Grindleford Station Hope Valley Line 1960s BR - Station Café build

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold

There are a number of layouts on here based around the Peak District line, which ran from Ambergate through to Manchester and Buxton.

However, the Peak District also has another line - one that is still open, and is now used to go from Manchester to Derby, Nottingham, and Sheffield.

This is the Hope Valley line, which coming from Sheffield, emerges blinking in the sunlight from Totley Tunnel into the Hope Valley, and passes through the stations of Grindleford, Hathersage, Bamford, Hope, and Edale, before diving back underground at Cowburn Tunnel, finally emerging again at Chinley, where you turn right for Manchester, or left for Buxton.

I've been looking for a new project to re-invigorate my modelling, as my permanent layout based on Bakewell has ground to a halt at the fiddly details stage.

I wanted something which would have some countryside, and some nice structures to model, and eventually decided on Grindleford station.

It's only ten minutes up the road, so I can go and get lots of photos, and it has a nice mix of buildings, bridges and landscape to make an interesting project.

It also is nicely framed with a bridge at one end, and a bridge and tunnel at the other end, making it a good fit for an end-to-end layout.

The Location:

So here's Grindleford, as it is now, from Google Earth:

post-17302-0-64462000-1465844905_thumb.jpg

And here it is on an old OS map from 1922:

post-17302-0-84051900-1465844900_thumb.jpg

This is what it looked like in the 1960s, the period I will be modelling:

post-17302-0-73002000-1465844888_thumb.jpg

and roughly the same view now:

post-17302-0-18906900-1465844891_thumb.jpg

Immediately adjacent to the station is the West portal of Totley Tunnel:

post-17302-0-06332700-1465844894_thumb.jpg

and between that and the station is a three-arch road bridge:

post-17302-0-52791700-1465844896_thumb.jpg

There is another road bridge at the other end of the goods yard, which I don't yet have a photo of. but can be seen on the Google image and map.

The Layout:

So I was thinking in terms of an end-to-end layout, made up of three 4 foot by 2 foot boards, to give a total scenic length of 12 feet. At each end I was thinking of having a 4 foot sector plate.

Using AnyRail, I laid out a rough trackplan based on those measurements:

post-17302-0-28559200-1465845293_thumb.jpg

However, if you start to add in the scenic bits, it begins to look a little foreshortened:

post-17302-0-79997000-1465845295_thumb.jpg

So I'm now in a bit of a quandary...

Do I go for four 4 foot modules, meaning a scenic length of 16 feet, and a total length of 24 feet? Is this a sensible size for an exhibition layout?

I certainly don't have anywhere I can erect the total length of it all at home.

I'd welcome any thoughts.

Thanks for looking

Al.

Edited by acg_mr
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Al,

Although I am not an exhibition manager I think 24ft is not too long.  Even though I always have a tape measure in my pocket I have never measured the length of layouts when I go to exhibitions but from what I have seen I am sure a few are of that length.  However, I understand that exhibiting can be quite stressful and if you cannot put it all together and test it beforehand then I am sure that would make things worse. 

Sorry I have got no answers for you, as the child in the comedy program used to say, "I am not being very helpful am I?"  (Don't  ask me which one.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Chris,

On the contrary, you are being most helpful, giving me a sanity check if nothing else :)

Here's a version of AnyRail based on 16 foot scenic (that's four 4 foot modules).

post-17302-0-39114500-1465849455_thumb.jpg

Now to my mind, that's looking better - as in nearer to the prototype, and it might be possible to put the sector plate at the goods yard end (left) at 90 degrees, so a 22 foot length with an L shape footprint.

Cheers,

Al.

• Like 4

Hi Al, A few pointers worth mentioning.

Firstly as Chris says, it WILL need setting up a couple of days before each Show and FULLY testing, this sorts out all sorts of problems from everything from a bit of dirty Track, a dry Solder joint, a broken wire etc.
What you have to remember the main difference between a Home Layout and an Exhibition Layout is that the Exhibition one will take quite a few knocks whilst traveling to and from shows, things like Speed Humps, pot holes, hard braking etc. Also loading and unloading takes its toll on Point Motors and wiring etc.

The next question is will it fit into the Landie, how will it fit into the Landie, can you load at home on your own for a Friday afternoon set up etc. etc.

I don't want to discourage you Al, but I've been there, done that and got the T Shirt, as you know.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy, you raise some very valid points.

Obviously I will need to consider just where I can set it all up for testing and so on. Whilst constructing, I can get three modules in a row together in my front room, and possible four if I remove some furniture :)

There's a long corridor at my parent's house which I might co-opt for when I need to do a complete set up.

Here's what I've planned so far:

It will be built with exhibiting in mind, so I'll make sure that wiring and so on is robust and well secured and protected. Each structure will be designed to be removable - probably making a socket into the baseboard for each building to sit in, and the base scenery and trackbed will be built of ply for rigidity.

The modules are going to be a flat base of 18mm ply, on a timber frame. On top of this, there will be a raised trackbed also on ply, and the platforms will be 19mm ply with plasticard facing. Where the ground level raises at the tunnel and bridge ends, there will be a solid ply end frame to the full height of the scenery.

As regards transport, the dimensions of the modules - 4' x 2' will fit sideways between the wheelarches of the Landy, so I should have plenty of room to do a double stack of three each. I will probably build a transport frame when I get to that stage, to enable me to slot the modules in and hold them securely.

I'm sure these plans will evolve as I start to build it, and I'm sure there'll be things I get wrong, or forget, but that's part of the fun, isn't it? :D

Al.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

If your exhibiting also draw up a check list for loading the Landie, its things like Circuit tester, glue, soldering iron and solder, etc, also if the buildings are removable DONT FORGET THEM. 

Lol!

Wasn't Damian (Indomitable026) who did that with BCB? I remember something similar.

I don't think you need worry for a bit, Bodge, I'm not as fast as you, I'll still be building this in a year's time, I'm sure :D

Al.

• Like 3

Lol!

Wasn't Damian (Indomitable026) who did that with BCB? I remember something similar.

I don't think you need worry for a bit, Bodge, I'm not as fast as you, I'll still be building this in a year's time, I'm sure :D

Al.

WOT ? THAT LONG :no:  :sungum:  :onthequiet:  :boast:  :O  :paint:  :scared: 

• RMweb Gold

24' is definitely not too long for an exhibition layout. And consider the ratio of hidden parts to visible parts 33% for the 24', 40% for the 20' version.

That said, if going for the 24', I would want to have less track at the tunnel end and make more of the Up sidings (i.e. keep to your original 12' design and add 4' to the left-hand end).

Those 4' fiddleyards are going to be a bit limiting and fy to fy can be quite tiresome to operate. The whole thing would be much better as a "roundy-roundy". Any chance that it could share parts with your Bakewell layout?

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Those 4' fiddleyards are going to be a bit limiting and fy to fy can be quite tiresome to operate. The whole thing would be much better as a "roundy-roundy". Any chance that it could share parts with your Bakewell layout?

Agree with Joseph on this - operating a busy main line end to end with small fiddle yards will, I think, become a major frustration to you. (when out of the road) - they will be ok for your own running sessions where speed of "next train" is not so important.

You might want to consider planning some curves and a fiddle yard around the back and see how it all goes together, planning the boards so they stack together means you may get more in than you expect.

Testing can be done by setting up in a garden or  perhaps hiring a scout / church / etc hall for an afternoon.

• Like 2

24' is definitely not too long for an exhibition layout. And consider the ratio of hidden parts to visible parts 33% for the 24', 40% for the 20' version.

That said, if going for the 24', I would want to have less track at the tunnel end and make more of the Up sidings (i.e. keep to your original 12' design and add 4' to the left-hand end).

Agree with Joseph on this - operating a busy main line end to end with small fiddle yards will, I think, become a major frustration to you. (when out of the road) - they will be ok for your own running sessions where speed of "next train" is not so important.

You might want to consider planning some curves and a fiddle yard around the back and see how it all goes together, planning the boards so they stack together means you may get more in than you expect.

Testing can be done by setting up in a garden or  perhaps hiring a scout / church / etc hall for an afternoon.

Deesdale Road is and to end and we need at least 4 operators for that, one each end, one in the middle working the Goods Yard and re setting the Points, plus one on a break, AND yes it is a very tiring layout to operate at shows.

• RMweb Gold

My experience of fy - fy, a club layout, mirrors Andy's.

As the station is on a curve and presumably on a rising grade, it ought to be possible to make it into a circular layout (folded 8) like Star Lane, Hooley, a very useful format for exhibitions.

Further interest could be generated by applying Rule 1 and leaving in the connection (via incline) to the quarry.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
  • Like 2

Hi Al I built bucks lane as fy to fy with cassettes on both and when using the layout it was ok but its when you have long trains, try to turn the cassette round. It's very scary lol. I made mine roundy now and I am enjoying it more now then I did as fy to fy. But the downside is it is now at the club because I have not built a shed big enough now.  

When transporting it (as Andy said ) make it easy to move. I am lucky because I have a box trailer , with moveable racks in so the layout sits on the racks and fits in happily. I can have the operators in one car and lowering costs.

Hope this helps

Mark

• Like 5

Good Point Mark, COST's, extra car for the operators, extra fuel, extra organisation, If your down this way with it I will always try to help.

EDIT = For the price of a Bacon Cob that is.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

I used to live in Totley, I'd often get the train from Dore to Grindleford or Hathersage for a day of walking; I'll be watching this with great interest. Unfortunately I don't have any photographs that may be of any use though...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I wonder about the accuracy of that OS map.

I have not been able to find a signalling diagram for Grindleford but it seems very unlikely that there would not have been at least one crossover.

OS maps are *generally* accurate for what they include - but they often omit things, like bits of trackwork.

The signal box is in the wrong place for Andys model, it's the Midland box which was replaced by the LMS

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Could you find a church hall (inexpensive one) for a Saturday or something to set it up and test it? It should be possible to make each unit work independently and then, as long as the trickery joiner things are 'sound', they should all work when joined together? 

Alternatively you may have mates with a workplace that you could use (with permission of course). Is there a school? If so you could offer them a layout display for (say) a Fair or similar for free if they would let you use the school hall on a Saturday for free?

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

PS - the crossover is between the main lines roughly under the "Dore and Chinley" wording.

I can't see one there on the map (although that is the most likely location). All I can see is the trailing lead into the Up (Quarry) sidings.