The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

They seem to know when you have a bad day, I seem to have a lot. It's like a second sense. Being stuck in lockdown and shielding they have been a real comfort. When we have the log burner lit during the colder months all five stretch out line astern in front of it.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Lovely animals - I see that just like our cat (Ashley) they are not really enjoying the extreme heat- it can't be much fun wearing a fur coat!

Somewhere I remember reading a statement to the effect that 'there are two types of people in this world; Cat lovers, and the underprivileged.... 'another one is 'Dogs have Masters- Cats however have servants...'

Regards

Steve.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, sigtech said:

'another one is 'Dogs have Masters- Cats however have servants...'

Regards

Steve.

That is so true, if our cat Buttons is anything to go by.

ED1B85CE-CF91-490B-8094-17F56232C9FA.png.9775697f1ccf3e3cfa0c0507d870cda0.png

• Like 8
  • Agree 10

15 minutes ago, didcot said:

I love the icecream. 

Yes ours are all flopped out on the floor. I bought them a water fountain from Amazon. Cats are attracted to running water. It filters the water and is higher than a water bowl.

Pepper gets urine infections and regularly passes blood, so anything that makes her drink is worth it.

20200801_122317.jpg.b77a8d1d75481ae78655bf89cff5f1bb.jpg

Robbie is loving the pond for that reason, not sure the fish are over the moon about it though

20200804_181042.jpg

• Like 11
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

We are rather like you Jim except that no one wants to take on cats - there are enough around.  So we are effectively running a cat sanctuary.  Having picked up a kitten at the weekend we are now at 22 cats in the household.  The oldest is coming up 15 years the youngest around 6 weeks.  

We have discovered that a number of people in the village realising that we look after cats, will encourage any stray cat to go in our direction.  There is always access to food and water and so if they do not end up being too aggressive with the incumbents they will find a niche and settle in.  Best example of this was a couple of years ago when our neighbours who own a second home here asked us if the kitten they had been looking after for a few days was ours.  No.  Well he's there in your garden now.  We cannot look after him back in Paris, can you look after him?   So we agree.  Their neighbour from the other side then says, we had him for a few days before he went to the Parisiennes house.  I think I saw him with his brother.

3 days later this neighbour then comes up the drive with another bundle of fluff (his "brother") - You would not believe the trouble I have had catching him!  Thanks a bunch - said of course with a big smile.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Looks like he’s been on the steroids!!

as for bengals, we’ve had a couple of those stay through the rescue, a very vocal cat, one of them was with us as she was given as a gift to someone who didn’t want her!

• Like 3

Although I am a big dog lover (“Fie, get thee behind me, Satan!” I hear you cry), I also enjoy cats and cats put up with me.

Many years ago I was doing some theatre with a good friend of mine who is a cat owner (two rescue cats) My friend was acting as my assistant director and the play was set in Ancient Egypt. So, to say thank you to her for her work, after the show I bought her a life sized replica statue of Bast - the Egyptian Cat goddess.

To make a long story short, my friend later told me that she placed the cat-sized cat statue on top of one of her large hi-fi speakers. Of her two rescue cats, one completely avoided the statue; the second - after about half an hour of deliberation, - jumps on to the speaker and tries to out stare the statue! After about five minutes of ineffectual glaring, the real cat unsheathed her claws and gave the statue an almighty whack across the muzzle. Upon the absence of any kind of reaction from the statue, my friend said that her rescue cat gave a sort of a feline shrug, jumped off the speaker and completely and studiously ignored the statute from then on.

Finally, may I say “well done“ to Big Jim and Andy for opening their hearts and homes to so many cats.

I firmly believe that we have a moral duty of care to those animals that we have domesticated, especially the dog and the cat - without whom it is unlikely that man, as a species, would’ve done as well as it has done.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

We had one of our previous cats, the much-loved Lucy, for just under 17 years. She also was not allowed on the layout, having destroyed several Ratio signals, and eaten half of a plastic motorcycle plus the Merit school mistress.

She was very much a "people" cat, and greeted visitors at the door, and sat in the middles of meetings with lots of grumpy old men around demanding attention (model railway and model bus meetings).

cTv4G5f2_o.jpg

42x6Ttr3_o.jpg

LHIhYkfF_o.jpg

p.s. That was Lucy demanding attention, not the Grumpy Old Men, although some of us ... I mean, THEM ... also demand attention! :D

Edited by SRman
Postscript added
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2