Abbotswood junction - Original layout - thread now closed please see Abbotswood and Norton Junctions

Phil Bullock

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Paul sorry haven't had chance to re-do the drawings

Getting ready for this weekend's outing to Glos Warwickshire diesel gala - there Friday to Sunday 29th to 31st

So the usual sorting....leads tested, ECoS backed up, firmware updated etc...

Layout has behaved really well on last few outings so no serious fettling required - all signals functioned on the Sunday at DEMU so apart from changing two motor mounts to centre spring ones to avoid the down advanced starter drooping when the distant clears nowt else to do

Rmwebbers please come and say hello - we will be by the shutter doors at the end of the diesel shed, this is usually a pretty relaxed event for us operators

Phil

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Took the layout to Toddington tonight - this was the scene outside the shed

post-7138-0-79067400-1469736760_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-70859100-1469736778_thumb.jpg

Wonderful! Just the right era too....

Jim is still not good though....couldn't help tonight - so thanks for helping unload Simon. And unsure about the morning too so Taigatrommel has stepped in to the breach to help set up .... what a star many thanks, don't forget the 4Rep for Saturday test running

SWMBO just helped load all the locos and stock boxes in to the car.... OOOH DANGEROUS....how many have you got? Hee hee

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Took the layout to Toddington tonight - this was the scene outside the shedattachicon.gifToddington Jul 2016 1.jpgattachicon.gifToddington Jul 2016 2.jpgWonderful! Just the right era too....Jim is still not good though....couldn't help tonight - so thanks for helping unload Simon. And unsure about the morning too so Taigatrommel has stepped in to the breach to help set up .... what a star many thanks, don't forget the 4Rep for Saturday test runningSWMBO just helped load all the locos and stock boxes in to the car.... OOOH DANGEROUS....how many have you got? Hee heePhil

Very realistic modelling there Phil!

Hope all goes well for the weekend.

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Had a good day today

Only problem was that the railway next door kept firing up d*mn noisy locos that drowned out our DCC sound....

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Premium

Took the layout to Toddington tonight - this was the scene outside the shed

attachicon.gifToddington Jul 2016 1.jpg

attachicon.gifToddington Jul 2016 2.jpg

Wonderful! Just the right era too....

Jim is still not good though....couldn't help tonight - so thanks for helping unload Simon. And unsure about the morning too so Taigatrommel has stepped in to the breach to help set up .... what a star many thanks, don't forget the 4Rep for Saturday test running

SWMBO just helped load all the locos and stock boxes in to the car.... OOOH DANGEROUS....how many have you got? Hee hee

Phil

Someone has renumbered 24081

• RMweb Premium

Had a good day today

Only problem was that the railway next door kept firing up d*mn noisy locos that drowned out our DCC sound....

Phil

If I had still been a member I would have popped along, had to let membership go when I went part time a few years ago last recession and never got round to restarting.

• RMweb Gold

All done!

We were watching shunt moves last thing yesterday - both 37s sound great.

All the stock boxes now carry a genuine odour of diesel.

Thanks to to GWR for the invite, to everyone who called by for a chat - we had excellent neighbours, the lads with the Alderton layout and the Worcester loco guys too - and thanks again to every one who helped over the weekend, certainly made it a most enjoyable session

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 2

All done!

We were watching shunt moves last thing yesterday - both 37s sound great.

All the stock boxes now carry a genuine odour of diesel.

Thanks to to GWR for the invite, to everyone who called by for a chat - we had excellent neighbours, the lads with the Alderton layout and the Worcester loco guys too - and thanks again to every one who helped over the weekend, certainly made it a most enjoyable session

Phil

I echo your comments and thanks for letting me run my Hall and Pannier on your layout.

post-19880-0-73203800-1470059324_thumb.jpg

post-19880-0-78079300-1470059337_thumb.jpg

post-19880-0-01593500-1470059350_thumb.jpg

post-19880-0-71137600-1470059361_thumb.jpg

post-19880-0-51231300-1470059370_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Peter's video - fellow rmwebber operating towards the end.

Oh shock horror - the distracted driver has let it run as a roundy roundy - noooo

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Occasionally a photo appears that inspires action

Dave F posted a super picture of D4 on his prototype photos thread - see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85326-dave-fs-photos-ongoing-more-added-10th-august/page-295 post 7359

That prompted me to tackle a job on our D4 that has sat there for a while pondering. D4 was unique in having additional footsteps under the grilles on the noses and handrails on top of the nose together with additional OHLE flashes to warn of the risks accessing these posed - can be very nicely seen in Dave's photo.

So an hours work tonight...

post-7138-0-17805900-1470865354_thumb.jpg

The OHLE flashes were already in place, handrails and footsteps added.

The loco is modelled slightly later than Dave's photo - has acquired a data panel .

Its access to superb photos of the era that provides our inspiration.... thanks again Dave

Phil

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Once again the camera is cruel in that D4 picture - if anything isn't perfectly straight - handrail, OHLE flash, data panel - it leaps out and smacks you in the eyeballs!

But lets move on. Weather forecast is excellent for this weekend - not a drop of precipitation according to the forecast

We'll be putting Abbotswood up in the garden Friday evening... visitors Saturday, filming Sunday

Sunday plan is to produce an epic to rival Ben Hur....sequential timetable featuring all available locos, get your spotting book out Mr Mortimore...

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Once again the camera is cruel in that D4 picture - if anything isn't perfect it leaps out and smacks you in the eyeballs!

But lets move on. Weather forecast is excellent for this weekend - not a drop of precipitation according to the forecast

We'll be putting Abbotswood up in the garden Friday evening... visitors Saturday, filming Sunday

Sunday plan is to produce an epic to rival Ben Hur....sequential timetable featuring all available locos, get your spotting book out Mr Mortimore...

Phil

My book is at the ready too Phil.

Good luck with the weather.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Weather looks good Phil, sorry I can't make it coinciding with the annual family retreat to South Devon. Maybe a spot of fishing in September as a conciliation. Otherwise I'd have offered a few of my recent models a test run on your fine layout.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Mike

We'll be having a play with Jimbo's Gopro camera so that may give us some new angles.

You need to be quick getting the number if you are sat on the embankment when an express hammers past at 70mph....

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Weather looks good Phil, sorry I can't make it coinciding with the annual family retreat to South Devon. Maybe a spot of fishing in September as a conciliation. Otherwise I'd have offered a few of my recent models a test run on your fine layout.

Neil

We will get it right for you one year Neil! And we be great to see your locos running too...

Fishing is last week in September - hope you can make it over for at least a day

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Occasionally a photo appears that inspires action

Dave F posted a super picture of D4 on his prototype photos thread - see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85326-dave-fs-photos-ongoing-more-added-10th-august/page-295 post 7359

That prompted me to tackle a job on our D4 that has sat there for a while pondering. D4 was unique in having additional footsteps under the grilles on the noses and handrails on top of the nose together with additional OHLE flashes to warn of the risks accessing these posed - can be very nicely seen in Dave's photo.

So an hours work tonight...

attachicon.gifDSC00847.JPG

The OHLE flashes were already in place, handrails and footsteps added.

The loco is modelled slightly later than Dave's photo - has acquired a data panel .

Its access to superb photos of the era that provides our inspiration.... thanks again Dave

Phil

Dear Mr Bullock

I like the fact you have modelled D4 with its additional bits on. Never seen anyone else do it before.

On my list of should I ever get the time (and will power) I would like to make D4 in green livery with the extra bits as you have done and the handrails on the nose sides and step in the grille.

Just noticed steps on the bogie as well.

Dear Mr Bullock

I like the fact you have modelled D4 with its additional bits on. Never seen anyone else do it before.

On my list of should I ever get the time (and will power) I would like to make D4 in green livery with the extra bits as you have done and the handrails on the nose sides and step in the grille.

Dear Mr Bullock

Greg has also done a model of  D4 in blue on Shenston Road as well. See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85490-on-shenston-road-new-electrifying-loco-spotted/?p=1591410

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Clive - the step/handrails as fitted to our and Greg's version make much more sense in the light of your picture - thank you

Paul - cracking, lifting brackets too - more work....

Phil

Clive - the step/handrails as fitted to our and Greg's version make much more sense in the light of your picture - thank you

Phil

Always inspirational seeing the things that crop up on this, Shenston Road, and other similar threads -  keep up the good work guys  :)

Also very noticeable as to what features some of you notice, and what others don't always see......  beauty (or nostalgia) is in the eyes of the beholder, and the missing middle wickets should maybe take priority depending on your viewpoint. Just an observation from this old geezer.

Still waiting to see some Deltics on this thread   :)

• RMweb Premium

Phil

Hi Phil

There is a really good photo of D4 with the hand rails on the side of the noses in D for Diesels: 5, David Dunn, Booklaw Publications, ISBN 9 781909 625020.

This series of books is a wonderful photographic collection of green diesels. The only one I have been a little disappointed with is number 6, it is a collection of Gavin Morrison's photos. All very nice but I have the feeling I have them in other publications.