The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Why I will be quiet and not posting

aberdare

There are times when I think to myself 'I wonder where old so and so went' when members I follow stop posting, this is now going to happen to me and as I have a few people who follow my modelling thread I thought I would take a little time to explain why without blocking up my that thread.

Those who have met me and many that haven't as well know that I care for my wife who has secondary progressive MS and I have disappeared for months at a time when things have got a bit difficult. Well now things are a lot worse as two days ago my wife (Linda) was diagnosed with Myeloid Leukemia after a long period of illness and will be undergoing high impact chemo in just under two weeks time, this has shocked us both as there were no signs of this at all until a bone marrow sample was taken.

So I shall be seen logging in to read PM's but not posting for the forseeable future until we hopefully come out he other side.

So that is why I have put this post up so that all those who follow my modelling ramblings are aware as to where and what I may be doing, at least I won't be one of those who seem to disappear without trace. Of course as one of life's optimists I hope to be modelling and posting again in the future as I don't wish my layout to be one of those great unfinished layouts of which I am sure there are many.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this and shall look forward to the day when I can once again follow the work of many of you and post progress of my own.

All the best.

Jim & Linda

Edited by aberdare
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

In 2012 when I went through tough times, this forum and its members kept me positive. I have every certainty the place can do the same for you. Tell us the good news, the bad news, the lows and the highs. We all recognise that there but for the grace of God, go we.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

All the best to you both, Jim. This year has been a trying one due to various severe family medical issues but I've found modelling one of the ways I've kept my head (just) above water, when

all else seems doom and gloom, so please find time to do a bit now and then, if you're able. By the way I'm posting from the "real" Aberdare so your posts always catch my eye.

• Like 2

Jim

I don't think we've ever contributed to the same threads, but .........

My partner was diagnosed with a very difficult-to-detect and rapid-progressing form of breast cancer in September, and is undergoing very arduous chemo.

Having laid-down all my paying work to be available to support her, and look after the children, I would say that RMWeb is a very good diversion, a way of maintaining contact with like-minded obsessives at a time when my usual outings to "play trains" with like-minded obsessives are very much curtailed.

Whether you decide to keep e-chatting about toy trains, or not, I sincerely hope it goes well for the both of you, Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer

Thank you all for the support shown for us both, Linda has been overwhelmed by the numbers seen on here from people who we do not know and it has helped put her mind in a better place, one of her concerns was who was going to support me and this has now been eased.

There have been a couple of low moments, one with medication that has now been resolved and the other concerning hair loss, for those that have met her you will know she has a lovely head of red hair that a lot of people comment on and the thought of losing that was hard to bear at first and more than a few tears were shed. This has now been discussed a lot over the last few days and we shall be off to look at wigs sometime next week and she seems to be much more accepting now, however when it does happen I'm sure we will see a few more tears.

Thank to those who have also shared their stories of fighting this disease and my thoughts and best wishes go out to you too. Just to pick one out I do remember seeing you Ian (Olddudders) posting all those years back when I was part of 'early risers' for a while when I first joined this forum, maybe it's time to think of doing that again.

Once again thank you all for the messages and support shown it is greatly appreciated by us both.

Jim & Linda

Jim - our thoughts are with you. My wife has secondary progressive MS too, and that is hard enough to have to deal with every day, every hour, every minute. But to have Leukemia on top of that must be a burden so great that I cannot even begin to imagine what you are both going though right now.

Sometimes, life just deals the most enormous blows, and there is no getting away from it. But life on here has a way of making it that tiniest tad better, as so many others have said. It puts life into perspective, in that the number of rivets on a particular loco does not seem as important as it might once have done, but it is fun having a debate about it anyway, for several precious minutes.

Very best wishes to both of you that all works out better than it sounds. 

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Gold

Wigs can be marvellous. Deb’s oncologist provided a number of suppliers, together with the recommendation that Deb get her - quite long - hair cut before chemo started. The shorter the hair, the less you might lose. The wig supplier was “just” a young lady hairdresser in a local village, who had a private area where wigs could be tried, with a range of hair colours and styles. A wig was made to suit, and Deb was very pleased with it. She looked smashing, actually. The wig now reposes in the costume department of Sherry’s local Am Dram company in Torbay.

The days of ridiculous and obvious “syrups” (of figs) are long gone.

• Like 3

Thoughts and best wishes to you both.

As others have said, the community here is a very supportive one - especially in times of need.

Wishing you and your wife the very best, and a positive outcome.

Regards

Scott

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Best wishes to you both, mum suffered from MS for thirty years but she fought and fought and lived well into fer seventies, I understand that you and your lady have even greater issues, I do do hope that you come out of the other side in a good situation.

The wig situation looks good, if it all works out please let me know...........I have the same hairstyle as AndyY :angel:

Regards and keep up those smiles......Rgds  Mike

• Like 5

Thank you for sharing your difficult news with us and I hope you and Linda will gain comfort from the warm responses already posted. It helps to hear from like minded folk who have often had similar experiences to what you are facing.

As already suggested, a short hairstyle is advisable and I wonder if a cold cap has been recommended to Linda as I believe that can help reduce hair loss.

We shall be thinking of you and hope you will post occasionally when you feel you can. My best wishes to you both.

• Like 4

Just caught the thread, Jim, as I also 'disappear' now and again looking after my wife (who has today just found out her illness has finally being recognised and incurable.)

Remember, Jim and Linda, you can be knocked sideways, but never backwards.  Just 'dust yourselves down'  and look forwards.

• 4 weeks later...

I would just like to take this chance to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, also to thank those that have posted since my previous post.

Just to update you all on events since then I will just outline the events of the last few weeks.

The Chemo should have started early December but was delayed due to concerns over how Linda would cope with the treatment and her MS, they advised her that it would be best not to proceed but for some reason did not contact her Consultant, we did that ourselves and his report basically said 'go for it', this resulted in the response of ' Oh, we'd better crack on then'. This we are now doing.

She is now over halfway through the first session and coping well with the side effects so far and has surprised them with her positive outlook, a long way to go yet though and more tough days ahead but she is up for the challenge.

Our thoughts are also with those out there and members of this forum who are going through the a similar fight.

Christmas for me will be in the hospital as usual, though not ideal it is necessary but we are both positive about the outcome and just hope that we are right to think that way.

All the best to everyone and I shall catch up with you all next year.

Bye for now

Jim & Linda.