Abbotswood junction - Original layout - thread now closed please see Abbotswood and Norton Junctions

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Always inspirational seeing the things that crop up on this, Shenston Road, and other similar threads -  keep up the good work guys  :)

Also very noticeable as to what features some of you notice, and what others don't always see......  beauty (or nostalgia) is in the eyes of the beholder, and the missing middle wickets should maybe take priority depending on your viewpoint. Just an observation from this old geezer.

Still waiting to see some Deltics on this thread   :)

Thanks Wibble

Glad you enjoy our efforts - but Shenston Rd knocks ours in to a cocked hat for sure...

Deltics? Ballymoss in 1978 was the first one I am aware of and that had a very funny number by that time

But of course D5901 is a different matter entirely and gets far too much exposure ....its that lovely deltic moan....

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Clive

Don't suppose you are up this way this weekend? Mr Dell visiting Satirday...

Phil

Hi Phil

Sorry mate, Mrs M has designs on me this weekend................well she has some designs of what DIY she would like me to do/start/finish/not run away from.

• RMweb Gold

Hee hee well with all those baseboards you should be good at it by now!

We'll have to drink all the cider and eat the hot dogs, pork scratchings and millionaires shortbread for you

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Dear Mr Bullock

I like the fact you have modelled D4 with its additional bits on. Never seen anyone else do it before.

On my list of should I ever get the time (and will power) I would like to make D4 in green livery with the extra bits as you have done and the handrails on the nose sides and step in the grille.

Just noticed steps on the bogie as well.

Just looking at this again

Who on earth thought that a 138 ton behemoth needed a brake tender?

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Weather is set well and truly for for tomorrow

We have arranged a steam run past .... 5043 runs Tyseley - Hereford, due Churchdown 11.19

And based on recent weekends some significant historical aircraft activity is also highly likely in the vicinity...

Phil

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Just looking at this again

Who on earth thought that a 138 ton behemoth needed a brake tender?

Phil

Hi Phil

Who ever thought with the additional stopping power it could take a heavier train.

From 1964 Midland Lines Freight Trains Loads book. An example a class 7 train from Wellingborough to Brent, BR Type 4 can convey 72 Basic Wagon Units without brake tender, or 92 Basic Wagon Units with brake tender. Class 8 train between the same places would be 106 BWU without and 125 BWU with brake tender.

A basic wagon unit is a 13 ton medfit with a light load. A fully loaded 16 ton mineral is 2 BWU.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Clive

That tells us that there were greater concerns about the ability to stop than to go!

Did that follow the accident in which D5383 was written off I wonder? ..... ah no having checked that was 1965.....

Phil

Cheers Clive

That tells us that there were greater concerns about the ability to stop than to go!

Did that follow the accident in which D5383 was written off I wonder? ..... ah no having checked that was 1965.....

Phil

The stopping was always the problem with diesels; I spent my formative years, from 1955 to  1973, at the bottom end of the L&MMR line, and, from 1965 onwards, runaway 'Six-eighters' were relatively frequent occurrences. Part of the problem was that the NCB staff who marshalled the trains at Cynheidre would not form fitted heads- even if there were several fitted wagons together, the bags wouldn't be coupled. The train would thus descend the line back to Old Castle Junction very gingerly, everyone hoping that sufficient brakes were pinned down.

When it came to main-line runs, the amount of brake-force would determine what speed the train could run at; in order to find day-time paths for mineral workings on the South Wales main line from the early 1970s, fitted heads of redundant vans (usually Banana vans, for some reason) would be attached for the trunk runs to Margam and STJ.

• RMweb Premium

Now Brian has muddied the waters with fitted 'eads I might as well go on and mention class 7* trains.

These were an LMR and ER thing  to increase braking power and speed. The train needed some vacuum braked fitted wagons piped to the locomotive brake as to stop the train when required. Depending on the number of wagons making up the fitted head the maximum load was proportional to them. Here are some examples for a Peak class locomotive on a class 7* train from the same load book and the same route as above, 0 fitted wagons the number of Basic Wagon Units was 73, for 4 fitted wagons it was 89 BWU, 8 fitted wagons it was 105 BWU, 12 fitted it went up to 121 BWU and finally 16 vacuum braked wagons 135 BWU.

To complicate things more a fitted vehicle was considered to be some thing like a Highfit or Vanfit with one vacuum cylinder, a loaded 16ton Minfit with two operative cylinders was counted as 2 fitted vehicles and a brake tender was equal to 4. An unloaded 16 ton Minfit was counted as only 1 vehicle as only one of the cylinders would be operative if empty. Unloaded Conflats and Lowfits were not permitted to be used as part of the fitted head.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold

Ah yes... the local scrappies paid a flying visit, box temporarily closed...

S&T dept will be busy this morning...

See you later Andi

Sorry Mike it had to be done...and we'll return to Class 44s and brake tenders for Clive later....

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oi Bullock !!!!!!!

Wot you doing letting HIM run trains on your railway :scratchhead: :scratchhead: .............tell HIM to set his own one up. :this:

He'll be stringing wires up next, and running trains with coat hangers on the roof! :O 

Although, watching the progress being made with the GWML "knitting", Abbotswood should be safe for many years yet...

Edited by HillsideDepot
  • Like 1