Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

What do you do with your boxes?

Hello

I have got to the point where storage space is non-existent, i am a member of a model rail club as well as having my own layout so my stock has to travel. 

My loco`s are in glass cabinets under my layout and are transported in large plastic boxes individually protected by bubble wrap and rolling stock is in various large boxes/trays with sheets of bubble wrap for transport protection.

I am left with many large boxes full of empty stock boxes and something has to go, should i ditch the rolling stock boxes and keep the loco boxes for future sale? What do you guys do? Are the wagon/coach boxes worth anything?

thanks.

The boxes are worth something if you ever contemplate selling anything, or indeed are bothered about whether those that come after you want to sell anything. The box is often worth more than the contents in some instances, insofar as the amount it can add to the selling price.

I keep all of my empty boxes in the loft in plastic crates. They came into their own a week ago when I agreed to swap with a friend a whole bunch of locomotives and stock that I had become bored with that he desperately wanted. Having the boxes able to be retrieved from the loft was a deal clincher as he didn't really want unboxed stuff. In return I got to be the owner of a brand new Hornby Bristolian set and class 71.

• Like 3

It rather depends if you are in a collector or runner mode, most collectors like the boxes, especially with older items,  over the years I have kept boxes for that time when I would sell the trains and make lots of money.  That was a bit of a fable especially now that modern makes have come on the scene and there are boxes and boxes taking up valuable room.  Its come to the point now that I am almost convinced  to bin the lot; I keep stock on shelves anyway.  For anything really valuable, I will keep the boxes but for lesser items, the boxes will go as they probably aren't worth a lot anyway especially where I am located.

Brian.

Question: How long have you been buying?

If more than 20 years, how many upgrade cycles have you seen for each or your favourite models? Would you like the latest super-detail upgraded model or do you just keep the old ones?

In my modelling life-time I have upgraded my Britannia fleet five times, my West Countries four times, my Castles the same. I've lost count of how many A3 and A4 upgrades I have made.

Each time a new model upgrade appears I look in horror at the price, give the old one a clean and a service, fetch the old box from the loft...

...and usually manage to sell for anything between two-thirds and three-quarters the price of the new one. Sometimes much more. 

Indeed my old Wrenns financed a whole new layout as well as their replacements in full.

The word "boxed" can add half as much again to the value of a secondhand model, not because the box is worth that, but because it signals an owner who takes care of his things.

All because of a small space in the loft for the boxes.

No-brainer, really.

Packaging is recycled. The stock is bought to run - a lot -  every piece altered in some way, no s/h value to speak of: especially the locos which achieve mechanism wear out. My renewal cycles are finding new mechanisms to replace the clapped out. (Once the driving wheel tyres have grooves in them, they are pretty much all done.)

I always keep the boxes for Locomotives, but not for anything else. Unfitted small bits and instructions etc kept in box. Loco boxes are put in larger boxes and stored in loft. My thinking here is for eventual value holding. (boxed locos sell for more), as mentioned by Forester above.

Brit15

• Like 1

I've always kept boxes for everything since being a child, obsessive really, the idea being that stuff could be protected if moving, or more valuable if sold.

Well, now into my seventh decade, and I've sold very little ever, still keep buying though! I suspect that when I go, hopefully later rather than sooner, the value of my stuff will be not a lot as I can't see younger people being interested in mainly transition era locos and stock. Plus I must agree with the previous post #6 about modified and detailed stuff, all mine have scale couplings for example, this further zaps any resell value.

We have a big loft, so I'll carry on keeping the boxes, but more from habit than expectation.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

This reminds me something that's long bugged me. At least in N gauge, the continental manufacturers all use compact plastic boxes for rolling stock, which stack nicely (and fit neatly, two deep, into A4 Really Useful Boxes). Whereas in the UK market Dapol use the same chunky plastic box for both locos and wagons etc, and Farish persist with flimsy card boxes, with oodles of vac-formed plastic packing, for coaches and wagons. PECO seem to have switched from their compact plastic boxes on card backing to an odd large plastic box with faux backscene and the wagon lashed to the bottom.

I'm guessing the aim is to maximise shelf space taken to catch the eye of those "browsing" at shops and exhibitions. Whereas on the mainland shops tend to display much more stock, not just locos, in glass display cases and keep the boxes in cupboards.

The result is I tend to keep the boxes for all of my continental N gauge, and British locos, but junk the cardboard boxes from Farish rolling stock.

Justin

I tend to keep and store locomotives in their original boxes (where I have them) along with their paperwork and bits where I have those and mostly do that for coaches as well. Most of my wagons with little second hand value, live in Bachmann Collectors Club boxes (or their plain equivalent) and two of those hold the Kadee equipped wagons and four wheel coaches that I use on my current layout. For some of the more desirable items among those I have  kept the boxes but I'm probably kiddling myself- the wagons that might be worth something are generally the ones I want to keep anyway- that's why I bought them. I suspect that if I do flog off a bunch of unwanted wagons it may be better to do it as batches rather than trying to sell them individually.

I'm gradually sorting my stock (H0) into those I want to use (even sometime!!) and those I really should sell-on and the latter are being stored separately- in their original boxes where available. 

• RMweb Premium

I would call myself a runner rather than a collector but have amassed a collection which has been described as quite substantial.

Every box has been dutifully kept. When they began to overflow the workroom they went into plastic crates in the loft. What I never did was to keep track of what was where so when a few items were sold on the boxes could not readily be found.

Life moves on and early this year I was obliged to make some hard decisions. Seventeen years in Australia was about to end and I had to dispose of or ship all the stock. Not even boxed British stock sells easily there: the marketplace is too small and the cost of mailing prohibitive.

Aside from a few more items which I sold to friends everything was packed for shipping. The need to minimise volume for the container and the potential time required to re-box everything means that I had to make the decision to dispose of the coaching stock and wagon boxes. Only locomotives, multiple units and limited-edition commission wagons were boxed.

While that potentially devalues the stock I continue to be a runner rather than a collector and resale value is of minimal importance to me.

I keep all my boxes so when I boxed up all my N gauge last year I was pretty upset to find I have a DMU and a 40 without a box - no idea where they have gone seeing as all the others turned up where I expected them to be.

As other's have noted, when I sell (or buy) I prefer them to be in the correct box, it does show a bit more care and attention.

Mind you, these OO boxes are a bit bigger and my stock levels are growing

• RMweb Gold

I keep the boxes, in a plastic crate in the understairs storage.  Space is not the main issue, even in a rather small flat, as my tiny blt only has 56 items of stock (just counted), over half being short wheelbase wagons, so it may be easier for me than for some of you.  I have no intention of or interest in ever selling on any of these models; they are mostly modified or weathered by myself in some way to suit my purposes, which has destroyed their resale value to collectors and diminished it to others.  This is of no consequence to me.  

Of course, if I buy anything s/h, I want it in the original and correct box, which has to be in mint condition, or the price has to reflect the omission!  Double standards, me, never...

I keep the boxes to protect the stock in the event of a move, and they came in very handy recently when my landlord redecorated, provided new carpet, and repaired a dip in the railway room (bedroom) floor, which meant the layout had to come down and be temporarily stored.  I had a bad experience years ago with bubble wrap, which left marks all over my Lima dmu as if the beast from 20,000 fathoms had had a go at it (I have always wanted to one day be in a situation where I can command my minions to 'Release the Kraken'...).

Some boxes have been given an exciting new opportunity to join the scenery support structure or buffer to stop stock flying off the end of the fiddle yard industries, but could revert to their original tasks if necessary.

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Premium

I keep all boxes - even the condition of some of them is no longer perfect. Only loss I had was water entering my garage (basement) in Italy some 15 years ago - so there I lost some of the cardboard boxes of several Roco locomotives - so I have only the original expanded polystyrene where the locos were. Is still a protection but doesn't look good.

Now in the UK I do not have a basement - so less chances of water getting into my stuff...

• RMweb Gold

I keep the boxes up in the loft as described by Jenny Emily. Numbered crates and a list of what's in each so I can find them when I want.  

Anything you do dispose of will fetch a bit more if boxed, even for "runners" - it gives an impression the model has been looked after.

If the item is "collectible" the lack of a box is likely to result in a significantly lower price being realised.

It's also a good idea if you want to thin out what's on the layout to make room for all the lovely new stuff, reboxing will protect your locos etc. against the day when you miss them........

John

Top tip.....

A good mate would keep the boxes for everything.

When a new item was bought (OO) he would open the box and use some of the little round coloured stickers you could get, red for locos, blue for coaches etc etc etc.

He would number the loco and the corresponding box.

I said to him one day that surely he knew what was what.

Yes he did, but those sorting out his estate if he suddenly went wouldn't!

He's 84 now and still modelling, tho now in N gauge, having sold up, gone over to finescale O, then back to OO .......

And he's still using the stickers!

Edited by BlackRat
  • Like 4

I always keep the boxes for Locomotives, but not for anything else. Unfitted small bits and instructions etc kept in box. Loco boxes are put in larger boxes and stored in loft. 

I keep all of mine, rolling stock included, all in bigger boxes, that go towards adding to the loft insulation. :sungum:  

• Like 1

Interesting that this topic should come up now for me as I have just reached a dilemma re this issue . 

I have always kept all my boxes but my loft space in which I keep the boxes in plastic crates and also some drawers are now full of old stock boxes and as I buy new purchases the boxes have started to pile up in the railway room.

It is now time to make a decision and I think it's going to have to be to keep all the loco boxes with instructions and any detailing accessories I haven't used and possibly any rare items of rolling stock but to bin all the coach and wagon boxes and those for the Hornby Skaledale and Bachmann Scenecraft items.  I would prefer to keep them all but needs must.

As the posts above demonstrate this is clearly a personal choice.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For me, the situation regarding both locos and stock, and their boxes, is clear cut.

A loco is either an RTR model in it's original box, waiting to be detailed and weathered, and perhaps have other work done on it, before entering 'layout/exhibition service'. A kit loco similarly is just a collection of parts, sitting in it's original box, waiting to be built, painted and weathered. Locos or stock that haven't had this work done on them don't get used for exhibitions, so they are fine just sitting in their original boxes, waiting their turn on the work bench.

I am extremely reluctant to put any loco or item of stock that has been built/fettled/weathered etc. and is ready for layout use, back in it's original box, because of the heightened risk of damaging some of the detailing or perhaps the weathering. Also, putting some stock back in original boxes requires rather more handling of a 'finished item' than I am comfortable with. As such, all locos and stock that have been worked for have their own, bespoke boxes made for them. For coaches and wagons, this tends to be file boxes or shoe boxes, with several items of stock in it, each item separated by card dividers (Dalerboard), plus foam padding as required.

Each 'layout ready' loco has it's own Dalerboard box specially built (by me). The loco sits on a card cradle within, which has paper sides, the tops of which are used to lift the loco out of the main box. Each paper side has bits of foam padding attached to correspond with suitable parts of the loco, so that when the whole thing is inside the main box, the foam holds the loco in place. A bit of foam on the lid of the box ensures that there is absolutely no movement possible when the box is sealed up (with a high-tech elastic band).

It takes about 45 mins to an hour to make each such box, but I've found it to be worth the effort, as not only are the locos less prone to damage or finger marks on matt surfaces when being removed or put back in their boxes, these replacement boxes also take up a lot less space than the RTR boxes they came in.

Once a loco has been made 'layout ready', the original box is recycled or perhaps given to a friend who might want it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Top tip.....

A good mate would keep the boxes for everything.

When a new item was bought (OO) he would open the box and use some of the little round coloured stickers you could get, red for locos, blue for coaches etc etc etc.

He would number the loco and the corresponding box.

I said to him one day that surely he knew what was what.

Yes he did, but those sorting out his estate if he suddenly went wouldn't!

He's 84 now and still modelling, tho now in N gauge, having sold up, gone over to finescale O, then back to OO .......

And he's still using the stickers!

I have a register of all my stock which is all numbered. The list notes the manufacturer's catalogue number where applicable, condition, mods/detailing and whether there is a box. It also has an idea of what it is likely to fetch on a private sale and what a dealer might offer. 

For running purposes the rolling stock is kept in home-built trays under the layout. Trays for frequently used locos have a removable side and tracks in them. This gives access to slide them out onto a Peco loco lift to put onto the layout. Stock in occasional use is kept in Really Useful Box trays.

• Like 1

I'm sort of on the other end of this, in that I like oldish models, and am bordering on being a collector (I would probably cross the border, if I could afford to).

While I wouldn't fork out lots of extra money for a boxed item, just because of the box, it seems to be the case that old things with boxes are usually in better condition than old things without; they have generally been used less or cared for better. And, some of the boxes have a story to tell: I have a 1930s loco in a box that has the name and address of the original owner pencilled inside, which I think adds to the charm. But, unless kept in very good conditions, boxes start to disintegrate by c80 years anyway, and barely any of the true ancients, from pre-WW1 is still living in its original box.

So ......, I know not how to advise buyers of modern products.

Apart from a few true rarities that are of genuinely good quality, few toy trains do better than maintain value in real terms, and most lose value. Ordinary HD or Wrenn in nearly new condition is about the same price in real terms as it was when made; we just tend to forget how blooming expensive good toy trains were until about thirty years ago! In the long run, it will be the nature and condition of the thing inside the box, rather than the box, in most cases, that will tip the monetary scales.

Kevin

I make my own boxes out of cardboard as I am not a fan of modern model boxes, polystyrene tends to break up, it's often differcult to get models back in, they are not durable, some packaging can attack the plastic of models.

One advantage is the simple cardboard boxes like the old Hornby dublo and triang ones is that you can fold them flat while stock is on the layout, they take up very little space.

Coaches and wagons can be stored in them, locos are slightly different but providing you pack the ends I've noticed they suffer less damage.

Course collectors would say that without the box it's worth less, true for some rare models, but most are worth very little over time, more likely the polystyrene packing has decomposed

• RMweb Premium

I am very much a keep the boxes man.  The potential intrinsic value is of absolutely no interest to me - it might be to my heirs but that is another question.

Over 20+ years I have suffered/enjoyed in equal measure work inflicted movements across a number of countries.  Move me. move my stock - and the boxes provide the protection against the hairy @rsed removal man who understands little of their value.  I have done this to the extent of making boxes for those items bought second hand without one or those kit built items where the original box was designed for the kit items but not the finished product.

I understand those whose location is permanent and do not need boxes for their stock.  I just hope their location is indeed truly permanent.  My permanent location in a job for life proved to be impermanent, and a job for life as long as targets were exceeded.  I have no regrets or disagreements; it is just as it turned out.  I suspect the trend will continue in the future. 

Edited by Andy Hayter