Kernow Models Beattie Well Tank

Andy Y

The latest CAD images of the LSWR (SR) Beattie Well Tank 2-4-0WT in OO gauge commissioned by Kernow Model Rail Centre from Dapol have arrived on the desk.

30585a.jpg

30585b.jpg

30586a.jpg

30586b.jpg

30587a.jpg

30587b.jpg

Each model is £89.99 and may be pre-ordered on Kernow's web site from the following links.

K2051 number 30587 in BR Black with early emblem

K2052 number 30586 in BR Black with early emblem

K2053 number 30585 in BR Black with late crest

It is anticipated that a pre-production version will be on display on 4/5 September at the Kernow Model Railway Exhibition 2010 with the finished model available shortly after.

Around two-thirds of the above releases are sold already.

'We will release a special newsletter on Wednesday 9th June with a long-awaited announcement.'

More froth over the weekend then folks :lol:

laugh.gif

I've got that one queued up for Wednesday too. ;)

• RMweb Premium

The well tanks look superb from the detail on the CAD-CAMs. Not only are the splashers correct for each one but the differences in handrails and rivets are accurately represented. That should keep even the die-hard rivet-counters happy! I've had one of each on order from the day the books opened and am seriously looking forward to them toying with a couple of wagons in the yard and even the occasional foray onto the main line.

I believe Kernow has tried hard to get the well tanks ready in time for pre-order collection from their September show but it seems the production time may cause that to slip just by a few days or weeks. At least having painted samples would go a long way to cover any disappointment the delay will cause but in my opinion the long wait will have been well worthwhile.

I am also well aware of the content of the announcement lined up for Wednesday (as I'm sure many of us are) though of course would never ever consider dropping in any spoilers. I was actually instrumental in having it removed from a website last week where it appeared too soon. Be online this Wednesday if you don't want to miss out.

• RMweb Gold

I am also well aware of the content of the announcement lined up for Wednesday (as I'm sure many of us are) though of course would never ever consider dropping in any spoilers. I was actually instrumental in having it removed from a website last week where it appeared too soon. Be online this Wednesday if you don't want to miss out.

I'm quite happy to wait - as long as Chris was listening carefully when I told him which one I want (first ;)).

The well tank looks great in the CAD views and if it lives up to that in the metal/plastic it is going to be a smashing little job, albeit not one that suits my interests (but perhaps its successors might also come along one day?).

It looks terrific. I'll bide my time for an SR livery. Surely they'll make one, one day?

I somehow don't think that'll be an option. This is a limited edition, a one off. Even though they have the moulds they'd not spoil their market by offering alternatives now. If they did they'd devalue every other limited edition they offer in the future.

Of course I have absoutely no knowledge of the company or their intentions, just loooking at the economics of limited editions and the market. That they have sold ONLY 2/3 already is an indication of the marketplace in which they survive.

If you want one and don't buy now then you'll be paying inflated prices in eBay in a few years time.

I have not ordered - if I could afford I would purely because they look great, but I still have a layout to build in P4, so that's where the money's going.

Only one problem I see with that Beattie - it's the wrong scale, should be 2mm not 4mm. :(

Maybe Dapol have a plan.

They have most of mechanical bits for a 2mm one if they can work out how to fit the bits in. Squashing a mechanism into anything but the one with raised side tanks is going to be fun though.

I shall watch what Dapol do with interest. In the mean time I've discovered that I can get a Nigel Lawton micromotor down an 8mm boiler and have been sketching up a backup plan ;)

Alan

The well tanks look superb from the detail on the CAD-CAMs. Not only are the splashers correct for each one but the differences in handrails and rivets are accurately represented. That should keep even the die-hard rivet-counters happy! I've had one of each on order from the day the books opened and am seriously looking forward to them toying with a couple of wagons in the yard and even the occasional foray onto the main line.

What is that extra pipe above the right hand handrail on 30585? Seems to be unique to that loco....

Norm

I understand the Southern livery for the well tanks by the 1930's was black. The only problem will b scrapping those @#$%& BR number plates off the smokebox door. These should always be a separate item. I have removed a lot of BR emblems to return locomotives to their true heritage.

Guest dilbert

I understand the Southern livery for the well tanks by the 1930's was black. The only problem will b scrapping those @#$%& BR number plates off the smokebox door. These should always be a separate item. I have removed a lot of BR emblems to return locomotives to their true heritage.

A very pertinent comment - keeps the needle and thread at bay...dilbert

• RMweb Premium
Squashing a mechanism into anything but the one with raised side tanks is going to be fun though.

30586 does not have raised side tanks, it has (or rather had, as it is the only one of this trio to have not survived) square shaped splashers. All three are well tanks ;)

that extra pipe above the right hand handrail on 30585?

I have been looking at the issue of that extra pipework down the starboard side of 30585. All three locos were always somewhat different due to the long intervals between works visits and this would be one of the modifications which only this loco received. It seems to go through to the smokebox so might be a steam pipe to help with the draughting in some way. I'm sure one of the standard texts will explain all but I don't have the inclination, at 4am Sunday, to start extensive research - sorry!

After looking at the cad models I'm very disappointed if this is what they will use to make the model from as the attention to detail is very poor the biggest mistake being the buffers should the rear buffers be at a different vertical height to the front ones?

Pete

After looking at the cad models I'm very disappointed if this is what they will use to make the model from as the attention to detail is very poor the biggest mistake being the buffers should the rear buffers be at a different vertical height to the front ones?

Pete

Hello Pete, I can't vouch for any of the other details, but it looks like the buffer centrelines are indeed different, front & back - see: http://commons.wikim...Well_Tank_3.jpg.

Kevin

Having looked through various books, 30585 and 30586 definitely have buffers at different heights. 30587 appears to have the rear buffers mounted a bit higher on the buffer beam, but still not at exactly the same height as the front buffers. I am sure Kernow will put this right if the tooling allows it after they have clearly gone to such efforts to get rivets right on all three!

The extra bit on 30585 looks like a handrail, although why it is there is a mystery.

• RMweb Gold

The thing about these particular locomotives is that they have so many detail differences that one might call them seperate classes. I am sure that Kernow will ensure that their models are right and copy these detail differences.

This is a limited edition, a one off. Even though they have the moulds they'd not spoil their market by offering alternatives now. If they did they'd devalue every other limited edition they offer in the future.

[...]

If you want one and don't buy now then you'll be paying inflated prices in eBay in a few years time.

I thought this was a model that was limited by being exclusive to them, rather than limited in the sense of the one issue. Indeed, on the their webpage they say "At present three models are proposed:", which suggests later runs are a possibility (presumably subject to the model being a success).

• RMweb Premium

We cannot of course predict the future and it might be that at a future time there could be further issues of the well tanks in older liveries. Whether adjustment of the tooling to also take account of physical differences appropriate to those eras would be possible might also be a factor.

I would suggest that with â…” of the announced runs already pre-sold that the model would be considered a success already. But would Kernow - with a developing reputation for their commissions - want to keep it in the current catalogue at the expense of something new? That is their business decision.

• RMweb Premium

I don't think 30586 (the only one with square splashers) ever wore "late BR" livery; it was withdrawn wearing the cycling lion. Of course we all have a modeller's licence so if you choose to disregard absolute reality anything can become possible.

Archived