GWR 'Loriot Y'

rapidoandy

Rapido Trains UK is to produce one of Britain’s most enigmatic railway wagons, an inadvertent film star whose history still remains a little cloudy.

683143778_LoroitY.jpg.f0dc0c7ecac503a05a142e1f59bf66d1.jpg

The GWR allocated the code ‘Loriot’ to flat wagons designed to move earth moving and plant machinery. The first appeared in 1892 and a family look soon evolved, with the wagon’s deck angled upwards at each end to clear the axles.

One new ‘Loriot’ was built in 1937. It was built to Diagram G39 and coded ‘Loriot Y’. But it didn’t look like the rest of the ‘Loriot’ family.

Originally, the GWR considered it to be an addition to its ‘Loriot W’ fleet. However, it was built from assembled ‘I’ beam girders rather than rolled beams, a feature first used on the ‘Crocodile’ bogie well wagons of 1908. Consequently, it was re-classified ‘Loriot Y’. A second ‘Loriot Y’ was built in 1939.

Both were painted with instructions that, when empty, they must be returned to Swindon. They would have run over large areas of the GWR’s network, moving excavators and other plant, particularly during the Second World War.

However, records for these two vehicles are few and far between. No. 41989 found fame when it starred in The Titfield Thunderbolt, where it was pressed into service to carry Dan’s house. It is believed to have been scrapped not long after the filming in 1953.

Sister ‘Loriot Y’ No. 41990 fared better. It remained in revenue-earning service until at least 1990 at Radyr Engineers Yard. Eventually, as DW41990 (coded ‘ZXP’ on TOPS), it moved to Bescot from where it was condemned in 1994. Saved at the 11th hour, it moved to the Severn Valley Railway where it remains to this day.

RRP for each version is £39.95. Models are available to pre-order direct from us at www.rapidotrains.co.uk or from any Official Retailer.

IMG_4216.JPG.d5e30511e86e9dfc9231aab8bd6fe3a8.JPG

Edited by rapidoandy
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

And which livery will it be in please?  (hopefully departmental black early 1960s condition -  just a mild hint, to save having to repaint it)

Did you ever see one in use Mike .

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Did you ever see one in use Mike .

I must have seen the Radyr one on quite a few occasions Rob as it lived within about 200 yards of my office at one time :D   Loriots of a different version were in regular use in Engineer's trains to carry Traxcavators which were far easier to get off a low platform wagon at sites but I don't think this one was used for that purpose as Radyr was a PAD (Pre Assembly Depot for track).  I v certainly can't recall ever seeing a Loriot in use for commercial traffic.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I must have seen the Radyr one on quite a few occasions Rob as it lived within about 200 yards of my office at one time :D   Loriots of a different version were in regular use in Engineer's trains to carry Traxcavators which were far easier to get off a low platform wagon at sites but I don't think this one was used for that purpose as Radyr was a PAD (Pre Assembly Depot for track).  I v certainly can't recall ever seeing a Loriot in use for commercial traffic.

Strangely, despite visiting Radyr on several occasions through the 1980s I have no recollection or record of this wagon being there. Admittedly the PAD side of the yard could be a bit touchy about access but it still seems odd. So lucky to find it at Bescot on a very rare and quick visit, on my way home from GoG Telford - permission given by a guy washing his car!

Paul

• Like 2

16 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

And which livery will it be in please?  (hopefully departmental black early 1960s condition -  just a mild hint, to save having to repaint it)

The key question is - does anyone have any evidence the vehicle carried this livery? Photos are very few and far between and some anecdotal evidence suggests that it only ever wore its grey livery. Likewise the SVR have said that during the restorations they found no trace of black. 

Andy

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

The key question is - does anyone have any evidence the vehicle carried this livery? Photos are very few and far between and some anecdotal evidence suggests that it only ever wore its grey livery. Likewise the SVR have said that during the restorations they found no trace of black. 

Andy

Hi Andy

So I guess perhaps I should go back to the original question as the ‘Loriot Y’ Machinery Truck No. DW41990 can be preordered but no details on the livery or period. Or is this still up for grabs?

52 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

Hi Andy

So I guess perhaps I should go back to the original question as the ‘Loriot Y’ Machinery Truck No. DW41990 can be preordered but no details on the livery or period. Or is this still up for grabs?

It would make sense for one of the pair - 41989 to be finished in GWR condition and maybe also with BR early markings, then 41990 in GWR, early BR and late BR condition.  I am sure enough will buy it - myself certainly. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Andy

That's interesting Andy.  As a departmental vehicle on the WR it would have been very unusual for it to be in anything other than black for at least part of its life unless it was never repainted from GWR days (which might indeed have been the case).

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Hi Andy

This one will be produced in the livery it was seen in during the early 1990's prior to preservation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

That's interesting Andy.  As a departmental vehicle on the WR it would have been very unusual for it to be in anything other than black for at least part of its life unless it was never repainted from GWR days (which might indeed have been the case).

I am leaning towards it not ever receiving a repaint. Again evidence from the filmmakers suggest that the other one was in GW livery when they repainted it for the film and we believe it was scrapped soon after. The other vehicle seems to have just survived out of usefulness, and other than gaining a vac through pipe does not seem to have go a lot of attention. I would love to see a photo and know otherwise!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'd love to see a photo of the underside of the Loriot Y, if that's possible, please.  You can see that there are various steel sections that disappear under the deck, but you can't see what they do or how much there is.  Also presumably there are brake pipes?  It would be interesting to see, even if we won't be able to see these aspects when the Loriot is in normal use on track.

John S

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, it's-er said:

I'd love to see a photo of the underside of the Loriot Y, if that's possible, please.  

Absolutely and if the detail being shewn on their ferry wagon is something to go on then these will be magnificent.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Please remember this photo shows the model "as received" from China. 

Here is the underside of the Loriot. The underside frame sections are metal - its the only place we can get some weight in!

As built it was an unfitted vehicle but later (possibly) gained some through pipes. Sadly there isn't enough space to get these underneath,

IMG_3036.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Here is the underside of the Loriot. The underside frame sections are metal - its the only place we can get some weight in!

How much does it weigh?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

As built it was an unfitted vehicle but later (possibly) gained some through pipes. Sadly there isn't enough space to get these underneath,

My photos clearly show it had through pipes. But, both of mine are the same side. Do you have photos of the other side after pipes were fitted? It is possible (emphasise possible I don't know] the pipe ran along the solebar on one side. This is how many low slung wagons had pipes fitted when there wasn't suitable space underneath. 

Paul

• Like 1

On 27/05/2022 at 19:24, hmrspaul said:

Thanks Paul.  I was going to try and ignore this one, but as you have pointed out evidence of it at Bescot I will have to order one.

As always thanks for taking all those useful photos back in the day !!!

• Like 1