The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Varifocals:

One thing to be aware of is that the size of frame determines the gradient between in focal properties. The smaller the frame the steeper the gradient and can provide a somewhat distorted view.  

I went for a BOGOF deal at Specsavers* and opted for both smaller and larger frame versions.  I rarely use the smaller framed ones, even though they might be more "stylish". 

One thing to be aware of is that Specsavers were offering a 3-month trial which meant that if you didn't get on with the glasses you could try something else for free, no quibbles.  

* other opticians are available if you can spot them.   :blind:

Edited by AndyB

Varifocals:

One thing to be aware of is that the size of frame determines the gradient between in focal properties. The smaller the frame the steeper the gradient and can provide a somewhat distorted view......

In this case, it looks like I'm going to need a pair for riding and driving, and another pair for modelling......

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I now use the opticians in the Pitsea Tesco's. At one time I used to go to Optical Express until they closed the local branch leaving the nearest branch at Lakeside. I then tried Boots optical, never again! Now I have been using Tesco's for about 10 years and as far as I am concerned they are the best opticians I have ever used. Best wishes and I hope you get the job Rick,  congratulations to young Daisy, excellent camera work. Thats it for now folks, be back later.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning.  Physioterrorised, not too bad today.  Seems I am ahead of the game for a Lisfranc fracture, doing OK.  At least something's gone right!

Forgot to wish Rick well in his endeavours.

MRJ has been purchased in Ramsey on Fraggle Rock apres physio this morning - yet Ealing has no supplies?  Letters to the Times need to be written.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

It is freely precipitating down in the great outside and the forecast is that it will continue.  But fortunately the Sunday forecast has moved away from precipitation suggesting hinting that I might have reasonable weather in which to conduct my anti-socially polluting diesel fuelled car to & from Swindon.

Great activity in the kitchen as herself is baking a cake for sale from the RDA stall at the show tomorrow but I doubt we'l venture there as after a day of continuous rain I have the feeling it will be something of a mud bath as the site has virtually no hard standing.

Hope Rick gets the outcome he wishes for with his testing but at least he'll have had a train ride at someone else's expense  (which is a darned sight more than FGW were offering a few years back if you went to Swindon for an interview).

Have a good day one and all (if the weather and management - various - allow of course).

• Like 4

I've just had a cockwomble moment. I completed my adjustments to our front gate so as it will click shut for our post person and was walking back to the rear of our house. We live in a corner house by the way. As I set off two things happened, firstly a chap was alongside of me on the road side. Second, two cars arrived at the said junction. Car one turned right and as it moved forward, car two moved to the left to pass car one and turn left. The aforementioned chap waited at the junction for car two to pass. I should say here that the kerb stones here are very low, almost flush caused by cockwombles cutting the corner off and this just what car two did. The chap had to jump back to avoid his toes going under the rear wheels of the car.    

Edited by Judge Dread

• RMweb Premium

In this case, it looks like I'm going to need a pair for riding and driving, and another pair for modelling......

My sister in law optician has prescribed me reactolite vari focals and they work for almost everything. For modelling and in particular for working under a baseboard and looking upwards at a mess of wiring, she told me to go to boots and get some high strength ready readers. I got two pairs for £2 at Asda and one pair lives in my modelling too box. They work a treat.

Jamie

• Like 9

I had reading glasses and driving glasses. I then added some prescription sunglasses for driving. Now I have one pair that do everything. I think it is interesting that the more minimal the frame, the higher the cost.

Tony

Is that why I've seen so many people wearing specs the size of porthole lights?

Edit: interrupted by phone call, left post garbled and incomplete.

Edited by bluebottle
  • Like 11

Sunny here so far, but expecting rain later, I think. Glasgow has been sodden for the last few days, but Edinburgh has escaped the worst.

Some welcome news is that the swifts seem to have returned to the area - hadn't seen any since late August and was concerned that they'd already returned to Africa, but they were flying around the gardens this morning. Last year they left around October 9th - we saw tens of them them gathered on a kids' spider frame in a Sunday drizzle, then they flew south.

Love my varifocals, probably paid more than I needed to, but the Lindberg frames are incredibly light. Yes, Tony, the only bits are the legs and the bridge...

Kate Moss looks pretty good in spex while she's modelling... dunno if they're varifocals, though.

Good luck to Rick and Andy

Have a good day

Mal

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Just back from opticians. Matthew has need of a new prescription. They will fit the new lenses into his frames next Wednesday. My slightly wonky frame side piece had a new ball bearing fitted while I waited.

There are varifocals and varifocals. The opticians showed once showed me all the different lens versions. As Jamie mentioned it is an art for them to create lenses for someone like Aditi that has small lens sizes. Though her favourite optician says she has the most perfect nose ever for spectacle wearing.

• Like 18

Varifocals? - no thank you

I have 3 pairs - one for driving, which I rarely use due to having had my cataracts done I can see long distance without them - but they are a boon when my eyes are tired and at night - one pair, that live on my computer desk, which are specifically for adjusting my vision for the distance of the computer screen, and the last pair for reading - I can read the smallest size letters on the opticians test card with those, so they are ideal for modelling, too. Since I no longer wear them full time, I get the cheapest frames from Tescos - around £30 a pair - in 3 different colours, so I know which is which - Fashion be damned! The modelling box also has a pair of reading glasses from Dunelm - where I happened to see them - quite literally a metal nose bridge and side arms and plastic lenses

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 16

That reminds me, time for an eye test. The employer pays for our vision care but only at a base level. Up to now the frame selection was limited to the "Jack Duckworth" collection with only the most basic of lenses. (coke, pepsi, or fanta bottle) Varifocal were permitted but if you wanted decent quality optics with anti-glare and all the bells & whistles you had to pay for the whole thing. Now they've done a deal with SpecSavers. Still basic but we now get a base amount voucher and can pay for upgrades without having to cover the whole cost, just the difference.  

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Tis' Araining here too, very heavy I can hear it on the tin roof above the noise of the A/C and all the equipment in here... Meanwhile the idiot on the radio  is playing something called "follow the sunshine"...Even more likely to take the Landrover to the ECO show at Felbrigg, the field they park us on Might require 4X4...

Luckily I just need readers, lots of cheap one pound ones for losing everywhere, one good pair  from the Optcians by the bed. Yes we still have an Opticians, no banks and most of the other shops have closed. oh except for the Chemist...

Just had my brain taken out, more powerpoint poisoning. Still the 15 minute course, I finished in 7 minutes by putting on text and graphics only so it didn't play the awful american videos...

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Premium

I had to get Reading glasses quite Earley in my life because I couldn't Theale the words clearly. The focus kept coming and Goring. I got a Hungerford clearer vision and thus was a Pangbourne. They certainly helped me tell which Appleford a pie - a cox from a Bramley. I ended up with a distance pair too but being Mortimer-ous about wearing those I had to Culham.

Your good wishes have been with me as I have left the assessment with a score of 100%. The on-job interview is next Wednesday morning. One step at a time.

• Like 16

The batsman would be out..strange things the Laws of Cricket..42 official and one (the use of common sense) unofficial

Baz

Night to most, afternoon Pete, evening to others

Baz

I believe you are also not allowed to obstruct the fielders while defending your wicket, as Len Hutton found out long ago. for example if the ball popped up and was falling back down towards your wicket, you couldn't hit it if the ball could be caught by a close fielder. However these things are really just instinct

The subsidiary headline is somewhat intriguing.....

I wondered if they were related

• Like 10

afternoon all. It's a working from home day today as I was waiting for the shower man to come, he's been and replaced a solenoid. Hopefully we will get a while without more shower failures.

Good news so far for Rick - let's hope the assessment goes as well.

And good pictures from Daisy. It is at that kind of age that digital cameras make a real difference - no need to worry about film costs and so on and the chance to see immediate results and to learn from them. Younger Lurker has a very interesting outlook, he sometimes  looks at different things to the neurotypicals. Mrs Lurker made him a hardback book of his photos from our holiday in canada using photobox. It's really effective and he has a nice souvenir.

It's been raining most of the day here but it looks like fine for Sunday when we go to Brands hatch to feed Younger Lurker's supercar interest. I've never been, but I am hoping it will be quite fun.

Better get back to the work.

Have a good weekend all.

• Like 4

afternoon all. It's a working from home day today as I was waiting for the shower man to come, he's been and replaced a solenoid. Hopefully we will get a while without more shower failures.

Good news so far for Rick - let's hope the assessment goes as well.

And good pictures from Daisy. It is at that kind of age that digital cameras make a real difference - no need to worry about film costs and so on and the chance to see immediate results and to learn from them. Younger Lurker has a very interesting outlook, he sometimes  looks at different things to the neurotypicals. Mrs Lurker made him a hardback book of his photos from our holiday in canada using photobox. It's really effective and he has a nice souvenir.

It's been raining most of the day here but it looks like fine for Sunday when we go to Brands hatch to feed Younger Lurker's supercar interest. I've never been, but I am hoping it will be quite fun.

Better get back to the work.

Have a good weekend all.

One of my clients, a really smashing bloke and also very good friend, is the owner of Sixth Gear Experience ( google it ) and who knows, he might give the lad a spin round Silverstone in the latest Lambo, Aston or Ferrari!

He has a thread on here ( started by me ) called Heaton Lodge in the Scenery, Structures & Transport section.

Allan

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 12

POETS and I'm ready...

Forgot to mention that yesterday was the start of choir season, so dutifully went for a happy hour pint with the small group of regulars, then on to choir rehearsal. Good to reconnect.

Today is BIN day, BINs out, job done.

Now't else to report, though I'm expecting some ferocious activity on the PECO/Bullhead thread today as I noticed on facebook that RM/PECO have posted pictures of the first release version of a point in said format. Should get a few tongues ablaze - probably a thread to avoid more likely ;)  :O  :jester:

11 and sunny first thing, 21 for the high, continuing our seasonal cooling it seems.

POE and get those weekend plans started as soon as practical everyone.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jack,

Shortliner, has reminded me that I do have another pair of specs.  The varifocals do most else, including reactolite but varifocals change as you move your eyes to focus and as previously stated take some time to get used to.  Having said that music is a different thing and I found that the varifocals simultaneously gave me two notes .. which one was the correct one? ... as you moved quite quickly up and down when playing.  This was a problem and my old reading glasses solved the problem and continue in use.  The music stand is set at the appropriate distance for them and the focus does not change with movement so, hopefully, I am able to play the right notes all the time!

Peter

Edit = spelling

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Now't else to report, though I'm expecting some ferocious activity on the PECO/Bullhead thread today as I noticed on facebook that RM/PECO have posted pictures of the first release version of a point in said format. Should get a few tongues ablaze - probably a thread to avoid more likely ;)  :O  :jester:

I'm going to post the FB link on the thread.....

Re-lights blue touch paper.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Phew, what a marthon read to get caught up - and far too much has happened to offer individual comments on everybody's contributions to the jollity.  I was going to offer good luck wishes to the interviewees on here, but too late.  And Smiffy has been back a couple of days now too - good news indeed. 

Also a bit late to comment on the varifocals debate, but I found Essilor Varilux Comforts were easy to adapt to and still use them now after about ten years (or more).  Adapting took me about a day.  I got them fitted over a weekend when I didn't need to drive, and had no work commitments.  And it all worked for me.

However, now got to go as I still have a few tasks domestic and a gog walk to deal with.

Hopefully back tomorrow.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 12

Oh goody!

Equifax (US consumer credit reporting agency) had a security breach. 143 million people could be affected. That's getting on for half the population of the US.

EDIT: Oh, and three of the execs dumped stock on the day the breach was discovered. They claim they didn't know. Yeah, right! They will be investigated by the SEC.

Edited by AndyID