Abbotswood junction - Original layout - thread now closed please see Abbotswood and Norton Junctions

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

It's just not running right, a bit jittery and keeps stalling as well as being very noisy, so the sound chip has been swapped into D6921 which is running rather well. Think a new motor is on the cards to sort the problem out :(

Cheers, Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Heres some rolling stock progress

Spent last weekend and this with Jim weathering our bogie bolsters - all 17 of them

Wheels removed and painted

Gentle squirt of frame dirt from below

Dirty black wash from above

Squirt of matt varnish

Gives us these

post-7138-0-29079400-1402156626_thumb.jpg

Also been asked about our Peaks in early blue livery

4 15 50 78 79 185 left to right and front to back

post-7138-0-28723700-1402156925.jpg

50 and 79 are early BSYP - James cut the rail blue with a paler blue to make them that bit paler - ? accurate shade but dirt and fading would make that tricky any way I guess

post-7138-0-61277400-1402156946.jpg

15 was a rework with nose doors by Mark B - cheers mate excellent job!

Thoughts folks?

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Mike

Funnily enough not when she came through Churchdown - but that's why I headed for Norton Junction, guessed she would warble across the pointwork then open up for some decent sound effects

Shame theres no token exchange !

Phil

PS must get a monpod for better steadiness

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And theres a banger blue 40 on phase two this evening!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVf-tEmtKgk&feature=youtu.be

Phil

Cor, it really weaved through the crossover - would have been 'interesting' if you were walking through the train at that point...!

Like the rogues gallery of Peaks btw, shows how there can still be variety in a class, even within the overall blue scheme.

• RMweb Gold

Had an even better shot of 1015 there a few years ago - still only but will see if I can find it - was a spectacular eruption

But 40 is good value for money too - I don't turn out for 47s/57s!

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Have you just bought shares in Mr Isherwood's enterprise Mike?

You'll be telling me we have to do the two trains of 16 tonners next...

Hee hee

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Have you just bought shares in Mr Isherwood's enterprise Mike?

You'll be telling me we have to do the two trains of 16 tonners next...

Hee hee

Phil

Funny you should mention that, trading at £3.78 a share at the minute.

Only 2 trains of minerals, pah, I'm about a third of the way through 180 of the blessed things.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Bring on some individually numbered wagon builders plates then perhaps will go with that - Ready cut out of course!!!!

Hee hee

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Beautiful peaks Phil. What did Mark use for the central doors on D15 - plasticard I'm guessing?

It's a mark of the quality of the Bachmann model that they can look so real.

Without wanting to open a can of worms, the blue on the BSYPs looks a different shade - what blue did you use?

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neil

Yes it is a can of worms - you are right. That's rail blue rendered somewhat paler with a small amount of paler blue - well rendeded photos in economy blue not common. heres D133 https://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/6309151547/in/set-72157628044675918

As for D15 IIRC Mark used some etched brass doors we had in stock from a Craftsman class 44 detailing kit - 55A shed plate also added, prototypically overpainted yellow! She only run in this form for a couple of years, by 1969 she had acquired centre box headcodes https://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/6309142767/in/set-72157628044675918 - presumably due to accident damage. The headcode boxes are also additions on this model, IIRC it started out life as a centre box loco.

Heres a comparison shot with Bacchy's spilt box loco - D79 for us

post-7138-0-51075300-1402336819_thumb.jpg

Copped her in split box form on my first ever gricing trip to New Street in September 1967 - hence my enthusiasm for her!

Kind regards

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Bring on some individually numbered wagon builders plates then perhaps will go with that - Ready cut out of course!!!!

Hee hee

Phil

Don't go thinking we haven't been there, I decided that is what weathering is for, life's too short!

Although that's not to say builders plates won't be appearing in a generic fashion.

Also, Mr Isherwood Sir may be amenable to doing his existing sheets with different numbers, he's offered to do me more sheets of bobol E's.

Mike.

Steam chipping didnt go quite to plan....

Fiddliest? 92220 - getting the chip to sit in the smokebox.

Reminds me of the 9F I chipped - was yours the Hornby one? Whilst I used an earlier Margate body on a Hornby Railroad loco drive mechanism (wonderfully smooth runner btw) witha Hornby chip, smokebox door didn't want to stay on. It wasn't as if I made a mess of the wiring loom either.

Some excellent stuff you have done there, if mine ends up a tenth as good as that, i would be happy.

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks John

9f from Bacchy - 92220

Its a lot of work building - and maintaining - a layout! Keeps me off the streets....

Kind regards

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike

Used the sunny weather as an excuse for some trout tickling yesterday

HAve a bit of work to do but yup next decent weekend hopefully

Cheers

Phil

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

You lot are hard taskmasters hee hee - and then theres SWMBO's financial proberty scrutiny.....

I reckon our programme looks like this:

June 2014 - finish current board phase 2 enabling

Scenic tidy up

July 2014 - Photo session and Toddington diesel gala (provisional)

Ensure routes and signalling are fully operational then

Sept 2014 Redditch show

Phase 2 enabling final board (Birmingham end of fiddle yard)

Dec 2014 Bishops Cleeve show

Jan 2015 Phase 2 build begins

April 2015 Trainwest

May 2015 Stow show (provisional)

Work on phase 2 build

Sept 2015 Great Electric train show - might be nice if phase 2 came here with us - but that's another 6 boards :O  :O

And somewhere in there that nice Mr Bachmann will throw us a curved ball hopefully with his new warships....

So don't think we are slacking too much.....

And theres a whole lot of gassing to be done on here too!

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Neil

As for D15 IIRC Mark used some etched brass doors we had in stock from a Craftsman class 44 detailing kit - 55A shed plate also added, prototypically overpainted yellow! She only run in this form for a couple of years, by 1969 she had acquired centre box headcodes https://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/6309142767/in/set-72157628044675918 - presumably due to accident damage. The headcode boxes are also additions on this model, IIRC it started out life as a centre box loco.

Kind regards

Phil

Hi Phil

D15 was part of the refurbishment scheme that Brush under took in the late 1960's, all the Brush motored locos and a selection of Crompton locos. They can be identified by a central headcode box and the triangular grille under the main grille.

• RMweb Gold

Cor, it really weaved through the crossover - would have been 'interesting' if you were walking through the train at that point...!

Like the rogues gallery of Peaks btw, shows how there can still be variety in a class, even within the overall blue scheme.

Naw - them there diesels is all the same! Hee hee

Phil