Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Q&A - The Wishlist Poll 2018

• RMweb Gold

Q&A – The Wishlist Poll 2018

From The Poll Team

The Poll Team is delighted to say that The Wishlist Poll 2018 will run from early on Monday 15 October to midnight on Saturday 3 November. Although you will find this Q&A within The Poll itself, we felt it worth repeating here before you take part.

What is the purpose of The Poll?

To provide an easy and enjoyable way for modellers and collectors to indicate to the major manufacturers and commissioners of ready-to-run 00 railway models what they would like to see made from all new tooling (excluding models announced, tooled or made since 2000).

It aims to seek what you would realistically wish to buy at any time in the future, bearing in mind that new models take around two to three years to develop.

We chose the year 2000 and ‘all new tooling’ basis to give us an agreed cut-off date of items for listing and to preclude us making ‘quality judgments’. If voters feel that any pre-2000 model is fine – and many are – there is no need to vote for them. We don’t expect makers to scrap their tooling and make a totally new model that might only be marginally better!

Who has been involved in putting The Poll and Guide together?

The 9-man Poll Team has put every item and every word of The Guide through a thorough process of review. It contains approx. 95,000 words of text and around 1,800 ‘links’.

For comments and help with various matters, we would like to thank Mike Bootman, Chris Foren, Brian Hardy and ‘Fris’ Friswell (both London Underground Railway Society), Peter Hughes and David Newby.

Our grateful thanks also go to Andy York of RMweb for yet again preparing the computerised voting aspects. Andy doesn’t have any direct input to the actual content, but there wouldn’t be a Poll without him!

Do you get paid?

No! The 9-man Poll Team is totally independent, but we are most grateful for the support with space and publicity we receive from RMweb as well as numerous magazines, clubs and retailers.

What’s new for The Wishlist Poll 2018?

Time constraints – particularly on ‘lead role’ Brian Macdermott who acts as a ‘carer’ for his disabled wife – have meant that we have decided to run just 00 from now on. The upside is that we are now adding many new items along with Guide entries. We were getting far more requests to list additional 00 items than N and there are far more new 00 models announced so we hope you will understand. But all is not lost – talks are in hand for an N group to take that part from us!

We have deleted the 39 items announced since the 2016 Poll Results and have added 92 new items.

We now ‘spell out’ what were previously abbreviations, obviating the need for a Glossary.

Which companies do you see as the ‘major’ manufacturers?

Accurascale, Bachmann, C Rail Intermodal, Dapol, DJModels, Heljan, Hornby, Oxford Rail, Peco and Rapido.

Which companies/organisations do you see as those who commission models?

BRM, Drax Power Station, Flangeway, Hattons, Hornby Magazine, Ian Allan, Invicta, Kernow Model Centre, Model Rail, National Railway Museum, Olivia’s Trains, RMweb, Rail Exclusives, Rail Express Modeller, Rails of Sheffield, Real Track, Revolution Trains, STEAM Museum (Swindon) and TMC.

What is included or specifically excluded from The Poll?

We include a wide selection of locos, rolling stock and infrastructure of British Railways, its predecessors and successors as well as Standard Gauge Industrial locos and London Underground rolling stock. Many items of a ‘heritage/preserved’ nature are included by default. We could easily show over 30,000 items – there are over 400 types of GWR coach and 250 LMS wagons – so we have to ‘draw a line’ somewhere!

We specifically exclude any item that has been announced for production from all new tooling or actually produced from all new tooling since 1 January 2000. Other examples excluded are: Channel Tunnel (apart from Eurostar); dock and military systems (apart from any that may be in the Industrial category); airport inter-terminal systems; broad and narrow gauge trains; tram, tram-train, metro and underground systems (apart from London Underground); and ‘Thomas the Tank’.

What is the running order of categories for the 2018 Poll?

1     Locos: GWR & Constituents

2     Locos: SR & Constituents

3     Locos: LMS & Constituents

4     Locos: LNER & Constituents

5     Locos: BR Standard, WD & USATC

6     Locos: Gas Turbine, Diesel & Electric

7     Railbuses, Railcars & DMUs

8     EMUs

9     Coaches: GWR & Constituents

10   Coaches: SR & Constituents

11   Coaches: LMS & Constituents

12   Coaches: LNER & Constituents

13   Coaches: BR & Successors + Pullman Cars

14   Coaching Stock: Non-passenger-carrying

15   Freight Stock: Pre-1948 (but inc BR descendants)

16   Freight Stock: 1948-1963

17   Freight Stock: 1964-current

18   General Railway Service Stock (Departmental)

19   Standard Gauge Industrial

20   London Underground (inc IoW stock)

Note particularly that Freight Stock: Pre-1948 covers not only diagram designs up to 1948 but also vehicles perpetuated to those or very similar designs by BR. We have done this to give the maximum time-frame. So, if you want freight stock for the main BR steam era, please look at this before the 1948-1963 category.

What will voters find when they first ‘click’ into the The Poll?

The title page gives some background as well as a ‘link’ to The Guide which includes a Jargon Buster. You will then find the 20 voting categories. If you are only interested in, say, GWR locos, all you need do is click on those items you wish to vote for, then scroll to the end and hit ‘submit’.

If you are an experienced modeller who knows what you want, you can ‘dive straight in’ via the links. However, whilst there is no actual need to access The Guide, we strongly urge you to do so, as we give you a summary of all the items in each category. You will be able to get an overall feel for what you want to vote for before going into the voting section – especially the Freight Stock categories.

The Poll Team has created The Guide in the same running order as you will find it in the voting categories. Each item has had a few lines of text written about it to help you put it in context. It is not designed as a ‘definitive history’.

Where possible, we have provided ‘links’ to further detail – but these should be treated as a ‘general reference’. Locos and rolling stock often changed in appearance slightly over the years. All ‘links’ have been given in good faith and were working at the time of publication but we leave it to the discretion of the voter whether they click on any. We cannot take responsibility for the information on those links or any subsequent impact on pollsters’ computers.

The Guide is particularly valuable if you are a less-experienced modeller who doesn’t know – for example –  the build-dates of the various BR Mk1 catering vehicles, or whether one particular 0-6-0 loco will suit your needs better than others. As noted above, The Guide is presented in exactly the same order as the votable items; you can print it out and use it as ‘a pre-planner’.

Why do you specify BR running numbers? Does this mean we can’t express a Pre-Grouping wish?

The addition of BR running numbers was made some years ago at the request of voters and we have had notes of appreciation for that. They are there simply to assist identification. It is impossible for us to take into account the vast array of variations within classes over the years. The manufacturers will ‘get as much as they can’ from any model via the use of slip tools and so on. It seems to make commercial sense for them to produce models which span a number of decades and which appeal to a wide audience.

Do you say if kits are available?

We have mentioned kits in the past but have found that it takes an inordinate amount of time to keep information up to date. However, you will find a link in each category to take you to kit makers and other suppliers. This is – after all – a Poll for ready-to-run items!

Can voters vote for livery options?

We investigated the possibility, but the subject is so vast that it is impractical for us. However, companies such as Kernow, Oxford Rail and Revolution Trains announce models and seek customer views on liveries.

Is there any limit to what voters can vote for?

You can vote for whatever you would realistically wish to buy at any time in the future. Please note that The Team reserves the right to delete without query any entry that it feels is not based on that premise.

Please note: Only one entry per voter is permitted.

Do you ask voters for email addresses to enter The Poll?

No. Entry in The Poll will not generate any email correspondence whatsoever. We will only contact you in response to valid queries as below.

Can voters print out what they have voted for?

Yes, but please note that you will get the entire list including what you haven’t voted for. We’re sorry but we are unable to change that. A way round is to ‘pre-plan’ your voting:

• Go to The Guide.
  • Print out the summaries of the categories you want to vote in.
  • Tick the items you want to vote for.
  • Use this to help ensure you don’t miss anything when you actually vote.

What if voters have any technical difficulties while voting?

Please email Andy York: info@rmweb.co.uk.

What if voters have: difficulty accessing The Guide; have comments on it; have any suggestions for 2019; or need impartial help or advice?

Please email The Poll Team: thepollteam@gmail.com. An acknowledgment will normally be sent within 24 hours, but a full answer might take a few days. We will also answer queries on RMweb.

When will the results be published?

We aim to publish the results by early November. Many printed magazines will carry an abridged summary.

Does The Poll Team expect ‘the top items’ to be made?

We would ask voters to appreciate that manufacturers lay plans anything up to three years or more in advance and have to continually balance requests against their current models and proposed portfolios – as well as those of their competitors. To us, it’s a hobby; to them, it’s a commercial decision.

We make no claim that models are made specifically as a result of The Poll. However, you may find it interesting to see how 00 models announced since the 2016 Poll up to mid-September 2018 fared:

• 10         Top 50                       
  • 17         High Polling (exc Top 50)                              
  • 9           Middle Polling (and six of these were higher than the overall half-way mark)
  • 3           Low Polling

We hope you enjoy taking part in The Wishlist Poll 2018! We are hoping to get a record number of voters this year, but we can’t do that without your help. Please drop an email about The Poll to your friends along with the posters – they might vote for the items you want! Thanks!

Link to poll

The Poll Team

Neil Burgess, Robert Carroll, Chris Knowles-Thomas, John Lewis, Jeff Lynn, Brian Macdermott, Nick Stanbury, Ian Taylor  & Glen Woods

1. 2018 Poll A5 Mini-poster.pdf

2. 2018 Poll A4 Poster.pdf

Edited by Andy Y
Link added.
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

A reminder that The Poll is now open for voting.

May I thank all those who have so far downloaded our Poll leaflets/posters?

If you haven't already, could I encourage you to do so and use them at your club or local model shop (with permission please - we don't want you being branded a fly-poster!)

I would also like to thank the clubs who have written to me saying that the posters are going up on their notice boards etc. Some of those clubs also very kindly went to the trouble of sending me photos of their layouts - all much appreciated!

OK...happy voting and let's hope we will continue to get more excellent models from our hard-working manufacturers.

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team)

• Like 2

Really wonderful to see the poll back, I enjoy reading the results as much as taking part.

I am a little 'confused' over a few items listed/missing. 

- class 88? Was this missed as assumed to be a Dapol product? Certainly not announced, and I would of liked to have wished this locomotive.

- class 755 (& 745 though a different formation/body). Guide mentions they shall be included, yet I cannot find them. I would of liked to have wished these Stadler units. They are very different and interesting to the network.

- IIA-A wagons for MRL, Cemex, DB and GBRf. Very similar to Dapol's HIA yet these have a longer body and thus new tooling.

- other box wagons used by MRL.

- London Underground wagons to run with the 1964-73 Battery Locomotives. Naturally Dapol's Turbot could be modified to cover the SB wagons. Yet the GP wagons would be new tool and ideal to run with a Battery Locomotive. 

- MENTOR and SGT are listed, yet the more useful Ultrasonic coaches are not. Yes, Britannia Pacific Models produce the UTC coaches (as per the MENTOR - released last month). Yet these are brass hand built and not RTR manufactured in China. 

• RMweb Premium

Really wonderful to see the poll back, I enjoy reading the results as much as taking part.

I am a little 'confused' over a few items listed/missing. 

- class 88? Was this missed as assumed to be a Dapol product? Certainly not announced, and I would of liked to have wished this locomotive.

- class 755 (& 745 though a different formation/body). Guide mentions they shall be included, yet I cannot find them. I would of liked to have wished these Stadler units. They are very different and interesting to the network.

- IIA-A wagons for MRL, Cemex, DB and GBRf. Very similar to Dapol's HIA yet these have a longer body and thus new tooling.

- other box wagons used by MRL.

- London Underground wagons to run with the 1964-73 Battery Locomotives. Naturally Dapol's Turbot could be modified to cover the SB wagons. Yet the GP wagons would be new tool and ideal to run with a Battery Locomotive. 

- MENTOR and SGT are listed, yet the more useful Ultrasonic coaches are not. Yes, Britannia Pacific Models produce the UTC coaches (as per the MENTOR - released last month). Yet these are brass hand built and not RTR manufactured in China. 

Agree that the 88 is strange omission.

As for wagons - there are many types out there which make it difficult to list them all.

I's like to see the shortened HRA (from HTA) and the similar shorty IIA/HYA cutdowns for GBRf/Tarmac

Lots of bogie boxes - MMA/MXA/MWA etc.

• RMweb Gold

Hello 159220

Thanks for the comments - happy to see that you have enjoyed voting.

Class 88: To the best of our knowledge, this loco shares the same bodyshell, cab etc as the Class 68. As such, we would take it that it would 'spin off' from the current model. We only list 'variants' when there is significant new tooling involved (such as there would be with Caprotti Black 5s, Standard 5s, and the two remaining Class 42s).

Class 745/755: As noted in the text at the head of The Guide EMU category, we were going to list them but we didn't have a firm date by 'close for press day' as to when they would arrive here. We only list items that are here (if produced overseas) and are actually on test on the tracks.

Freight/Departmental: You are welcome to make suggestions for 2019, but we would appreciate a bit more info. If you base your suggestions on the Guide format (a clear heading; up to about six lines of text; a couple of links) then that would help us greatly. It is heartening that you think The Poll Team is somehow 'omnipotent' and all-knowing -  but we aren't. We need a little help sometimes to avoid any confusion.

Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Agree that the 88 is strange omission.

As for wagons - there are many types out there which make it difficult to list them all.

I's like to see the shortened HRA (from HTA) and the similar shorty IIA/HYA cutdowns for GBRf/Tarmac

Lots of bogie boxes - MMA/MXA/MWA etc.

Hello newbryford

My reply above applies - hope you can help.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

It's very difficult voting sometimes. After all, what am I doing, voting for Scottish rarities?

A bit too late to ask for a Taff Vale 04 in the ranks, but I'd be dead chuffed if an A class made it into the top 10. Niche with a capital 'N'..... Next year, perhaps. Pleased to see the Taff Vale Directors saloon back on the lists..  (It might be on 'your' list, it's on 'my' list).

L&BSCR mogul? Yes please! Yes, I know it's far, far away from Pontypridd, but sometimes, you've just got to have some of these things!

Well done poll team & associates; lots of work for 10 minutes of fun, and 2 years of froth.

Me? Off to vote for the Barry Railway M class, and the Pwllyrhebog incline locomotives..... 

Happy modelling,

Ian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Note to anyone considering suggestions for 2019

As noted in my post #8 above, we would welcome suggestions - but it would help us greatly if you would put them in Guide format, please:

Clear heading

About 100-200 words of text (just outline bullet points are fine - we'll sort out the editorial side)

One or two links (this really helps to ensure we are all on same hymn sheet)

Can I suggest they come to me as a PM or to The Poll Team email address? This will prevent this thread getting bogged down in 2019 detail.

Thanks

Thank you for the Wishlist Poll. A couple of suggestions:

1) A London and South Western Railway T1 0-4-4T. Please see page 164 of 'A Pictorial Record of Southern Locomotives by J.H. Russell.

2) Stephenson's 'Rocket.' with a set of coaches.

PS Just read your post above so I will email you.

Edited by Robin Brasher

G'day Brian,

Thank you and the team for setting up the poll this year. Also a big thanks for adding the Great Western articulated set to the passenger listing. I'll probably end up being the only person voting for it but it is nice that you listened to my previous suggestions. As they lasted for over thirty years it's a wonder more people haven't modelled them. I've always thought the set would make a great looking six coach service in roughly the same space as a normal length four coach set - just add one of the announced Dapol prairies and you're all set for you're suburban needs.

Dave R.

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Dave - much appreciated.

This is one of those items that we have managed to shoe-horn in now that we have a little more space. It was on the Agenda for 2017 but didn't get 'approved'. As it happens, the 2017 Poll didn't run - and 2018 has presented us with a better playing field.

So...you have arrived after a rather bumpy and delayed journey!

Brian

Well done to the Poll Team; the Guide has obviously been a labour of love.  I found it easy to use and vote. 

A notable omission in my view is the humble private owner coal wagon, like a Gloucester 6-planker, for example.

Numbering approximately half a million, not exactly rare or exotic.

Class 88: To the best of our knowledge, this loco shares the same bodyshell, cab etc as the Class 68. As such, we would take it that it would 'spin off' from the current model. We only list 'variants' when there is significant new tooling involved (such as there would be with Caprotti Black 5s, Standard 5s, and the two remaining Class 42s).

I wonder if  the OP Vulcan product fan  for http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/137121-conversion-of-a-Dapol-class-68-into-a-class-88-starting-with-body/ would agree, Having  photographed both 68 and 88 I agree the body shell is similar (apart from ventilation), as to the rest???

Paul

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/class68

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/class88

Edited by hmrspaul

• RMweb Gold

Well done to the Poll Team; the Guide has obviously been a labour of love.  I found it easy to use and vote. 

A notable omission in my view is the humble private owner coal wagon, like a Gloucester 6-planker, for example.

Numbering approximately half a million, not exactly rare or exotic.

Many thanks, Miss Prism - funnily enough, we already have it on the 'look at list'. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if  the OP Vulcan product fan  for http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/137121-conversion-of-a-Dapol-class-68-into-a-class-88-starting-with-body/ would agree, Having  photographed both 68 and 88 I agree the body shell is similar (apart from ventilation), as to the rest???

Paul

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/class68

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/class88

Thanks Paul

The Class 68 was announced a long while back. It was in the 2013 Poll but removed from 2014.

To the best of my knowledge, this is the first time a Class 88 has been suggested to us. If someone would like to write up some notes as per my post #11 we would be grateful.

• RMweb Gold

You can click 'full version' at the bottom of the mobile version to get the website in desktop format but a link has been posted now anyway =)

Thanks

Yes that is what I did.

I have now voted so many thanks to Andy and the poll team. Fingers crossed for a class 120 :)

• RMweb Gold

Hello BR Blue

The Class 120 has been within The Top 10 since 2013.

Thanks for raising the point about the link within the Q&A post - I was working on the basis that readers would see the banner headline, but I have learnt something for 2019!