The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

At least it wasnt my ute. That doesnt have a spare but relies on a can of goo that you spray into a flat tyre to get you going again. No way goo would have stayed in THAT tyre!

That's bonkers for a utility vehicle. I have a little two-seater with a similar arrangement which is not surprising but our Wrangler has a full-size spare hanging on the tailgate. I wouldn't dare go "off-road" without a proper spare.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, AndyID said:

That's bonkers for a utility vehicle. I have a little two-seater with a similar arrangement which is not surprising but our Wrangler has a full-size spare hanging on the tailgate. I wouldn't dare go "off-road" without a proper spare.

With 100mm ground clearance  the only off road it does is to drive carefully up my driveway. (where it scrapes on the slight humpy bit that the car is parked on in this pic!) 

PXL_20220108_031010337.jpg.78504e4ee319fc8c71cb773a11419f2b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

With 100mm ground clearance  the only off road it does is to drive carefully up my driveway. (where it scrapes on the slight humpy bit that the car is parked on in this pic!) 

PXL_20220108_031010337.jpg.78504e4ee319fc8c71cb773a11419f2b.jpg

So did you run into something on the tarp, that damaged the tyre?

• Funny 2

Here's a town with a difference in Australia where people live in an extreme climate and cope with it. This place needs no introduction to dinky die Aussies as they've all heard of it but not necessarily visited it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Here's another video that gives an insight into how Australia is governed and run. There's many videos that deal with snakes and spiders and all out to kill you. People who do those types of videos have no idea about Australia, it's culture and how society is governed. Australian society is very different from anywhere else and that includes the UK.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks like it may have rubbed on a suspension component for some reason, or at least you got something stuck between tyre and suspension to do that damage, unlikely to be a static fail as it’s torn in two places with good rubber between.

Run over a Croc on the way home did you? :lol:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, faulcon1 said:

Here's a town with a difference in Australia where people live in an extreme climate and cope with it. This place needs no introduction to dinky die Aussies as they've all heard of it but not necessarily visited it.

No such thing as no room for a layout, just start digging.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Victoria's not too bad!

What happened to Burrumbuttock, Koolyanobbing, Watanobbi, Fannie Bay and Iron Knob? 

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

"Renting an old Queenslander with a high tongue and groove ceiling" sounds like some sort of Barry Humphries character....

The Skoda Yeti has a similar arrangement involving no spare and a can of green goo. Mind you, most of the 4x4 round here have the spare removed and secured in the owners garage.... 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

8 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

No such thing as no room for a layout, just start digging.

Yes and being underground it's also the best place for a layout with a steady cool temperature and no UV light to fade anything. Would be interesting to have the kids come home from school which is probably underground too, do their homework and chores and then start jack hammering to make a new large space for the new large terminus. Just make sure you don't break through the wall of a next door neighbour. Many homes there are two level with the kitchen, bathroom, toilet and laundry on the first level underground with the living and bedroom areas on a lower level. The only downside is no windows so no views but when you look at the landscape it's the same in every direction.    

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, kevinlms said:

So did you run into something on the tarp, that damaged the tyre?

No, I parked on the street Tuesday evening and I know it was ok then because I cut the grass and swept along the kerb so would have noticed the tyre even if I hadn't noticed it while driving, which in itself would be hard to do.

Came out this morning and spotted it straight away so something happened over night while parked because it hardly looks like a slow leak..

I do have a whacky old lady who lives next door who loved to stand outside at night and watch the bats who I've had some issues with, but I can't see her crawling under the car to get to the inside of the tyre.. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

No, I parked on the street Tuesday evening and I know it was ok then because I cut the grass and swept along the kerb so would have noticed the tyre even if I hadn't noticed it while driving, which in itself would be hard to do.

Came out this morning and spotted it straight away so something happened over night while parked because it hardly looks like a slow leak..

I do have a whacky old lady who lives next door who loved to stand outside at night and watch the bats who I've had some issues with, but I can't see her crawling under the car to get to the inside of the tyre.. 

maybe it wasn’t a Croc you ran over…..poor old woman :lol:

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Not Australia, but in Kentucky:

1158693786_0033100_0027postedposted27aug17.jpg.f58a4fdcb20a4bbea60616c2147a3d54.jpg

EDIT: "Lick" is another name for a stream, brook, etc.

And in Indiana,

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@38.5595835,-86.6137704,3a,15y,236.05h,91.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s1H6XYDnlYcxtvO5zvtJmPA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rockershovel said:

"Renting an old Queenslander with a high tongue and groove ceiling" sounds like some sort of Barry Humphries character....

I do have a couple of Barry Humphries' stories. One from a mate who entered one of his performances late. It's more than a little racist so I'll decline to share it here.

I saw him once. (Or his doppelganger.) It was in a National Park and I had no intention of disturbing his day. (I'm pretty sure it was him.)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I do have a couple of Barry Humphries' stories.

A friend of ours was, for a time, Barry's dresser.  She toured with him which is what brought her, a West Australian woman, to the UK and brought her, SWMBO and myself together.  She had left his employment after a performance in, I think, Bath, having had far more than enough of "A grumpy, slimy and impossible old man" who she claimed made constant and unreasonable demands of those around him.  

Our friend - a dressmaker and costumier by training - went on to make costumes for the Sealed Knot re-enactors in the UK and played her part in mowing down marauders with her sword.  A treat which she greatly enjoyed having passed the required examination in swords(wo)manship.  She has in recent years returned to WA meaning we are unlikely to meet in person for quite some time - if ever - in the future.  

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

My cousin, a professional musician lives in Blackpool. He said some of the household names in entertainment back when he was working the theatres in Blackpool were some of the nastiest individuals going. Some of the things he said about Max Bygraves and Ken Dodd I couldn't repeat here.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

45 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

My cousin, a professional musician lives in Blackpool. He said some of the household names in entertainment back when he was working the theatres in Blackpool were some of the nastiest individuals going. Some of the things he said about Max Bygraves and Ken Dodd I couldn't repeat here.

There were a lot of supposedly wholesome entertainers who were particularly nasty when the public wasn't around. A friend of my grandfather was a driver for Danny Kaye when he was entertaining the troops in Korea. The stories I heard can't be repeated here, and as a sergeant who had heard everything and dished out everything to recruits even he found Kaye's language quite shocking.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Dame Vera Lynn……….my cousin was her driver/helper for decades, and he said…..

She was the loveliest lady he had ever met, which is why he stuck by her until her demise.

Just for balance :D

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 12