The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Microsoft Windows 10 Upgrade 'Trick'

Ian J.

• RMweb Premium

For those wishing to avoid being forced to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 / 8.1:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36367221

If you see the Upgrade box, DON'T click the top right white cross / red box 'Close Window' button! You apparently have to click the click 'here' link to get to the cancellation.

Edit: many thanks to Reorte for the update that he posted that shows Microsoft have apparently already backed down on this matter - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36376962 - although it remains to be said it doesn't seem to be much of a climbdown, more a 'we did something in response, but what we did didn't really change anything'...

Thoroughly nasty...... The sort of trick one associates with scams.

'upgrading' to Windows 10 would render me incapable of earning a living for several months. I deeply hate the fact that Microsoft assume all PCs users fall neatly within their predicted parameters (and screwed everyone else....)

Typical of Microsoft's underhand policies of forced adoption of "what we deem good for you"

SWMBO fell for this yesterday and is livid. There is an option following the tricked "install" to revert but this doesn't actually work - "it states it may take time" well it has been running for 24hrs with the message do not turn off and her laptop is well and truely f'd.

All I can say is I warned you all - I posted a registry get out of Windows 10 on the other topic. I did it and am still without the ore-install of Windows. Unless we can find a good way of getting back to Windows 8 that is another machine going over to Linux. I believe that Microsoft should be forced to provide a secure and working downgrade route ... but that is not going to happen they run the world along with Google Corp.

I got suckered by this yesterday. Luckily it seems to work ok afaik. My laptop is on long term loan from a client. I hope he's ok with it.

This whole issue brings into question what is "mine" and what belongs to MS.

Where is the original of anything? On a camera? On a PC hard drive? On a memory stick? On the cloud?

The whole concept of the internet, its use, the control of it, those in control etc is getting very Big Brother, American style.

You will be paying for everything soon, renting your operating system, cloud based programes, / storage etc on a pay per use basis . It's all about three things, control, surveillance and money. Face Book and Twitter are the perfect "self spy" system - I have no use for either of them.

I bought a new cheapie computer with Win10 pre-installed in January, no hassle so far. I have disabled / removed as much commercial pre installed Windows crap as I can / dare to do - but sometimes it still bugs me, do this, do that. I'm not overly tech savvy, but it'll do for now.

I find the trouble is EVERYTHING is getting net based these days, even my repeat NHS prescriptions. A bit frightening the future is - especially if the USA "pulls the plug". I now understand why China is building it's own net.

If it all gets to big brother in the future my computer will get it's last boot up - a size 10 steel toe cap job !!!!

Brit15

• RMweb Premium

I don't have a problem with Windows 10 and will be upgrading when I next re-new my drives.

But for those of you who don't want it there is always this tiny utility (83k) - no bloat or advertising just an easy way to stop being nagged.

(and yes, I have used it myself).

Never 10!

Just run This Bad Boy and relax!

"The name “Never 10” is a bit of an overstatement, since this utility may also be used to easily re-enable Windows operating system automatic upgrading. But the primary reason for using this is to disable Windows' pestering insistence upon upgrading Windows 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10".

You should never completely turn off updates!

Select the following update option: 

"Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"

You can then decide which updates to download and install - if you don't know what they are then ask Google or MS by searching for the KB####### number.

Simples.

Just turn off updates. Yes, I know you won't get any security updates, but who says the security updates are any longer secure? Microsoft are no longer trustworthy. If they have to force and trick people into installing Windows 10, you have to ask why?

Microsoft are the collective. You will be assimilated, resistance is futile. We are Borg.

• RMweb Gold

Just turn off updates. Yes, I know you won't get any security updates, but who says the security updates are any longer secure? Microsoft are no longer trustworthy. If they have to force and trick people into installing Windows 10, you have to ask why?

Microsoft are the collective. You will be assimilated, resistance is futile. We are Borg.

Google JFK assassination if you want conspiracy.

Let's get real, MS are not going to be releasing security updates which are deliberately insecure, there are lots of eyes watching everything they do, they would immediately be pilloried in every corner of the known universe if that were to happen.

You can easily choose Linux or Apple or one of the other OSes which are available if you don't like Windows or the Microsoft marketing model.

• RMweb Gold

I amactually quite happy with Win 10 but have two PC's that just wont let me complete the upgrade despite saying Win 10 is compatible.

I switch off Cortana etc. and dont use those PC's to buy on line. My main PC is still WIn 7 and probably will stay that way till its replaced.

Google JFK assassination if you want conspiracy.

Let's get real, MS are not going to be releasing security updates which are deliberately insecure, there are lots of eyes watching everything they do, they would immediately be pilloried in every corner of the known universe if that were to happen.

You can easily choose Linux or Apple or one of the other OSes which are available if you don't like Windows or the Microsoft marketing model.

I don't think there's any conspiracy. Get real? Updates have gone from optional to recommended, who's to say that security updates aren't next? They're selling Windows 10 on it's security being better than previous versions. Microsoft don't care if they get pilloried night and day, because they know that they can get a lot of people to 'upgrade' by saying "upgrade". Those that know better have to be coerced or tricked into Windows 10 as is now being shown.

Having  pounded keyboards as a 'computer progammer' since the early 80s, I've been using *nix in various incarnations for many years. I use Microsoft for some things because I have no choice, not because I'm a Microsoft Fanboy.

• RMweb Gold

I don't think there's any conspiracy. Get real? Updates have gone from optional to recommended, who's to say that security updates aren't next? They're selling Windows 10 on it's security being better than previous versions. Microsoft don't care if they get pilloried night and day, because they know that they can get a lot of people to 'upgrade' by saying "upgrade". Those that know better have to be coerced or tricked into Windows 10 as is now being shown.

Having  pounded keyboards as a 'computer progammer' since the early 80s, I've been using *nix in various incarnations for many years. I use Microsoft for some things because I have no choice, not because I'm a Microsoft Fanboy.

Updates have had a "recommended" option for YEARS.

Windows 10 is not currently for sale.

Evidence to suggest that Microsoft don't care if they get pilloried ?

I've worked in IT for 30+ years too - I wasn't tricked or coerced into upgrading.

Now that I have retired, I use a Win 7 laptop for my day to day computing. I'm very happy with it, and will not upgrade it to Win 10 - Dell do not "approve" it for upgrade anyway. I recently upgraded another machine to Win 10 as I expect it to work well beyond the end of support date for Win 7. It seems ok, but no great advance on Win 7. For legacy business software I need to keep access to "just in case", I have an XP machine although the software can be made to run on a VM in the later operating systems. The backwards compatibility is one reason for reluctance to move completely to Win 10, as it will be for many businesses.

Whilst it may not fit with how Microsoft wishes to run its business, many people will have valid reasons for not wishing to upgrade, to fall in with the new update policy, or they may not like  the potentially intrusive collection of data from machines. All are valid concerns. It therefore does not sit comfortably with those people or with others who simply do not like Microsoft's stance, to have to constantly take steps to protect themselves from what is at the very least "undue pressure" to upgrade. 

I will see how matters play out over the next 2/3 years and if I do not like what I see, I may well look at Linux as an alternative despite the learning curve for me.

Colin

• RMweb Gold

Updates have had a "recommended" option for YEARS.

Windows 10 is not currently for sale.

Evidence to suggest that Microsoft don't care if they get pilloried ?

I've worked in IT for 30+ years too - I wasn't tricked or coerced into upgrading.

I was quite happy to let the auto install for win 10 to occur. Except it didn't. I asked my wife what had she done to her computer to prevent it occurring but she said she hadn't done anything. The only way to install was by using the Win 10 Media Creation Tool and selecting "upgrade this computer now " option. That worked perfectly and everything is fine.

Thank you for the Never 10 - I've just installed it on my wife's laptop, which also runs 'legacy' software - and vulnerable, as my wife is perhaps a little more prone to taking MS officialdom at face value than I am!

Maybe there will be a burgeoning market in computers with pre installed Linux or similar - or some competitor arising to offer an alternative to MS Big Brother, or Apple Cloud based/redundant/updated apps mentality.

Personally, I want to buy something, and just want them to leave it well alone (apart from genuine security updates...).

• RMweb Premium

Win 10 is available to Windows Pro users as well, and other versions of Win 7 / 8.1. It's not a Home version only.

The free upgrade period ends in July, and Microsoft has 'promised' to stop nagging for upgrades after then. What will actually happen is anyone's guess.

I thought I'd been successfully preventing Windows 10 trashing my computer at some stage, but according to Never 10, upgrading was enabled and I had 168mb of files infesting my hard disk. Not any more!!!

• RMweb Premium

The whole concept of the internet, its use, the control of it, those in control etc is getting very Big Brother, American style.

You will be paying for everything soon, renting your operating system, cloud based programes, / storage etc on a pay per use basis . It's all about three things, control, surveillance and money. Face Book and Twitter are the perfect "self spy" system - I have no use for either of them.

And if you don't like it you'll start getting told to stop being such a luddite / you just don't like change / why are you so bothered about it (need to justify wanting privacy these days) / get with the 21st century etc.

• RMweb Premium

I wish. Not really a practical option for games, and I like to use my computer for games. If they all worked on Linux (including my back catalogue) Windows would be going straight in the bin.

• RMweb Gold

I wish. Not really a practical option for games, and I like to use my computer for games. If they all worked on Linux (including my back catalogue) Windows would be going straight in the bin.

Virtualisation.

Although, of course it's fair to say that Virtualisation doesn't get around the need for a Windows license.

The Windows re-implementation ReactOS may come to something one day - but the last time I used it (which was admittedly a few years ago) it wasn't really that reliable.

I'm afraid one of our cats installed 'Windows 10' for us. The pop-up asking whether we wanted to install it must have appeared whilst I was elsewhere, and Dino must have walked across the 'Install Now' button on his way to his favourite day-bed. By the time I came back upstairs, installation had started.

It doesn't seem to have had that much impact, though web-access seems to be quicker. I only tend to use Internet/E-mail, and very occasional Word documents, but Lynne was using it yesterday for various Excel and Power-Point documents without any apparent problems.

Archived