The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

They are allowed the 'second hit' to keep it away from the stumps to protect the wicket but it is a different matter if they try and take a run after so doing.

Edit = spelling

I remember watching an entertaining match for charity on TV years back where a batsman (afraid I can't remember his name) had a similar problem. He managed to scuffle the ball a few yards away, then sprinted past a dawdling fielder to boot it over the boundary.

Howzat?

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Dick that young lady has very definitely got an eye for picture - encourage her.  The granddaughter of friends of ours started like that and by the time she was halfway though her teens she was regularly selling pictures (and moving on to expensive DSLRs - but making really good use of them).

G'night all

• Like 14

Morning all. Not a good nights sleep but it will have to do. Back to the midlands today which I'm not looking forward to.

Rick - Best of luck with the interview.

Time for another coffee.

Have a good day everyone.

• Like 1

Good morning one and all

It is fodder run day and I must remember to buy the wherewithal for sandwiches.  Tomorrow it is Chris versus the M6 again as I plan to visit ExpoEM Autumn and it’s a pig of a journey to Partington [is such sweet sorrow].  An added difficulty is my desire to be back in Bedford for 8 pm and a concert with Wild Willy Barrett of all people.  What could possibly go wrong?

Lurker suggests in the context of PMQs that I have a high threshold of tolerance.  Not me, guv.  The truth is partly that I like background noise when doing important things and partly that I take some delight in people making fools of themselves.  PMQs fulfils both needs!  .

A piece on TV yesterday about anti-social behaviour in Sidmouth made me wonder where the cameras had been during the folk festival.  It was, of course, about seagulls.  You can now be fined £80 for feeding them.  This is the town where a few years back one heinous crime of playing amplified music on the esplanade was tackled by sending in, of all people, the dog warden.

I will probably not post tomorrow morning so best wishes and felicitations to all in distress and recovery.  .

Chris

• Like 18

I remember watching an entertaining match for charity on TV years back where a batsman (afraid I can't remember his name) had a similar problem. He managed to scuffle the ball a few yards away, then sprinted past a dawdling fielder to boot it over the boundary.

Howzat?

Out (on appeal!) - handled ball?

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 3

Mornng All,

It is a somewhat cloudy, but mild morning in this part of the world.

Meanwhile, in Sarfend, I guess it's a write-off....

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Somebody has to say it, and I am surprised no one has

"You're only supposed to blow the bl00dy doors off!"

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Aboard the 07.03 Waterloo - Southampton train after a somewhat ER just before 5. Thanks for the good wishes. Will let you know when I do.

Meanwhile a Happy Friday to all

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a rather cloudy Charente. I agree that Daisy's pictures are very good.

Various tasks got completed yesterday but today's orders have not yet been posted. The morning's entertainment so far has been watching a family of 4 partridge wandering around outside the lounge window. Today we will no doubt see considerable tractor and combine traffic. The sunflower harvest appears to have started.

Regards to all and good luck to Rick.

Jamie

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Chuckinitdarn here.

Rick hope it goes well, Andyb hope you get a positive from your computer interview yesterday.

Dick, you have a great photographer! Enjoy France.

So, breakfast to be made and eaten, car to be packed, operating team to be collected, layout to be loaded then Swindon here we come!

Behave yourselves while I am away...

Baz

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Although the weather isn't very good here. Dull, dismal and wet. More rain to come, some heavy and possibly thundery.

That lets me off gardening so no doubt I'll be called upon to "assist" with indoor domestic tasks. I will have to point out to management that doing that the other day caused my back some grief. That'll probably fall on deaf ears.

Good luck with today's interview Rick.

I had a look earlier at the railway room. It appears to be in rather an untidy state and as The Boss never ventures in there somebody else must be responsible.  :whistle: I suppose I better clear up after him (or them)   :)

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 1

Ugh. Drizzle. Wet, annoying drizzle. Can't go over it, can't go under it, have to go through it. We're waiting for a blood test. What a horrible day. May get better later....

World Book Day already; Going on a Bear Hunt, if I'm not much mistaken?

• Like 11

Morning all,

Drizzle here and a meander towards Beer o'clock. 

Many thanks for the best wishes regarding yesterday's interview. Plenty of positives to take away from it but also areas where I could have done better (one tends to remember those more than the positives?). Either way I woke up with a number of new product applications for what I saw yesterday. I'll drop a courtesy note to the company today.

With autumn poking its head round the corner it may be time to start thinking about the urban (indoor) layout, so at tomorrow's show I may need to pick up some kits and a carriage to finish the layout and get some photos taken. 

Wishing one and all a pleasant POETS day. 

• Like 19

Morning all from a soggy boring borough. The garden wall is finally finished. Now just have to wait for the "other guy" to pick up all the tools and remaining rubble sacks. I'm not holding my breath. His timekeeping is abysmal. If not for the carrot of payment I doubt they'd even bother returning. I will say they did a good job though. Just bloody disorganised and slow. 

Good luck with the job hunt Andy & Rick. 

Question of the day: how fecking large does a doorbell have to be before Parcel Farce or Yokel notice it exists? moronic bunch of asshats. Now I have a round trip to the depot in Dartford that is further than the parcel had to travel in the first place, or wait until the middle of next week. 

Enough of that. Time for work. On today's menu we have a senior architect who has been dropped into a major project working with a product that he knows nothing about. Rather than employ one of our team to do the work, I get to play tutor for the day. It'll all end in tears. Pass the absinthe. 

The pinched nerve has been a b*gger all week. That means a quiet weekend at home staring at the ceiling. 

Enjoy your weekend. 

Seriously, there’s a load of cobblers being written about Hurricane Irma - even on the BBC’s website.

Here’s a link to the route/strength of Irma (it changes every five hours or so) from the NHC: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov

Just click on the Irma hurricane symbol and a variety of options come up.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

Hello Folks, sorry for my absence for the last few weeks.

I do hope everyone is in good spirits.

It's a grey, grotty day in Newport, all sort of  'Blurgh' really. Mrs. Smith has asked me to attend to a survey on a house towards Swansea, so I've earned a half-day of brownie points on my account. Actually it's no bad thing, because if you like the house when the weather is awful, the chances are  its better when the sun is out. 

Some tinkering in prospect this afternoon, measuring up for the new transport cases for the shunting plank.

As I'm writing this, the clouds are starting to break, with some sunshine on the way.

Have a good weekend everybody, and enjoy!

Ian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Overcast but not as breezy as yesterday.

We may go to Chelmsford this afternoon so thst Matthew can do some shopping. He needs new shoes. Benfleet doesn't have shoe shops though there are quite a few shoe repair shops.

Tony

• Like 14

Still waiting for the CX owner to return from Southern France.

No sign of latest MRJ in Ealing. It would be nice if the bigger Sainsbury stores would consider stocking MRJ since I could then claim some Nectar points.

Wondering how long I can put off the evil day when I have to use varifocals. It's actually a real strain to do any close-up work using my single-vision lenses now as my eyes won't focus properly with them, so I'm having to take my glasses off for that.

• RMweb Gold

No sign of latest MRJ in Ealing. It would be nice if the bigger Sainsbury stores would consider stocking MRJ since I could then claim some Nectar points.

Wondering how long I can put off the evil day when I have to use varifocals. It's actually a real strain to do any close-up work using my single-vision lenses now as my eyes won't focus properly with them, so I'm having to take my glasses off for that.

I had reading glasses and driving glasses. I then added some prescription sunglasses for driving. Now I have one pair that do everything. I think it is interesting that the more minimal the frame, the higher the cost.

Tony

I know it's been a tough week with not much sleep at times and quite a lot of worry.

But being given an OAP discount automatically in a shop when you are 15 years shy of drawing a pension.

Seriously?  :swoon:

Anyway. I invested the discount wisely.  :drink_mini:

:jester:  :jester:  :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Varifocals take some time to get used to using but it saves the trouble of carrying Xn pairs and leaving them around so that frequently you do not have the relevant pair available.  Just don't use them for checking if a ra'line is straight!

Peter

Edit = spelling (typos as per recent blog comments)

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 1

.....it is interesting that the more minimal the frame, the higher the cost.

Less is more.

Varifocals take some time to get used to using ....

The Executor client I visited the other day has them and she warned me that it took her several days to adjust!

I had a sight test (at Specsavers) a couple of weeks ago, but the Ealing branch was so busy that in the end I didn't bother buying a new pair of glasses that day. There was a nice light frame design in the £69 range which looked alright, but you then have to add the cost of the lenses to that.....

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 9