Kernow Models Beattie Well Tank

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

I know Kernow has tried very hard to get these models out for launch at their show but sometimes external events conspire to prevent such deadlines being met. Notwithstanding any disappointment that might cause Kernow has assured us they have not one but three new announcements lined up for the show so it promises to be one of the more interesting events this year Beattie or no Beattie.

A couple of other observations no one else appears to have mentioned (happy to be corrected) and which I have only just noticed (and emailed Dapol).

The slide bar bracket holding the rear ends of the slide bars is not modelled (completely absent from the CAD, seems rather strange)

I've already mentioned the gap between the front wheel and axle box, and suggested a longer axle, however I've now just realised that only the front of the axle box is modelled, the main body of the axle box, spanning the depth of the spring (as opposed to just the 'brass' cover) is also omitted. Were it included, the gap between axle box and wheel would be the normal 1mm or so 00 discrepency.

Hopefully not to late for final tweaks?

(rivit counting extreme I know – but the rest of the model looks so good....)

HI

Just had a look at the Cad again and photo and you are right about the slide bar bracket is missing, i hope they take on board what you have said and that it will be on the Final model ,as i have one on orderohmy.gif

Darren

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all, I've posted some photos of the real 30585 and 30587 in my gallery here hopefully some of these will be useful when the Kernow model comes out. Note: the photo of the BWT coupled to a T9 does show the difference in buffer height.

As ever at Bodmin, the sun was always in the wrong direction....

I went to the Kenew show this weekend and saw the mock up of the BWT ,looking very good .

But i do hope they put on the slide bar bracket, it would be a shame if it is left off.

But i still want the BWT, as it is just a fine looking loco, pulling clay trucks....MMmmmmmm

• RMweb Premium

I went to the Kenew show this weekend and saw the mock up of the BWT ,looking very good .

But i do hope they put on the slide bar bracket, it would be a shame if it is left off.

But i still want the BWT, as it is just a fine looking loco, pulling clay trucks....MMmmmmmm

Lucky so and so!! I was working in Devon late last week but had to return home for the weekend. Bumped into Muz and Mike Wild on Friday though travelling to the Kernow show. The main thing for me is that the mock up does look like a BWT. With or without slide bar bracket my order still stands - making and adding one small part is much easier than trying to get a whole kit to work well :lol: . I agree it would be a pity if the bracket was omitted though.

Lucky so and so!! I was working in Devon late last week but had to return home for the weekend. Bumped into Muz and Mike Wild on Friday though travelling to the Kernow show. The main thing for me is that the mock up does look like a BWT. With or without slide bar bracket my order still stands - making and adding one small part is much easier than trying to get a whole kit to work well :lol: . I agree it would be a pity if the bracket was omitted though.

Agreed about the bracket, not major, and easy to fabricate out of brass or plasticard, paint black, glue on.

Are there any pictures of the chassis - the pics on the Kernow thread appear to show mockup without axles/wheel centres (therfore I guess no proper chassis).

Having previously been critical of the boiler daylight issue, I'd like to point out that the vertical 'wall' at the bottom of the boiler looks to have been moved back, thereby is lower, and will be pretty well hidden behind the spring. Well done Dapol/Kernow. BIG improvement on the CAD images

But it is a shame that, given the terrier had boiler daylight and its 20 odd years old...

• 4 weeks later...

Good question - wasn't it supposed to be out in early September ?

To answer my own question - to quote Kernow's site "Pre-production models of this locomotive have recently been received and are being checked with the finished model due during November / December 2010."

Dave

• RMweb Premium

My understanding is that it had always been hoped that the models could have been available for purchase (or collection) at the KMRC / YMR show on 4th / 5th September but that this might always have been an ambitious deadline. Kernow have pulled out a lot of stops to get this so far as they have and with Dapol no doubt also burning some late night oil for their part as well. Considering the delay we sometimes encounter from other majors in getting a product to the shelves - and disregarding for a moment that this is a special commission as well - then all parties are doing well to have an expected delivery date only a few weeks later than first hoped.

• RMweb Gold

Kernow have now a further batch of preproduction samples, pictures of which I have seen and will be feeding back comments etc. to Kernow on, but do not have permission to post here (although they may / no doubt will, end up on the web elseware). These do still omit the slide bar bracket but I have been advised that this is one item that will be corrected before production commences.

• RMweb Premium

Kernow have now a further batch of preproduction samples, pictures of which I have seen and will be feeding back comments etc. to Kernow on, but do not have permission to post here (although they may / no doubt will, end up on the web elseware). These do still omit the slide bar bracket but I have been advised that this is one item that will be corrected before production commences.

Good news thanks. All that remains now is getting the buffer beam heights the same..... :P :lol:

Oh no, there appears to be a number plate on the smokebox door..... hope this is just stuck on and not a part of the casting. I hate to have to grind the number plates off locomotives with no pre-BR versions when I backdate them to my own timeframe which ends on January 1, 1948.

I am not a 00 modeller but very familiar with Beattie Well Tank 30585 from my many visits to Quainton Road over the years. This model looks absolutely superb to me and from my recollections of the Beattie captures the look of the loco very well indeed. It is no surprise that preorders have been so strong.

Accepting that the pics are presumably of test-shots and with blackened motion it may not show quite so much, my only observation, as for the Dapol N Gauge Britannia is to wonder why the decision was made to use those comparatively large crosshead screws to retain the motion as opposed to something more prototypical?

Roy

• RMweb Premium
to wonder why the decision was made to use those comparatively large crosshead screws to retain the motion as opposed to something more prototypical?

Indeed. I have posed that very question to Kernow as a result of those images being posted and await their comment but Dapol Dave might be able to make his own response here as well. If they arrive looking like Beattie used Phillips Motion Screws then I might need to deploy the Milliput .....

..... though it won't affect the pre-order for one of each :)

Wish I could have my order one of each delivered unpainted. I know they were painted black from 1935 on, but does anyone know how they were lettered for the Southern and where the numbers were on the 0298 class BWT's.

And I am still hoping that the number plate is not cast into the smoke box door.

best

I do wish that when new product shots are issued (by all mfg/commissioners) that they ensure the body is fitted to the chassis correctly and that wheels are on the rails etc, because if, note, if, that is the model correctly assembled to be supplied, the footplate is far higher at the front than at the rear of the loco. :(

Well spotted and good statement.

The cylinders are distinctly not in line with the running plate, and the front buffer beam is too high (even accounting for the height discrepancy 'twix front and back with the prototype). One hopes the production models will be properly fitted...! If it is properly fitted in the picture, I'm worried (in a model railway sense of the term worry, rather than a life sense!)

Other than that (and my ongoing minor quibble about the lack of pony axle box behind the modelled axle box COVER, and the already addressed slide bar), drooooool!!

• RMweb Gold

I now have permission from Chris Trerise of Kernow to post these images.

There are a number of known issues to be corrected at this stage and the chassis is still not a full mechanically working sample (hence the slight discrepancy in the way in which the body currently sits on the model). I am sure it is better for us all, who are actually looking at purchasing these modesl, to have the opportunity to see these images at this stage and accept that they are what they are which is pre-productiuon samples, that in most cases will allow constructive comment to be made.

I have already mentioned that I am reliably inofrmed that the missing slide bar bracket will be present as will the missing front frames ahead of the front axle and the front axle spring located above the running plate along with some other detail amnendments that I wont go into a full list of here. As I stated above the chassis is not yet a fully working mechanical sampe and items such as the fixing screws for the connecting rods are also being reviewed.

It should also be noted that these images are very much enlargements as the model itself is only just over three inches long!

post-243-029057400 1287387536_thumb.jpg

post-243-012569000 1287387540_thumb.jpg

post-243-099296000 1287387543_thumb.jpg

post-243-028924100 1287387548_thumb.jpg

post-243-017843700 1287387552_thumb.jpg

post-243-053998300 1287387532_thumb.jpg

Archived