Hornby Bulleid coaches?

paftrain

I received my copy of 'The Collector' (i.e. Hornby Club Magazine) this morning, and under their news section about their own products they mention 'new Bulleid coaches reported on separately'. Anyone know about this and where, precisely, they are reported separately? I can't find any other report in the Magazine. Great news if it is true!

Regards,

Paul.

I wouldn't be at all surprised, if the Bulleid stock make it into their 2017 range.

It would make a lot of sense for Hornby to do this and would certainly complement their forthcoming Southern locos. Pre and post nationalization variants please. Fingers crossed on this one, sure to be good seller !

I think JSpencer more likely correct. Would it really make sense to duplicate an existing Bachmann range when so much other coaching stock, even Southern, is still left to be done?

Given the pretty obvious failings of the ancient Bachmann models, I'd say these were ripe for new tooling. Bachmann have shown no interest in updating them, so given their recent coaching stock track record Hornby would get my vote (and money).

New tooled Bulleid coaches to modern standards would not in any sense "duplicate" the Bachmann offerings.

Paul

• Like 1

If this is the case, that Hornby are considering Bulleid coaches let's hope they choose the end door variety

with shallow window vents. For the following reasons..........

1) The earlier builds ( 1947 ) can carry full malachite with ' sunshine ' lettering.

2) More prototypes to model ie. BCK ( Two varieties ), Bournemouth line 6 car dining sets.

3) No one has ever produced the shallow vent Bulleids in RTR. thus missing out on SR livery.

Top quality Bulleids, to today's standards are probably the most glaring omission from any range.

Put me down for a long rake.

• RMweb Premium

The old Bachmann models are pretty much equivalent to the entry level Railroad level models used for trainsets by Hornby (they're nothing like as good as the better Railroad models) and are limited in terms of types modelled. Good Bulleid coaches to modern standards would be a wonderful surprise from Hornby if it were true and would complement their upcoming air smoothed Merchant Navy models as well as their various existing Southern locomotives. We can only hope it isn't a typo.

Whilst it would be wonderful to have new Bulleid coaches from Hornby (especially if the different type to what Bachmann already do), I rather suspect -  as others have - that it is a mistake in the publication rather than being real as such. But I would love to be proved wrong!

If they did their Bulleids' like they did the Mk1s it would be great too, with a budget friendly option that they could put into their packs along with the new MN to come. However iirc Farish haven't long introduced new/updated tooled N Bulleid coaches so Bachmann may yet do theirs again?

Edited by Kelly

Bachmann may produce them again in a more detailed format, the old model is outclassed compared to their other products. The question is however, how long would we have to wait for them to appear in the shops and at what price ? On current production delays, this could in effect be 3-4 yrs !

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann may produce them again in a more detailed format, the old model is outclassed compared to their other products. The question is however, how long would we have to wait for them to appear in the shops and at what price ? On current production delays, this could in effect be 3-4 yrs !

It's taken Bachmann four years from announcement to produce a re-chassised Ivatt tank which appears to contain just one part that they hadn't already tooled for the equivalent 2-6-0, and retains, unimproved, a body that would place it firmly in the Railroad range were it made by Hornby.

On top of that, the r.r.p exceeds that of several Hornby models that are light-years ahead of it in almost every way.

On that basis, I'm praying that Hornby DO get involved in making some Bulleid coaches, albeit different diagrams to the types Bachmann have already done, and which I have spent a significant amount of time and effort in improving. 

John

• RMweb Gold

If this is the case, that Hornby are considering Bulleid coaches let's hope they choose the end door variety

1) The earlier builds ( 1947 ) can carry full malachite with ' sunshine ' lettering.

2) More prototypes to model ie. BCK ( Two varieties ), Bournemouth line 6 car dining sets.

3) No one has ever produced the shallow vent Bulleids in RTR. thus missing out on SR livery.

Top quality Bulleids, to today's standards are probably the most glaring omission from any range.

Whoever produced them, if they made the window vents as part of the glazing, it would be quite simple to do both SR and BR-built Bulleids. 

However, if Hornby were to do the earliest (1946) Bulleid stock, the 59' 3-set, they could use the existing Maunsell underframe tooling that has already found further use under the rebuilt LSWR stock.

If the quote isn't a typo, I'd think that might be more likely in the short term as it could be done quicker and cheaper.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

From what I read of the Hornby bulletin, it mentioned the Bullied rebuild of the pre-Maunsell coaches.

But the LSWR rebulilds recently modelled were produced in 1935/6 under the Maunsell regime; Bulleid didn't take over as CME until 1937. 

John

• Like 1

I agree Trevor.

Not only do the pre-nationalisation Shallow vent, 64' - 6" stock need an airing, but, Hornby could, at least, make an attempt to convert their 59' Maunsell's into something.resembling Bulleid's 59' Multi-door corridor stock.

Bulleid's 'Shorties', both Composites' and Brakes', internal layouts, closely followed those found within the earlier equivalent Maunsell stock. Under-frames were of the same dimensions / layout and carried similar equipment.

All Hornby has to do is provide the appropriate body shell and remember that these coaches carried liveries in Bulleid SR Malachite 'n' 'Sunshine', early Bulleid BR Malachite, BR Carmine & Cream, BR(S) Green, latterly with full-blown Cream 'First class' stripes at Cant-rail level. (coupled with missing upper roof Rain-strips and added body-side Beading).

P.S.

Also handy for those modelling the S&DJR in it's closing years.

I rest my case.

All the best,

Ceptic.

Edited by Ceptic
  • Like 1

I agree Trevor.

Not only do the pre-nationalisation Shallow vent, 64' - 6" stock need an airing, but, Hornby could, at least, make an attempt to convert their 59' Maunsell's into something.resembling Bulleid's 59' Multi-door corridor stock.

Bulleid's 'Shorties', both Composites' and Brakes', internal layouts, closely followed those found within the earlier equivalent Maunsell stock. Under-frames were of the same dimensions / layout and carried similar equipment.

All Hornby has to do is provide the appropriate body shell and remember that these coaches carried liveries in Bulleid Malachite 'n' 'Sunshine', early Bulleid BR Malachite, BR Carmine & Cream, BR(S) Green, latterly with full-blown Cream 'First class' stripes at Cant-rail level. (coupled with missing upper roof Rain-strips and added body-side Beading).

P.S.

I rest my case.

All the best,

Ceptic.

Absolutely agree, bring on the shorties.

As an aside, for a short while the SR actually had the makings of a streamline train. A Bulleid pacific in full malachite with three yellow stripes

and a Bournemouth 6 car dining set with the bodyside extended over the sole bars.

But as far as I know the Southern's publicity dept. never made anything of it.

At the time such a train, with it's clean, smooth lines and bright livery would have made quite an impression on the travelling public.

So soon after the dark days of war.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely agree it would be good for Hornby to bring out Bullieds to the standards of their latest Colletts and L&SWR stock. But I fear this is a misunderstanding somewhere along the run. I do think it would be a good choice for them despite the existence of the Bachmann range. They could be volume sellers if brought in at reasonable price ie their existing pricing structure. Weren't the Bachmann Bullieds originally designed by Airfix ? I do remember tantalising glimpses of These coaches appearing in Airfix Catalogues. As coach ranges to model run out, I think it is time for a revamp.

The old Bachmann models are pretty much equivalent to the entry level Railroad level models used for trainsets by Hornby (they're nothing like as good as the better Railroad models) and are limited in terms of types modelled. Good Bulleid coaches to modern standards would be a wonderful surprise from Hornby if it were true and would complement their upcoming air smoothed Merchant Navy models as well as their various existing Southern locomotives. We can only hope it isn't a typo.

Personally, I cannot think of any railroad models that are actually better than the Bachmann Bulleids' (excluding some modern era items). Granted, the Bulleids' are getting on a bit, they out class those late 70s tooled Collets, Maunsells, Staniers, Gresleys and Pullmans by some margin. You won't see me running any of those on the layout today unless I'm doing a 70s nostalgia thing.

Maybe their new Mk 1s, but this would be only on shape and not on detail.

I agree Trevor.

All Hornby has to do is provide the appropriate body shell and remember that these coaches carried liveries in Bulleid SR Malachite 'n' 'Sunshine', early Bulleid BR Malachite, BR Carmine & Cream, BR(S) Green, latterly with full-blown Cream 'First class' stripes at Cant-rail level. (coupled with missing upper roof Rain-strips and added body-side Beading).

P.S.

I rest my case.

All the best,

Ceptic.

Also a few in Maroon livery as transferred to the Scottish Region, would be interested in one or two of these myself.

Jim

• Like 1

By neglecting to upgrade their own coaches for so long, Bachmann are leaving an open goal for Hornby or anyone else in the same way they did with the B1 and BR4 4-6-0 locos.

John

With rolling stock, which sells less, it is always do we retool existing items or do things that are not done before? Certain subjects really are toy like and are easy candidates for new tooling. Others a lot less so. An example, Bachmann probably felt that everyone was happy with the Ivatt 2MT body - it was highly praised when first released with little, if any, criticism since but has met some heavy flak upon re-release with a new chassis.

On the other hand, the Jinty, Patriot etc were easy candidates.

I agree with others that this is probably a misunderstanding of some kind. Still, it's nice to dream, particularly of the multidoor 59' stock :)

It may be a misunderstanding, but the various contributors to this thread seem to be showing great enthusiasm for these coaches.

So if Hornby read the topics on RM web, and enough modellers express interest in some new Bulleids , they might listen.

Just think of the post war train formations that could be made up, with a sprinkling of high quality Bulleids. ACE anyone !.

• Like 4