New B17

Hi All,

I've just bought Thorpe Hall from www.wrlpg.com

Just to say the best online price I have found and the funds help them restore a loco. Not sure if they have many in stock so be quick!

John

John,

Many thanks for the promotion of our group. We also now have other versions in stock. Please visit us and support our restoration activities.

www.wrlpg.com

Regards

Paul

• RMweb Premium

:laugh: ... has anyone had a go at running their B17s with the full detail attached yet? I've a few of the Hornby curves knocking about and my apple green one just about manages 4th radius with all of the bits. I foresee some problems with anything approaching 3rd radius though.

I fitted the various details before I test ran the loco and can confirm it won't touch 2nd radius curves with the cylinder drain pipes in place. I am tempted to trim them back, thinking 'wrong' pipes would be better than none at all, but I will try to wait for other people's reports first, in case it still won't do these curves without the pipes ...

Just got in to find Grimsby Town has arrived (but no nameplates or transfers yet from my usual sources) .

Don't worry, all Grimsby Town loco's are missing transfers, but tbh it will make it more authentic & it will not be authentic if it had a decent set of transfers now would it? :)

My Grimsby Town also had a loose nut on the middle axle. Probably a result of vibration in transit across the sea!

This was easily tightened. I have purloined a handy box spanner from one of my son's 'tech-deck' finger skateboards which fits perfectly.

Nice model, and very smooth. All detail parts fitted, although the cylinder drains were shortened for the curves on my layout.

Interestingly, the instructions show the short-lived steel angles that used to be provided to hold models in polystyrene packaging. Obviously this is a reflection of the protracted gestation of this model, which had things been different would have been issued long before the new packaging design was launched.

Well worth the wait though, although my two boys are baffled as to why Grimsby Town does not feature on FIFA!

N

• RMweb Gold

Like Neil's my B17 also had a loose nut on the middle axle which was easily rectifiied.

Brilliant model and runs beautifully.

Cheers,

Mark

Been working on Grimsby Town today. It's no longer Grimsby Town but almost ready to become Leicester City.

post-1656-0-46990300-1360165097.png

I'm slightly aggrieved by British Railways' of 1949's sense of humour...

I have found four photographs of this locomotive with the branding, rather than the emblem, in this livery and on each occasion the lettering is in a different place on the tender sides, or in a larger font! I ended up picking a late September 1949 photograph for the left hand side, with 9in lettering, and an August 1949 photograph for the right hand side with the same 9in lettering. You will see the lettering is not in line with the numbers as a result.

There is a photograph of sister engine 61660 Hull City in a similar form but looking closely I think she carries 8in lettering which is a shade smaller. You couldn't model her using this model as a basis though as Hull City had a westinghouse pump. I'm more or less convinced that Leicester City was the only choice possible with this model for 1949, and with the BRITISH RAILWAYS branding.

I have transfers to put onto the nameplates, followed by a coat of Johnson's Klear on cabsides and tender, and then hopefully a nice weathering session later this evening. I'm very much taken with the "T-Cut" method of transfer removal now, all numbers and letters removed without problems. T-Cut has also been used to polish up the boiler a little to bring out the green. 

Very kind Cary. I should add a post-script that none of the shots I found showed a curly six on the cabsides - so I didn't use any. I am certain other B17s did have curly sixes in the late 40s, so as always check a photograph of your prototype before going for the jugular on the model. 

Very kind Cary. I should add a post-script that none of the shots I found showed a curly six on the cabsides - so I didn't use any. I am certain other B17s did have curly sixes in the late 40s, so as always check a photograph of your prototype before going for the jugular on the model. 

I'll have a look through my books this evening and see what I can find.

Doesn't BR Green and British Railways look odd! I have a similar case of mixing liveries and emblems on a J71 to do at some point.

That would be most helpful, thank you Tom.

I have The Power of the B17s and B2s but haven't been able to grab a copy of the Yeadon's volume in question yet. RCTS 2A gives quite a few unusual combinations, including the colourful apple green lined yellow Sheffield Wednesday (which Hornby did as on their tender drive model) and the apple green, lined red/cream/grey variant for the same loco. I think it was this locomotive which did have curly sixes (61661, heaven help us who carve up numeral 5s for our odd numeral 6s...!)

I had to have this combination when I realised it was possible RTR. It looks very smart in my view, although I hasten to add I think the B17 is one of those engines which looks handsome in any of its many livery variations. 

post-1656-0-56430500-1360183025.png

I hope Leicester City fans will appreciate the pain I went through this evening after work. Changing the name and colours on a footballer nameplate much harder than I thought! I think the results were worth it, and though it's a really cruel close up above, I don't think they'll look too bad when they are on the finished locomotive. Not perfect, but a good first attempt, and hopefully Charlton Athletic's will be better.

Modelmaster nameplates used, Gamesworkshops Enchanted Blue acrylic paint used to cover Grimsby Town's colours, HMRS' LNER Loco sheet white/black lining out used, then a needle with some Abaddon Black from the same range to cover up the excess blue, and the result is Leicester's colours adding a dash of colour to a dark green engine I hope. Johnson's Klear to seal on the left one, 

I'm not sure if anyone else has transplanted a larger diameter door onto the GE-tendered B17 yet, but here's my effort on 61643 Champion Lodge.  It rather hinges on a carefully removed door from a Hornby O1 and being equally careful with removing that off the B17....  To my surprise, I found a crosshead screw inside the smokebox, which secures the ballast weight in the boiler.  I have a feeling that the glue holding the doors on the B17s is a little stronger than usual!

post-6712-0-30501800-1360239661_thumb.jpg

This has also gained additional washout plugs on the firebox to turn it into a part 6 loco.  Fairly straightforward to do with some 2mm rod and 0.7mm wire.

More photos can be seen in my workbench thread...

I'm not sure if anyone else has transplanted a larger diameter door onto the GE-tendered B17 yet, but here's my effort on 61643 Champion Lodge.  It rather hinges on a carefully removed door from a Hornby O1 and being equally careful with removing that off the B17....  To my surprise, I found a crosshead screw inside the smokebox, which secures the ballast weight in the boiler.  I have a feeling that the glue holding the doors on the B17s is a little stronger than usual!

attachicon.gif61643_R_26091-2a.jpg

This has also gained additional washout plugs on the firebox to turn it into a part 6 loco.  Fairly straightforward to do with some 2mm rod and 0.7mm wire.

I'll add some more pics later to my workbench thread...

Very smart Tim - I think the 'new green' very much improves Hornby models

Very smart Tim - I think the 'new green' very much improves Hornby models

Thanks David.  Yes, I'd agree there, especially the richness it gives!  As it is, I'm still on the hunt for one of the most recent Royal Scots at the right price.... :)

Interesting to see a model of 61665 in BR green with full BR title. 61661 was the only other. I've never come across photos of the real things though. As an aside, one wonders how much lack of control existed within BR when the chaps at Darlington Works continued to use LNER green with full title long after BR green and the Tender totem had been finalised and adopted elsewhere.

"Enchanted Blue" shirts? Well that explains why they are playng well this season - sorry wrong thread!

It looks as if the "pain" was worth it judging by the end result. It may even inspire me to have a go at "Leicester City" in it's 1956 guise, as I was apparently a passenger at the tender age of 3, when it pulled "The City of Leicester (Central) Holiday Express".

Interesting to see a model of 61665 in BR green with full BR title. 61661 was the only other. I've never come across photos of the real things though. As an aside, one wonders how much lack of control existed within BR when the chaps at Darlington Works continued to use LNER green with full title long after BR green and the Tender totem had been finalised and adopted elsewhere.

Hi Larry, would be happy to send you an email with a selection of ones I've found if you'd like. I have a few of Hull City and Leicester City. It will have to wait until I am home for an extended period between work trips though. 

I find the changeover period interesting for precisely that reason (lack of control within BR for paint shops!) There were so many different variations on a theme. I have one I am working on, a Thompson L1, where the LNWR style lining out goes over the cut out on the tank side, whereas on the rest, it simply ended and started again! Then there's another L1 with the cycling lion on LNER apple green. 

Some wonderful and amazing combinations which has made personalising locomotives for myself, so much more satisfying than previously.

Hi Larry, would be happy to send you an email with a selection of ones I've found if you'd like. I have a few of Hull City and Leicester City. It will have to wait until I am home for an extended period between work trips though. 

I don't want to trouble you honestly, but thanks for your kind offer. Such things were bread 'n butter to me in my painting & lining days but I just take a casual interest these days.

Larry

• RMweb Premium

I succumbed to temptation yesterday at Doncaster, and bought a 61650 'Grimsby Town' to keep 'Thorpe Hall' company.

An equally lovely model, and nice new moulding of the standard 4200 gallon tender - but looking at the rear it seems to be deficient in lamp irons!  There's just the pair over the left hand (driver's side) buffer, no other lower ones and no sign of a top one at all.

I wondered whether I was unlucky, or are they all like that?

Experience of recent Hornby tenders suggests the lower lamp irons are usually separate mouldings which plug into holes, but on this one there are no holes where lamp irons would normally be.  Also, I can't see any loose in the packaging (although I probably wouldn't have noticed if there had been).

Archived