Abbotswood junction - Original layout - thread now closed please see Abbotswood and Norton Junctions

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Brian Thomas was helping on the layout at Redditch over the weekend

His conversations with Paul prompted a delve back in to his photo archives where he unearthed these gems

Firstly on 21st August 1972 89 Honourable Artillery Company waits for the road to Norton Junction and Worcester as 156 comes south from the same direction

post-7138-0-23970800-1411678089_thumb.jpg

And then on 14th June 1973 1919 looks fresh off as she heads south with a train of 21 ton minerals

post-7138-0-38450900-1411678103_thumb.jpg

The sun always does shine at Abbotswood Junction!

Many thanks Brian

Phil

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

but but but where are all the trees.............................. :O

Geographical compression has led to enhanced arborial proximity on the model - after all this is a trunk route!

Phil

• RMweb Gold

A few more from Brian

A pair of 25s on a down freight

post-7138-0-37483000-1411850793_thumb.jpg

And another pair - on a banana train!

post-7138-0-48916200-1411850853_thumb.jpg

And an ex works light loco

post-7138-0-41827900-1411850929_thumb.jpg

Frothing allowed.......!!!!

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Wow love the Banana train Phil heading North(?). That can only be from the Fyffes shipments that arrived at Avonmouth around that time. Have fond memories of those trains- any idea of the reporting codes and destination?

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Wow love the Banana train Phil heading North(?). That can only be from the Fyffes shipments that arrived at Avonmouth around that time. Have fond memories of those trains- any idea of the reporting codes and destination?

Neil

In 1973 the Fyffes ships were still docking at Barry  - I used to go down there quite often in the evenings and have some pics of one coming in through the lock.

• RMweb Gold

Good point re Barry Docks Mike, but that was Geest using that port? The Fyffes ships were Avonmouth. I can't see evidence of which company this train is.

Neil

Could well be the case Neil - I'll have to try to delve out my transparencies to sort whose ships it was.  And the vans could have finished up with any of those small posters on them I think as that often seemed to be the case as we got into the '70s.

And of course the Barry trains were worked by proper diesels - seen here in 1964 -

post-6859-0-16430700-1411901947_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Could well be the case Neil - I'll have to try to delve out my transparencies to sort whose ships it was.  And the vans could have finished up with any of those small posters on them I think as that often seemed to be the case as we got into the '70s.

And of course the Barry trains were worked by proper diesels - seen here in 1964 -

attachicon.gifD6898 comes off the Barryline at Cardiff Generall with a banana spcl 210664.jpg

Hi Mike

I wonder if D6898 had square top corners to the warning panel the other end? Most Type 3 had neat curved top corners.

Pairs of 25s also worked the Avonmouth trains. Interesting reporting code on the type 3 though.

As for the headcode, 4 as it is a fully fitted freight, Z is a spiecal, bananas would be off loaded when the ships docked and would not be a regular timetabled train, and 89 would be the train/working number.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I remember the banana trains coming into Birmingham in the 1960s. At one time some went to Lawley St, but one company used the Top Yard at Curzon St across the road from the main depot, where the original L&B Goods Depot stood. As the bananas needed to be a bit green when they went to the market, those that were too ripe were dumped every few days. On a Friday lunchtime you could get a carrier bag full in exchange for a pint of Mild at the Railway pub in Curzon St.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

[/quote name="Clive Mortimore" post="1605763" timestamp="1411906379"

As for the headcode, 4 as it is a fully fitted freight, Z is a spiecal, bananas would be off loaded when the ships docked and would not be a regular timetabled train, and 89 would be the train/working number.

I'm not surprised by the Z reporting code, but I was by the 4. In the 1970s this was used largely for air braked workings, e.g. Freightliners, speed links, for example 4E70 Danygraig-Stratford.
I'm guessing the 1960s was different, and that 6ZXX or 7ZXX would have been more likely by the 70s indicating fitted by speed restricted freight.
Neil Edited by Downendian

• RMweb Gold

I'm not surprised by the Z reporting code, but I was by the 4. In the 1970s this was used largely for air braked workings, e.g. Freightliners, speed links, for example 4E70 Danygraig-Stratford.

I'm guessing the 1960s was different, and that 6ZXX or 7ZXX would have been more likely by the 70s indicating fitted by speed restricted freight.

Neil

The standardised version of Class 4 came into existence in 1960 and was basivcally a separation of fully fitted freight etc trains out of the old Class C but still carrying what had been Class C lamps (the LNER had classified trains by number instead of letter at one time I believe).

The 1960 version was slightly amended in June 1962 and completely altered in May 1969 when what had been Class 4 effectively became Class 6.  The 1960 version of Class 4 had the same headlamp code as Class 3 but the new Class 4 in 1969 had a different headlamp code from Class 3 (and from Class 6 of course).

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Time for some more of Brian Thomas's super pictures

post-7138-0-78546700-1412882912_thumb.jpg

UID Whizzo on what must be Longbridge - Swindon. No headboard clips? That must help with ID!

post-7138-0-88584600-1412882936_thumb.jpg

A lot of freights were type 4s - look at those lovely Bolster Es, if that was heading north I would have suggested that was a Llandeilo Jct - Langley Green - but its heading south!

post-7138-0-48852300-1412882960_thumb.jpg

And again a type 4 hauled freight.

Cheers Bri!

Phil

• Like 9

A lot of freights were type 4s - look at those lovely Bolster Es,

Yes - one of the most desired but consistently overlooked by the RTR Manu's wagons (IMHO)  :yes: - just the same length as a Tube open.

(The LIMA one needs work - if you can actually find them)

Edited by Southernman46

• RMweb Gold

A lot of freights were type 4s - look at those lovely Bolster Es, if that was heading north I would have suggested that was a Llandeilo Jct - Langley Green - but its heading south!

From memory, (hazy), it was seeing 8V88 at Chesterfield that got me started on the bobol E's, ISTR it was a Scunthorpe - Cardiff working, will have to find the relevant WTT.

Can't think why there's a shortage of the Lima models!

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Yup - and once again have voted for bobol Es in the poll this year!

Any ways this months edition of the Hornby mag is out - and look whats on the cover

http://www.hornbymagazine.com/central/images/covers/large/5823.jpg

Thanks to Mike Wild for giving us the coverage, Trevor Jones for the super photos and Kevin Derrick for being the first to grab a copy.

Phil

• Like 6

Yup - and once again have voted for bobol Es in the poll this year!

Any ways this months edition of the Hornby mag is out - and look whats on the cover

http://www.hornbymagazine.com/central/images/covers/large/5823.jpg

Thanks to Mike Wild for giving us the coverage, Trevor Jones for the super photos and Kevin Derrick for being the first to grab a copy.

Phil

May be you should have kept your hat on :beee: