Creative Photography (Railway Related)

Ian J.

Nice photo, :good: Except she's not black and she's a Jubilee (5XP)... ;)

Dunno about that!

I may be missing your point?  She may be a Jub, but she was certainly black when she passed this motley crew of photographers yesterday. :)

post-508-0-39652700-1425853202.jpg

P

• Like 4

I find that dry, cloudy days, are some of the hardest to get a decent picture. There's hardly any "life" in the light.

Today was one such day down here in Dorset. The 12.05 Waterloo - Weymouth heads along the embankment between Christchurch and Pokesdown in dull conditions.

post-6880-0-79284400-1426355140.jpg

• Like 5

But when the sun does shine...

Self-portrait with shadows:

post-6971-0-86842000-1426357613.jpg

(disused viaduct, now a footpath, Conisbrough. That's me, four in from the left on the long span)

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I find that dry, cloudy days, are some of the hardest to get a decent picture. There's hardly any "life" in the light.

Today was one such day down here in Dorset. The 12.05 Waterloo - Weymouth heads along the embankment between Christchurch and Pokesdown in dull conditions.

It all depends what you mean by a decent picture Peter.  There's nothing wrong with yours.

If it's a reasonable light overcast sky, then the lack of harsh shadows from a direct sun can sometimes be an advantage - the clouds effectively act like a giant softbox.  And shooting contra-jour also becomes less of an issue.

The challenge perhaps, on these occasions, can also come from approaching the subject in a different way.  How about these as possible alternatives - I'm sure you've probably considered them anyway;

Setting a shutter speed to deliberately blur the subject to emphasise the speed?

Keeping as much sky as possible out of the composition - easier in some situations than others I accept?

Convert to black and white?

The issue I find and where I have some sympathy with you is not necessarily with the sky, but that some of the TOCs use a lot of white in their vehicle liveries.  Unfortunately for you, that includes South West Trains.