Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

If the Bench is anything like it used to be, said recidivist should have achieved the same success defending himself, so I'd remove that notch from your bed post :D

If my experience is anything to go by, things have changed rather drastically. Professional ethics do not allow me to say more than that.

Can I just add (surreally), Blackcurrant and Apple.

Sorry but what I miss most about living in England are Country Pubs, Bitter and Pies (you cannot get decent meat pies in the 'States, actually indecent ones are just as rare).

Layout coming on a treat, Gilbert!

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

............. I travel an hour each way every day from Rural Cheshire to work in Bootle. The contrast between the two places couldnt be greater! .......

Better (perhaps) to say," the contrast between the two couldn't be starker ".

Perhaps you were educated in Rural Runcorn :biggrin_mini2:

• RMweb Premium

I'm with you Gilbert. Lyons individual pies. The apple ones in green boxes, had a few of those in my school lunch box and spotting rucksack.

OK Chaps. Hales were taken over by Lyons in 1974, (ta Google) so I, being a very old f**t, would have enjoyed Hales Individual Fruit Pies during my early spotting days in the far west country and once even as far north as York.

Change of subject; any of you fellows going to the Donny Show? If so come and wake me up at the Comet Models Stand. I'm not the one called Geoff; he is the kind & intelligent one with a sophisticated look, stays awake all day, rarely sitting down and is always able to answer customer questions with authority. Deduce whatever you want from that about my character, ability to remain upright and display customer service skills :scratchhead:

P @ 36E

• RMweb Premium

Trying to get my head round that as I was having Lyons fruit pies from '54 onwards, so they must have had their own pies long before the take over of Hales in '74.

Apologies for the diversion, Gilbert.

No worries Gordon - I was thinking exactly the same. My memory definitely says Lyons. Perhaps it was a regional thing?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another gorgeous day, though last night wasn't so good. Chores done early, and off to run more trains, and take some more photos for those who seem to like their regular fix. Again, the whole thing runs silky smooth, though I do seem to have one little peculiar DCC problem....

We shall start with the early arrival from March. All the others from there terminated at East station, but for some reason this one came up to North. Never mind, as it's another opportunity to run a B17. Doncaster Rovers today, standing in a shaft of sunlight, which also shows the lovely detail of Gravy Train's buildings, and in particular that fountain.

post-98-0-80093900-1328455545_thumb.jpg

And I couldn't resist a closer shot.

post-98-0-21810300-1328455621_thumb.jpg

Next we have an overnight Newcastle - KX parcels, which has just changed engines at New England. Despite having about 30 V2's on the books, this K3 is apparently the best that could be found this morning. She is on the Up slow, having just blocked both main lines at the North end.

post-98-0-60695200-1328455819_thumb.jpg

Now she has to get back to the Up main, and here she starts the process.

post-98-0-15273700-1328455884_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-35769600-1328455984_thumb.jpg

Now we can see why the train is on the Up slow - the Up platform line is occupied by a terminating M&GN local.

post-98-0-51603000-1328456114_thumb.jpg

And as the K3 is about to come under Crescent Bridge, she is also about to run, albeit not for long, wrong line on the Down main. She can then either rejoin the Up main or the slow line, which started South of Crescent Bridge, having blocked the ECML completely twice within half a mile. It's amazing that nothing was done about this for such a long time.

post-98-0-76569100-1328456396_thumb.jpg

Last one of this train, just to show that back lit shots are occasionally possible.

post-98-0-96270900-1328456492_thumb.jpg

I do try to find some different angles folks. This is taken from what will be the Up dock platform.

post-98-0-49724100-1328456675_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-88756400-1328456750_thumb.jpg

This is the view from my layout room window today. I really am a very lucky old sod.

post-98-0-90034200-1328456880_thumb.jpg

That's what you get for gazing out of windows. We nearly missed the Down Fair Maid, behind Top link A4 Wild Swan. We shall follow her stately progress through the station.

post-98-0-63237500-1328457020_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-72430300-1328457088_thumb.jpg

She is now passing the Up carriage sidings, into which the engines of arrivals from Kings Lynn and Grimsby have reversed their empty coaching stock, sadly without any change of headcodes.

post-98-0-32880700-1328457272_thumb.jpg

Let's have a black and white moment.

post-98-0-43772200-1328457356_thumb.jpg

And finally the driver of the A4 can get ready to open the regulator as he has nearly reached the end of the 20mph PSR, and will leave behind a fairly well occupied station area.

This bumper edition might have been brough to you by the manufacturers of Lyons Individual pies.....or should that be Hales???

• Like 17

Oh Gilbert, definitely the best lot of photos of your layout so far, that last one reminds me of footage I've seen showing two King's Cross locos departing towards Gas Work Tunnels.

I have to ask, the photo of the A4 coming under the bridge, that does look like steam coming from the drain cocks! :O

• Like 1

I agree best pictures so far, the best being the last one . So full of atmosphere. :locomotive:

As for pies as a little un :O I have fond memories of Sainsburys Individual square ones in Blackcurrant flavour SUPERB :boast:

Edited by micklner
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh Gilbert, definitely the best lot of photos of your layout so far, that last one reminds me of footage I've seen showing two King's Cross locos departing towards Gas Work Tunnels.

I have to ask, the photo of the A4 coming under the bridge, that does look like steam coming from the drain cocks! :O

Nice trick of the light Tom. I noticed it too, but its nothing to do with me- definitely not a live steam A4.

• RMweb Premium

The layout outside of your home is neat too, and that shelter where neibours can sit and chat. Is the K3 2-6-0 kitbuilt of a Bachmann Gilbert?

Standard Bachmann Larry, and a good runner too. We have a number of these shelters - gazebos is the technical name. They were supposed to be listed buildings, but now we are told they aren't. B***** squirrells keep breaking into the roof, which does them no good at all. Mind you my.22 does the rodents no good at all either. It's interesting that some of my neighbours who were at first horrified at my shooting the "darling little things" now encourage me, and others to cull them. They really are just destructive pests.

• Like 2

Ah... That happened on a couple of mine. I drilled out a tiny hole and then poked .33 handrail wire in then cut to length. The top ones are very vulnerable!

Edited by davidw
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My mate used to dipsose of them via a water barrel, until the neighbours sent round the RSPCA

take care

Thanks Mick, I know about that case. The law is a bit stupid really. Squirrels are classified as vermin, so its OK to kill them. In fact if you catch one it's a criminal offence to release it! What you mustn't do is cause unnecessary suffering, which is why my gun is fitted with a good quality telescopic sight. I don't want them to suffer, which may sound strange, but there it is.

• RMweb Premium

I have an image of G N Gilbert, the local shootist, rounding up squirrals for the pot. Hope they don't get a taste for baseboards... :hunter:

Oh and thanks for the info on the K3. Looks like I aughta round one up from Bachmann.

I wouldn't fancy eating one Larry. :no: A squirrel that is, not a K3. If you are thinking of getting one of those I think it would be wise to see it test run first, as another of mine was awful. I've talked to other people too who have had a bad one, so do check.

Hi Gilbert

Very nice set of photos.

Regarding broken Lamp Irons, I have had quite a few break usually through inserting and removing Springside Lamps or headboards.

I use ordinary metal staples cut down to the same size as the plastic ones that come on the loco.

I have tried different ways to fit them on A4's, and found the best method is to cut a very small groove in the loco body work with a mini drill, if the original lamp iron comes away clean you will see there is already a small groove cut out in the A4 loco body. Just apply a small amount of either Super Glue or Araldite to the bottom edge of the staple right angle and set it in place.

With A1's, A2's and A3's they are much easier to fit.

Once set you can fit lamps or head boards on with no problems.

When painted black they look just like the originals ones fitted.

You just have to choose the correct size staple in the first place, a size 23 or 24 staple usually fits OK.

Regards

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good grief Gilbert. Do you really use that rifle from your window(s)? I hope not as you could get into deep s**t with the firearms boys in black(blue). Even 'discharging' the thing in that park could bring in the heavy brigade. Apologies - I'm just concerned for your welfare.

I'd better not make any rude comments about any of your posts or even ask if Lyons IFPs were round or square?

Hales were, in my groggy memory, square and probably smaller than Lyons. They were probably also less expensive than Lyons :nono: ?

Now, who remebers those machines on the platform with which you could 'stamp' out something on an aliminium strip?

I've still got my Isambard Kingdom Brunel 5069 somewhere.

Also, milk dispensers (milk in a carton similar to the modern tetrapack), pre empting fizzy stuff?

Frys Choccy machines (seen those modelled - did Merit do a plastic one)?

Display case with religious message (sometimes a Bible open at a page for reference :angel: ); never seen that modelled?

I should imagine 'borough North would need all of these, especially the latter :sungum: .

Wish I'd bothered to take more notice of stuff like that when I were a nipper, (or maybe even take a pic of some), but all I wanted to see were the loco's.

Superb pics again.

Sincerely, P @ 36E

• Like 1