New B17

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the picture Simon - curious isn't it?  In reality the lower lamp irons were attached to the flat part of the tender running plate rather than the vertical rear of the tank, so one way to make them might be to bend some strip into a flat bottomed 'u'-shape and glue one of the legs to the inside of the rear of the tank, having first notched the bottom of the tender back to accomodate the flat part of the 'u' (hope that makes sense!).  I often use straightened out staples for lamp irons, they're pretty strong and not too wide - it's easy to make them over scale.

As promised, the rear of my Leicester City's tender:

attachicon.gifCIMG6052_1.png

How very tiresome. I will make up some new lamp irons posthaste, left over from my last set of A4 trial etches.

What is the tall structure in the background Simon....looks almost like a Coaling Cenotaph! :mosking:

That is my suit for work, hung on the back of the door! :)

Haha, from this angle it's shape does seen to resemble Top Sheds Cenotaph!

I intend to get a Sandringham later in the year....could be tempted for a footballer too perhaps.

• 2 weeks later...

what a lovely model....!    In forward gear, main line passenger service ....  must have been away from the GE section.

maybe even my GC line...     or will I have to re-name and number?

post-7929-0-21233100-1361479581.jpg

Rob

edit; added my old Hamish... passed fireman...likes these engines, likes to get a clean fire, with little and often,  and let the motion of the engine do the rest.

looks nice close up...    what a fine model!

post-7929-0-93427900-1361479645.jpg

edit; just narrowed the running plate ever so slightly. I notice the lamp brackets on the back are not quite right but we cannot see that!

• 2 months later...

Coming in a bit late to this one - but does anyone know where we can get/buy suitable air-pumps as fitted to the LNER 'Sandringham' version, to enable us BR period ex-GER modellers to pump-up our re-names?

There seems to be a total lack of suppliers of the simple plain air pumps as used on GER engines (of which the Hornby 'Sandringham' version appears to be just about right)

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not particularly that, Mark, but it did occur to me the other day that there are other possible variants that haven't been offered yet - I'd like a Westinghouse-fitted one in BR livery, for example.

• RMweb Premium

When I've asked similar "change of crest" type questions at shows, the likes of Hornby and Bachmann seem to expect modellers for whom an early or late crest matters to make the change themselves using transfers. Only if the particular combination is expected to sell well are we likely to get all the livery/crest/tender etc. combinations. So send Hornby an email and hope others do too...

Following the D16/3 introduction, I discovered my Claud tenders (2 examples) were very lightfooted with their tenders. This led to bouncing around, and intermittent electrical pickup. I added ballast wieght to the tenders (Blutak) which vastly improved thing.

So looking at the B17 with the similar GER type tender, it too was light; another loading with Blutak has improved it.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifSAM_0767.JPG

attachicon.gifSAM_0768.JPG

:P :P

Have to admit, I'm waiting for  'Gilwell Park' to do do 61645 'Suffolk Regiment'!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Very nice, Peter - I could indeed do something like that myself!  Just hoping they might do it for me, and save me having to negotiate the numerical minefield.

@ jwealleans...

I believe quite a lot of people are waiting to 'do' Middlesbrough' !!! On a serious note, Swinger notes this as a particularly unreliable machine!

Have a look on UK Ebay, trains/railway models in worldwide mode, there are several B17/6 for sale in Hong Kong.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• 1 month later...

Archived