New Ulm, MN on the C&NW in H0

Nice to see this layout again, I always liked the spacious look that Dan created. 

Looks like you're going to put your own 'stamp' on the layout. It would be nice to see and hear a few Alcos, bearing in mind that ESU are based in Ulm!

Mal

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.

Well, that was a nice surprise to find so many comments and 'likes'.

Thanks Ray,

That's a co-incidence! A sound fitted RS-27 is one of the few Alcos I do have! Like the rest of my Alco fleet, it's only really suitable for the iron ore lines in Michegan, D'oh!

Thanks Jordan and Ian!

Thanks Richard,

I look forward to seeing that, we should compare notes? Are you collecting RSD4/5's and C425's too? We'll clean up the marketplace! I really wish Atlas would make more runs of these.

Thanks Mal,

Yes! It was the spacious look of Galatia that shouted "Alco Line" to me straight away! I doubt I could have commisioned Dan to build me a better layout (thanks again, buddy!). Funnily enough, I do have one Alco fitted with an ESU sound chip, an Atlas S2 but in the wrong livery. I'm not sure whether they even used these locos on the Alco line, must do some checking.

That's the problem with a disjointed approach to 'collecting' models for a future layout, when I did concentrate on the C&NW, I still never concentrated on any particular location so I have a fair representation of an iron ore train, a double deck 'commute', a grain train and the start of a Powder river coal train, all from different parts of the diverse C&NW system!

No doubt past teachers of mine would have said "must concentrate harder" only I don't know, I wasn't paying attention!   (joke!).

Cheers,

John.

• Like 2

Hi John, 

Great start! Using an already excellent layout to provide a basis and you are already halfway there! I run some CNW boxcars on mine, perhaps I should get some CNW alco's so I can be a bit different from time to time.

• RMweb Premium

Hi John,

I mainly model C&NW, D,M&E & UP around the 1997 - 1999 period but I have weakened and bought some RSD4s', RS32's, RS36, RS2, RS11, RS3 with the RS11 long hoods.

A lot of them need painting etc.

I have also bought some 40' boxcars for grain use.

I am hoping to start track laying in the next few weeks and will also be watching your progress with interest.

• Like 1

When in C&NW ownership the line to Rapid City was also known as the Cowboy Line and just prior to takeover by the UP was a C&NW hotspot for EMD power in particular SD40-2s and GP40s. If you want to learn more C - Vision does several DVDs featuring the Cowboy Lines in and out of Rapid City just prior and post the UP Takeover. There is also some material from the DME era.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Parthia27

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see a new (to me, anyway) American line getting launched. The grain elevator groupings look particularly attractive. Best wishes with progressing with the modelling, until the dark side claims you and swallows you up to 1:48 scale.

• RMweb Gold

I just remembered. There is even a little bit of Fort Myers on there. The grain silos used to be the cement silos on Fort Myers till I replaced them with another imdustry.

Dan then had the silos and did a very good job rebuilding them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

theres also a short video in C&NW Alco days, unfortunately its silent film but it is in colour.

I'm not sure if its available now, I shall try and find it.

A lot of my dvds and videos are elsewhere due to a house problem last year!

• Like 1

New Ulm is noted for flour and cheese and it looks like they still get jumbo reefers, grain hoppers and tanks for fertz./gas. CP also serves a scrap yard and aggregate pit...not much if any boxcar traffic. At one time this was the CNW main line west to Rapid City hosting the Dakot 400 streamliner in the 50s. I know there was roadswitcher based there but not much of a yard or any engine facilities. I believe the M&STL also had a branch through there but it's been gone for years.

Barry, in Minnesota and also at one time a CNW man.

You could add the Tapioca factory and models of Harry Connick jnr and Rene Zellweiger from the movie 'New in Town' - set in New Ulm but actually shot in Manitoba. There's an interesting but brief train scene. Might be stock footage but a paint scheme I don't recognise. (CJL)

Hi Rob and Richard,

Great stuff, you can't have too many Alco's!

Hi Chris,

When in C&NW ownership the line to Rapid City was also known as the Cowboy Line and just prior to takeover by the UP was a C&NW hotspot for EMD power in particular SD40-2s and GP40s. If you want to learn more C - Vision does several DVDs featuring the Cowboy Lines in and out of Rapid City just prior and post the UP Takeover. There is also some material from the DME era.

Cheers

Chris

I'm really sorry to disagree on a small point but I thought the Cowboy line was the roughly parallel line that runs from Omaha NB out to Casper, WY and the Powder River area (the reason why the C&NW was taken over?) http://www.infomercantile.com/images/b/b7/Chicago_And_North_Western_Railroad_Map%2C_1977.jpg

I DO fully agree that C-Vision does some wonderful DVD's on a lot of C&NW subjects, I have most of them!

New Ulm is noted for flour and cheese and it looks like they still get jumbo reefers, grain hoppers and tanks for fertz./gas. CP also serves a scrap yard and aggregate pit...not much if any boxcar traffic. At one time this was the CNW main line west to Rapid City hosting the Dakot 400 streamliner in the 50s. I know there was roadswitcher based there but not much of a yard or any engine facilities. I believe the M&STL also had a branch through there but it's been gone for years.

Barry, in Minnesota and also at one time a CNW man.

Hi Barry,

Many thanks for joining in, I really appreciate any input from one such as yourself! Wow! You worked for the Northwestern?

Please tell me if this railway looks even remotely reminiscent of the area, I won't be offended if it does not.

Many thanks,

John.

John, yes your railroad looks a little like New Ulm but needs lots of trees and a creek since this isn't Kansas anymore. There were/are four yard tracks there and a few spurs so if you added another double ended yard track it would be closer, maybe another spur for a liquid/granular fertilizer dealer like the Blair Line one with a tank or two, add a couple of large bins to the grain elevator and a large Pike Stuff warehouse with mechanical, coolers for a cheese manufacturer/warehouse.

Yes I did work for the: Illinois Central, Peoria&Eastern(NYC), ChicagoNorthwestern, Soo Line, Columbus&Greenville (Mississippi), Milwaukee Road, Illinois Terminal, Illinois Central Gulf, Soo again,  Wisconsin Central, Minnesota Commercial, Progressive Rail, Wisconsin Northern, Kansas & Oklahoma and retired from Watco after fifty years as a railroader.

Looking forward to seeing your progress on New Ulm. Since retirement I have been working on a small, simple short line freight/steam, passenger, excursion HO railroad based on the Monticello, Il. Railrod Museum. It's mostly an around the walls 20'X20' layout with extentions through walls to two other rooms in our finished condo/basement.

Barry

• Like 3

Hi John, certainly another one for me to follow and I need to learn about American / Canadian Locos now.

All the best mate, and the Layout looks superb.

Andy -  Looking at your impressive list of layouts, I think a US/Can layout is long overdue. Come over to the 'Dark Side', you won't regret it.

Mal

• Like 2

Andy -  Looking at your impressive list of layouts, I think a US/Can layout is long overdue. Come over to the 'Dark Side', you won't regret it.

Mal

Cheers Mal and Zomboid, I tried it once before and Failed, I had a British OO Layout about 10ft Scenic BLT with a Bridge to the F/Y, at a show I bought a Big Boy and a Cab Forward, got home put it on the Layout and it wouldn't go under the Bridge, so would only move about 18 inches each way. hahah.

I have had a couple of American Bachmann Diesels in the past, a Santa Fa and a Blue one? ConRail? or something like that.

I will be picking up a couple of Locos next week (Santa Fe and a CP Railroad) and a few Vans, I have the Track and Points and some timber.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1