimate their organisation:

1094170992_AnnualPicnic.jpg.92b52f3fc95fcd9ba20ddde444b3c607.jpg

[from G. Waite and L. Knighton, Rowsley: a rural railway centre (Midland Railway Society, 2003).]

But clearly they didn't get their act together in 1905.

In 1905 the Anarchist-Communist Conference voted to leave Rowsley for a better picnic venue next year, or for the picnic to remain at Rowsley or to have a second vote on all possible venues.    

The Comrade-Chairman declared that he would be entirely neutral on the issue, so long as everyone did exactly what he wanted. He did so via a proxy in order to remain present but not involved.  There was a vote of thanks for the jam.

NB: Votes at conference will not count should the organising committee choose not to count them. 

Edited by Edwardian
spelling!
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

A proletarian Midland third was quite as good as many other companies' firsts.

A true anarchist would have been too busy rolling in filth...

...which might have come from a ditch, I suppose.

• Funny 7

Please forgive me intruding in this way but rumour has it that one or two of you may have a passing interest in pre-grouping railways.  I've just received the GWSoc's new 2020 calendar - reproductions of 12 paintings by Sean Bolan. I've long been a fan of his so just had to get it. Of the 12 there are 8 pre-grouping scenes (inc. 2 BG), & the other 4 aren't bad! £13 (inc.P&P) from Didcot (tel: 01235 817200).

Martin

gws-cal2020.jpg.392f4519adf312983d089dc844dde73b.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

And did the owner of said Hall have any say in the venue? I notice that it was the fourth time the venue had been used. Also that Chatsworth also features in the list. Another obvious Communist stronghold at that time?

History seems to have overlooked those two anarchist-communist fifth-columnists, Comrade Spencer Cavendish and Comrade John Manners (masquerading under the pseudonyms of Duke of Devonshire and Duke of Rutland).

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

42 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Is August a Saint? - albeit depicted post-grouping (yellow distant). It has that alert sit-up-and-beg look that the big Collett engines lack - they always seem to me to be lumbering along.

It's a Star - 4015 Knight of St John - on a down milk train passing Westbury West in the 1930s (but pre-1937 - red headlamp bodies).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, martinT said:

Please forgive me intruding in this way but rumour has it that one or two of you may have a passing interest in pre-grouping railways.  I've just received the GWSoc's new 2020 calendar - reproductions of 12 paintings by Sean Bolan. I've long been a fan of his so just had to get it. Of the 12 there are 8 pre-grouping scenes (inc. 2 BG), & the other 4 aren't bad! £13 (inc.P&P) from Didcot (tel: 01235 817200).

Martin

I thought the council had agreed no smutty pictures :D

Nick

• Funny 4

1 hour ago, nick_bastable said:

I thought the council had agreed no smutty pictures :D

Nick

Smut is inseparable from steam traction! 

Anyhow, there's nothing there that a broad-minded maiden aunt would find objectionable.

Well, not much, anyway....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, martinT said:

Martin

Oooooooo very nice.  I do like Miss April.

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, nick_bastable said:

no silly thats soot 

Nick

Oxford Dictionaries Online:

Smut n. a small flake of soot or other dirt or a mark left by one. ‘all those black smuts from the engine’.

For 1905, not to be confused with Jan Smuts, much in the news.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Anyhow, there's nothing there that a broad-minded maiden aunt would find objectionable.

Well, not much, anyway....

Well I'm not a maiden aunt because I've got two children; - and I can't be an aunt of the regular kind since my siblings have proved to be either infertile or incapable so they don't have any children for me to 'Aunt'.

BUT despite that I have to say there's nothing that gets posted here that would raise a blush as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, martinT said:

I've just received the GWSoc's new 2020 calendar - reproductions of 12 paintings by Sean Bolan. I've long been a fan of his so just had to get it. Of the 12 there are 8 pre-grouping scenes (inc. 2 BG), & the other 4 aren't bad!

Since GWR loco development became refinement/evolution rather than the massive strides taken by GJC in the Edwardian era, I suppose that even those other 4 might be considered as pre-grouping in origin...

:mocking_mini:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1