Kernow Models Beattie Well Tank

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

& if Dapal do that then they will be complaned at for getting the model wrong

I was thinking that myself. I'd prefer it if they produced a model that was just like the prototype - even though it's an odd prototype. If the buffers are different heights - so be it. It must be remembered though that the Beatties were real OAPs and had seen many changes over the years. A bit of oddness has to be expected ;)

....I'm not sure that people are quite appreciating just how small the Beattie Well Tank is. ....

As an aside, the instructions on my Westward kit for the Beattie Well Tank say that a Portescap RG4-1219 can be squeezed in, but that you may have to hack out more space inside.....which potentially could lead to weakness in the body structure.

That is the thing with engines designed / built in the Victorian / Edwardian era. It will always be a challenge to squeeze an effective drivetrain into them. I am still trying to think my way around the available kits for the SECR "C" and "O1", both of which concede very little ground to those who want to keep the motor in the engine portion. I've found a 12mm dia Mashima "can" to be a very tight fit. You are arguably better off working out your own custom gear-train from scratch, although in this day and age High Level may well have something suitable that will fit.

The SECR "C" in particular is not exactly P4-friendly to build, despite having been revamped by SEF in the late 1980s. The alternative Branchlines chassis for it does cater for P4 but becomes quite weak along its topline if you install compensation or springs.

The Branchlines "O1" is similarly unfriendly, mainly because of the idiosyncratic design of its footplate (whitemetal halves which you have to solder together and then hack a hole out of for any motor / gearbox; and good luck to ye!), and the distinctly oval boiler casting, not to mention the comedy use of whitemetal outside tender frames which you are expected to solder to an etched footplate. Why? Wouldn't an all etched structure have worked?

At this point, I detect that I have gone off on a rant. I'll stop there.

• RMweb Gold

It must be remembered though that the Beatties were real OAPs and had seen many changes over the years. A bit of oddness has to be expected ;)

And I'd swear that it's that "oddness" that is selling the 0298 to a great many modellers who would otherwise have no interest in an elderly 2-4-0WT, especially one with LSWR origins! Their anachronistic appearance, and capable work on the Wenfordbridge branch so late in their lives, is real old railway derring do. The model is unlikely to pull very much - but then neither does Hornby's M7 out of the box, and they've clearly sold well. I can't see many sitting at Kernow for long after release.

& if Dapal do that then they will be complaned at for getting the model wrong

I take your point, Moz, but I don't recall any model railway mag even mentioning correct buffer height before on any models, so I can't see a great uproar starting now.

I take your point, Moz, but I don't recall any model railway mag even mentioning correct buffer height before on any models, so I can't see a great uproar starting now.

I think Model rail did with the Bachmann revamped standared the also hormby did as the old model had is buffer in the right place but the revamp did not

• 2 weeks later...

Strangley enough Chris I can confirm that the well tank was indeed at Salisbury shed.

Not so strange surely? Barring the railtours they did in later life, they seem to have trotted up to Eastleigh for overhaul , etc. fairly frequently. I've seen several pictures over the years of one or more parked outside Yeovil Town shed which was presumably a convenient staging post.

Adam

• RMweb Premium

Not so strange surely? Barring the railtours they did in later life, they seem to have trotted up to Eastleigh for overhaul , etc. fairly frequently. I've seen several pictures over the years of one or more parked outside Yeovil Town shed which was presumably a convenient staging post.

Adam

"Strange" because Graham has built a model based on the shed. I had wondered if it was this location and Graham if anyone, would be the man to confirm it. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know which of the variants are nearest (or most easily converted to) to LSWR original?

All three are virtually equally distant from the original build standard.

The chassis is passably similar, but from the footplate upwards they were very much different.

In particular, the original had an open cab, which might be incompatible with the Dapol model.

One question though. If you could successfully re-engineer the model to original standard, have you any plans for contemporary rolling stock?

Hth

PB

• RMweb Premium

They've also been to Ropley and Alresford......

Itchen Abbass, Winchester City, Shawford , Eastleigh, Swaything, St. Denys, Northam and Southampton Terminus.

Uh-oh. I've been listening to the old BR announcer at Alton too often and the record's stuck in the groove B)

The time is getting closer. Still no guarantees these will be out in time for the big Kernow show on 4th / 5th September but I'm sure they have a lot of fingers and toes crossed between Wrexham and Camborne!

HI all

I spoke to the very nice chap at Kernow models the other day, about ordering a class 22.

As I have a Beattie Well Tank on order I asked if it would be out as planed and was told YES!!!! biggrin.gif

smashing news Darren. Probably been looking forward to these more than i did the t9 and maunsells.

Finally bit the bullet/succumbed ot fear of a sell out, and ordered 30587 (to complement my other NRM locos). Nice chat on phone to KMRC, about 75% of the entire run of the three models sold on pre-order. Fears well founded. This one's going to fly.

I don't know if this has been discussed,but do we know which loco they scanned: my guess is 585 since 587 has a bent running plate (an aside, do we know why it wasn't fixed at overhaul. Assume its only cosmetic, or is the entire chassis twisted?), but any accurate gen on which loco was scanned?

• RMweb Premium

Was planning to pick the one I have ordered up at the Kernow Show in September, but Kernow now tell me that it is very unlikely to be ready until October, but they may have a preprod to view at the show.

Archived