Peterborough North

great northern

Yes, I know what you mean Gilbert, each to his own.

I've always been MORE interested in the "odd" locos, the one-offs, so 60700 and 60097 would be high on my list.

• Like 1

Guest Tom F

Yes, I know what you mean Gilbert, each to his own.

I've always been MORE interested in the "odd" locos, the one-offs, so 60700 and 60097 would be high on my list.

and not forgetting 60113...... :tomato:

Meant to write express - doh! Wheres the embaressed smiley when you need it on an iPhone? In my defence, I agree. I prefer the experimental blue on the A4s.

Express blue is however my favourite livery. I am using a Kingfisher model in that livery with a Graeme King cast resin chimney to make 60034.

• RMweb Premium

Things are looking a bit black today. :yes: Not just the weather, as usual, but happenings on the layout too. Still, I can only record what actually happens, can't I?

post-98-0-54582900-1342004160_thumb.jpg

We begin with the arrival of the morning Parliamentary from Doncaster. The New England shedmaster may have taken a bit of a risk letting this thing out on the main line, but perhaps its internal condition belies that filthy exterior?

post-98-0-64362600-1342004329_thumb.jpg

It managed to get here anyway. That overall roof is not at a crazy angle by the way, its just one of those tricks the camera plays now and then.

post-98-0-00487700-1342004449_thumb.jpg

It's that C12 again, drawing the carriages for a Grimsby local out of the north end sidings. it will transfer them to Platform 4, and then it is time for a cup of tea while blocked in and waiting for the train to depart.

post-98-0-81148300-1342004613_thumb.jpg

Here is another of my occasional attempts to get a different angle, as usual thwarted by being taken against the light. Another shabby local B1 has backed on to the Grimsby stock, while a borrowed 02 plods through with a Ferme Park- New England class F.

post-98-0-45737600-1342004871_thumb.jpg

Always better results from this angle. I must tone down those BR lamps, the LNER one on the 02 is almost invisible in comparison.

post-98-0-20231400-1342005460_thumb.jpg

And another class F, this time on its way South, passes behind an 04. New England must be short of WD's today. So, all a bit black as I said, but it wasn't all glamour stuff even on the ECML.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Your signalboxes, are they scratch built or modified kits? They look great!

7362888806_46103bbf73.jpg

DSCF0755 by Coldgunner, on Flickr

The signalbox was scratch built by Gravy Train ( Peter Leyland) as were all the other buildings on the layout. North box has a fully detailed interior, which can be illuminated. I will get round to connecting that up one day, and then post some photos.

60034 is one I am working on at the minute for Copley Hill (experimental blue though). Looking at RCTS I know it definitely had said tender in 1948 through to 1952 with the cut down raves (there's two photographs confirming that in RCTS, and one of Seagull with the same cut down raves going into a tunnel in 1956), but I am uncertain if it kept it through from '52 to your layout's time period Gilbert. Trying to make heads or tails of the RCTS volume is proving difficult with my battered copy. Perhaps someone with the Yeadon's register can confirm if '34 kept it though to withdrawal?

It would be unusual if it did, wouldn't it? I thought tenders were swapped around regularly at overhauls.

EDIT: Interesting. RCTS seems to suggest '34 kept it through to 1963 when it was swapped for a streamlined non-corridor tender.

Just dug out my Yeadon A4 volume. Apologies if I don't know the correct terminology, but I'm assuming you mean the high fairings that were applied to the tender. There are pics of both the high side and cut down versions.The tenders they listed as having the fairings were 5323-5332 and the work was done in 1936. It then goes on to say the design was modified as high winds had an adverse effect, so these 10 tenders were cut down between Dec '37 and Feb '38.

The tenders listed for 60034 were as follows

5639 1/7/38 - 22/4/39

5642 9/6/39 - 24/1/48

5332 25/2/48 - 28/5/54

5325 28/5/54 - 14/1/63

5640 28/1/63 - 28/4/66

5329 24/8/66 - 3/12/66 (scrapped)

So on that basis, the cut down tender 5325 would be fine until '63.

Edit: Reminder to self. Read the whole thread before answering a question. Apologies Gilbert, it appears you already had this info....

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 2

Don't apologise Gordon - it still fills a gap in knowledge! I will write the above down to put into my notes on the RCTS volume I have been working on. :) Must get a hold my copy of Yeadons from home before going on the next prolonged business trip.

Gilbert, regarding your pictures above - is your O2 a little engines kit? I think you did state the kit before but I can't find it in the thread, my apologies.

• RMweb Premium

Don't apologise Gordon - it still fills a gap in knowledge! I will write the above down to put into my notes on the RCTS volume I have been working on. :) Must get a hold my copy of Yeadons from home before going on the next prolonged business trip.

Gilbert, regarding your pictures above - is your O2 a little engines kit? I think you did state the kit before but I can't find it in the thread, my apologies.

The 02 is from the PDK kit Simon, and very nice it is too. One of my favourite classes of loco, so I have to have at least one. As 2.8.0's have suddenly become fashionable with our major manufacturers, is it too far fetched to think that we might see a RTR model before too long? With modern tooling it would not be hard to cover the variations in the class, so we could all buy several :rolleyes:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ooooohhhhhh, that 04 looks really chunky; be it the RTR product?

I should actually know how, in theory anyway, to weather that having read Mr. Shackleytoon's famous work (damn fine book as you all know). Strange how a bit of black metal could be so aesthetic and the 4mm replica has that same attribute. I'd have loved to have seen and heard those beasty things clonking over the Trent at High Marnham or chuntering through the 'hills' at Edwinstowe and Tuxford. Also climbing the bank from Retford to Clarborough Tunnel; the drone of a 66 doing just that at about 03.00 is not quite the same I'm sure.

I had to make do with 28XX, 38XX, 47XX, WDs and 9Fs wending their weary way through North Road and up to Mutley Tunnel. Never did see any climbing Dainton; that would have been one h*ll of a display. I did mange to see a few Q6, Q7s and 9Fs coming up to Consett and the short burst of truly volcanic activity between Exeter St D's and Central, but who didn't?

Also getting to really like that C12 pottering about the site; friendly little loco.

P @ 36E

P @ 36E

Guest Tom F

Back from a visit from Peterborough North.

Apart from some jibes and leg pulling regarding a loco of mine..... :cry: :sarcastichand: It was a rather enjoyable day! ;)

I can now say after the comments regarding the cleanliness of the O4/8 in this thread, is that it is now FILTHY!!! Tim/Gilbert will be posting photos I'm sure, but here she is, alongside my O4/8 with the master himself about to declare war with the airbrush!! :devil:

post-6764-0-24033100-1342641732_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

'Twas a lovely day near Nottingham until Tim sallied forth into the garden airbrush in hand. Within minutes the rain began to fall.......... however having hurriedly decamped to the garage, he produced this.post-98-0-55639600-1342642525_thumb.jpg

Not very clean any more, and far more like the real thing always was if it had been longer than four weeks out of Gorton following a general overhaul. Tim has done a lovely job as always, first by blending together bits of B1 with an 04 chassis, and then bringing the finished article to life with his weathering. He wasn't half cross though, he wanted to leave it nice and clean. "The customer is always right" he muttered rebelliously. But he did as asked. As for young Tom F, he may have got wound up a bit I suppose, but Tim and I enjoyed it. :devil: The loco retains a front coupling as it will be doing some tender first work. Having found a photo of an 04/8 heading south through PN, Andy Rush kindly told me that it would be on a coal working to Little Barford power station near St Neots. No turning facilities there, so tender first back to New England. Only about 25 miles though. Retford engine by the way Phil.

I have also done a rather convoluted deal with Tom F which involves my getting two A1's he didn't need in return for the bridge which is presently standing in for Crescent Bridge till the new and correct one gets built. Tim also got me another one which had been returned to Bachmann for some reason, and which set me back the princely sum of £20. :biggrin_mini2: All three have now been transformed into some of the most common of the class back in my day, and will be revealed shortly. Having had little sleep for three nights thanks to a dose of gastric flu :rolleyes_mini: I'm now off for an early night.

• Like 14

Not very clean any more, and far more like the real thing always was if it had been longer than four weeks out of Gorton following a general overhaul. Tim has done a lovely job as always, first by blending together bits of B1 with an 04 chassis, and then bringing the finished article to life with his weathering. He wasn't half cross though, he wanted to leave it nice and clean. "The customer is always right" he muttered rebelliously. But he did as asked.

It was clean once...... ;). It did almost seem a shame to dirty it up, but it would just not have looked right being clean. And yes, the customer is always right :stinker:

post-6712-0-76853700-1342648202_thumb.jpg

'Twas a lovely day near Nottingham until Tim sallied forth into the garden airbrush in hand. Within minutes the rain began to fall.......... however having hurriedly decamped to the garage, he produced this.post-98-0-55639600-1342642525_thumb.jpg

Didn't it just! We were just in time before it really hailed it down!! :O :o

Excellent day had today, even if the weather was horrid. Oh and Tom has a new toy too. More on that tomorrow! :secret:

• Like 5

Guest Tom F

Oh and Tom has a new toy too. More on that tomorrow! :secret:

Would that be the toy that I was told had firstly been smashed to bits by the postman....and then had somehow ended up in the duck pond! :O oh the mental torture! :crazy:

• Like 2

Would that be the toy that I was told had firstly been smashed to bits by the postman....and then had somehow ended up in the duck pond! :O oh the mental torture! :crazy:

You might think that, but neither myself nor Gilbert could possibly comment :jester: :locomotive:

• Like 1

Oh and Tom has a new toy too. More on that tomorrow! :secret:

post-6712-0-61283400-1342700606_thumb.jpg

(Image borrowed from Tom's Leaman Road thread)

Now, I don't know if they were a regular occurrence or not, but I'm sure we can try and persuade Gilbert that sometime in the future, he really might like to have a B16/1. They got as far as Grantham and I dare say as far as New England. Much like this pic here (taken in 1959): http://www.phantasra...d/Gold0018t.JPG

Edited by Tim
  • Like 8