New B17

• RMweb Premium

It is very quiet on the B17 front, I do not know when said loco is due, probably 2011, but there has been very little (dare I say it) frothing about this loco, mind you there has been very little info from Hornby.

It would be good to see them on Dec 20th, but that will take over a week before I get it in OZ because of the Christmas holiday period.

I have ordered the BR version and will buy a LNER version with my favorite football team 'Liverpool', but will have to wait for that one.

It would also be good to see a photo of the production version soon, but we will have to be patient, as with the Schools class loco, they were not released till the following year so it may be 2011 when we see them.

MArk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

To alleviate my disappointment at the lack of a J15 in the Hornby 2011 programme, I have been looking again at the forthcoming B17.

Looking at the 2011 list, it appears Hornby are initally doing two versions ( if you ignore livery/weathering variations) - a B17/2 with GE type tender, and a B17/6 with a LNER group standard tender.

I'm modelling the Cambridgeshire (nee Huntingdonshire) in the 1950's. March and Cambridge sheds had lots of B17's, but all the ones I can find pictures of are B17/6s with GE tenders.

So what do I do? The proposed Hornby B17/6 has the wrong tender. The B17/2 has the right tender, but the wrong boiler. B17/2s were being rebuilt to B17/6up to 1958, but the bulk of the rebuilds appear to have taken place in the early 1950's(1950-1951) and I want to model post 1954 (or thereabouts). Suitable ones for my model all seem to have been rebuilt to B17/6 relatively early on.

The risk is if I wait for Hornby to do a B17/6 with the right tender for my period and location it will never happen, and i will be left without a B17. My inclination is to get the B17/2 with the right tender and either leave things as they are, or modify the boiler - the visible difference appears to be in the number and location of the washout plugs. Any other changes I should bear in mind I'm not an expert on the variations in the class so would appreciate the input of others to get things right.

I was undecided as the the best forum to post this in - start a question/query thread, or post in an existing topic discussing the specific product- I've gone for the latter.

• RMweb Premium

So what do I do? The proposed Hornby B17/6 has the wrong tender. The B17/2 has the right tender, but the wrong boiler. B17/2s were being rebuilt to B17/6up to 1958, but the bulk of the rebuilds appear to have taken place in the early 1950's(1950-1951) and I want to model post 1954 (or thereabouts). Suitable ones for my model all seem to have been rebuilt to B17/6 relatively early on.

Buy one of each, swop the tenders and sell the other one on :rolleyes:

Buy one of each, swop the tenders and sell the other one on :rolleyes:

Please bear in mind we are in recession, if not now then shortly. So things being 'late' and the lack of 'All New' offerings is not unexpected, from a commercial point of view. B1s & A1s use many components all ready designed & paid for! I think this is the logic behind a very clever Hornby managment team, as they are not immune from the financial crisis we are entering. More Railroad stuff to come, I am certain! Thats what the big shops want, not superdetailed expensive locomotives such as 73s, 47s, J27s etc.

We will see!

• 3 months later...

Took this very poor picture at Ally Pally this weekend so there is at least one in the country!

Seriously, does anyone have any more news about when they might arrive, especially the BR versions?

Regards to all.

Brian.

post-1115-0-37577800-1301335893_thumb.jpg

Nice!!!

Always good to see more LNER locos. Very good looking model. I saw another shot of this loco in either Model Rail or Hornby magazine, livery is crisp, shape looks good. Should make a great addition!

I feel nothing but sympathy for those who want anything either than the /2 or /6 Hornby has produced. Maybe we'll be seeing tenders plonked onto ebay soon enough...

• 2 months later...

Archived