New B17

• RMweb Gold

The postman brings news.Key Publishing (aka Hornby Magazine) announce B17/6 61662 'Manchester United' ( well,it had to be hadn't it) BR late crest,weathered. Delivery w/c 14 /01/2013, 750 units. Priced at £127.99 (p&p inc.). No. 411 reserved for me----apparently. Probably because I am a 'previous customer.'--Bachmann weathered 37. Shame the two locos missed each other by two years.

My picture of the said Hornby Magazine limited edition can be found further back on this thread here

• RMweb Premium

Eventually someone must make Tottenham Hotspur, if only to keep my mum and brothers happy. Shame there was never an Ipswich Town...

The problem with doing 61630 Tottenham Hotspur is that it requires both a GE tender, a football, and, for most of its 50s life at least, a five wash-plug boiler. As this is not a combination that Hornby have so far announced, modelling will be required.

The problem with doing 61630 Tottenham Hotspur is that it requires both a GE tender, a football, and, for most of its 50s life at least, a five wash-plug boiler. As this is not a combination that Hornby have so far announced, modelling will be required.

Hi.

I think if you buy 61637 & 61650 you could swap the tenders. That would give you a footballer with 5 wash plugs and a GE tender for Tottenham Hotspur. The 4 wash plug engine with an LNER tender could become 61647 Helmingham Hall which did not receive a 100A boiler till Feb 1958. It could of course become another footballer with the name of an inferior club.

Roger.

It was rumoured the very first B17 was named Oldham Athletic because of it's large experimental oblong firehole door that resembled an open goal but it was relegated to kicking wagons about in the works yard... :warning:

A brave man indeed Larry, but very amusing. Just noticed 61622 Alnwick Castle weatherd on e-bay (170958110838) already. FINGER ON THE PULSE. UNLIKE ME.

The postman brings news.Key Publishing (aka Hornby Magazine) announce B17/6 61662 'Manchester United' ( well,it had to be hadn't it) BR late crest,weathered. Delivery w/c 14 /01/2013, 750 units. Priced at £127.99 (p&p inc.). No. 411 reserved for me----apparently. Probably because I am a 'previous customer.'--Bachmann weathered 37. Shame the two locos missed each other by two years.

Same here. It looks a lovely loco, and there was once (at least) a B17 on the Saffron Walden Branch - but I'm afraid that name would have to go!

It was rumoured the very first B17 was named Oldham Athletic because of it's large experimental oblong firehole door that resembled an open goal but it was relegated to kicking wagons about in the works yard... :warning:

Ouch! I fear you may get an attack of the Mumps!

(I'd better explain that there's an Oldham railway connection in there).

As an update to my previous post (#309) above I can also now confirm that my B17 Thorpe Hall is a superb runner. I don't think I have another steam loco that can move so slowly, literally creeping along (on DC Gaugemaster Combi). All in all then, a fantastic model, well worth the wait and highly recommended. I fancy another one, perhaps with a group standard tender :imsohappy:

Regards,

Brian.

My B17 Thorpe Hall turned up on Friday, so unpacked it and started the running in process that I do with all new locos. Left it running for 20 minutes or so, but returned to a loco that was running quite badly and unable to run at all at low speeds. Switched it off and left it until this morning to check. I was quite surprised to find the driving axles and other moving parts were devoid of lubrication. A few small drops in the all the correct areas and am pleased to say running is now very smooth. It's one of those things I just take for granted and may be just a one off, but worth checking to see if there are signs of lubrication before running.

• RMweb Gold

Problems like this are,in my experience,not uncommon with new Hornby steam locos. Similar occurrences have happened with an A3,a 28xx,a Clan and a WC spamcan. ALWAYS check the motion visually for misalignment.Try in forward and reverse and never leave to its own devices whilst running -in. Gear sets are also sometimes a problem,particularly with rebuilt Bulleid WC & BB. Squeaks and grinding can also be heard occasionally and not always easy to eradicate with lubrication.

Such occurences with lack of lubrication and ill fitting parts are quite scary. One of my Hornby Fowler 2-6-4T's only runs forward but not backwards now. Don't ask me why but I wlll check for lubrication now. My locos have hardly run since purchase but the big tank was used to test track wiring recently.

Same here. It looks a lovely loco, and there was once (at least) a B17 on the Saffron Walden Branch - but I'm afraid that name would have to go!

Ouch! I fear you may get an attack of the Mumps!

(I'd better explain that there's an Oldham railway connection in there).

Werneth you believe it, this forum has stooped to slagging off Oldham Athletic ;-) Still keep half an eye on Latics even though I am not a big football fan and live in London. I was born at Boundrary Park Hospital hence the interest.

Those pictures above.... nice looking loco and all that, but it ought to have white lining on the bufferbeam.

Not my area of the LNER

Should it also have Class and Type too on the Bufferbeam ? Would the Cylinders been lined Red too ?

2800 'Sandringham' is not in original livery. 2800-9 were the last new engines to carry numbers on their tenders. The model is representative of the repaints, whenever that took place. Any that were repainted prior to 1938 lost their classification indication, as this was not adopted as a group practice at this time. As has been mentioned, the bufferbeam should carry black & white lining.

Hi all,

Not being fully conversant with the mystical east, I have a question for anyone who has seen the LNER Green 'Sandringham'.

On viewing what appears to be a beautiful model, I was left feeling the rendition of the Apple Green was a touch dark. I'm aware that Doncaster and Darlington shades were quite distinct but what is the consensus of Hornby's version?

I want to rename/number one as 2841 Gayton Hall, as I lived next door to the place for 12 years.

Opinions welcomed.

Regards,

Andy.

Eventually someone must make Tottenham Hotspur, if only to keep my mum and brothers happy. Shame there was never an Ipswich Town...

I hoping they make the opposite to Tottenham Hotspur myself but have a feeling I could be waiting a while as I think 61648 was one of the last of the previous tooling to be released. Like you I'd prefer an LNER Apple Green version as 2848 and Hornby have yet to announce a B17 with a North East area tender in Apple Green.

Stand corrected.

The former GE lines did.

I am having second thoughts about getting one.

I can name it Danbury Palace after the house where I was born.

Bernard

I stand corrected. Interesting that the GE lines did adopt this and I guess you learn something new with this hobby. Hopefully your model will be a Darlington example from up north - you know where the real engines come from! :thankyou:

• RMweb Premium

The forthcoming "Grimsby Town" (which I have preordered) is listed as being a B17/2. My personal favourite is 61672 "West Ham United" which I understand is a B17/6.

I was wondering, what are the differences and how easy would it be to make a B17/6 out of a B17/2? Or should I perhaps cancel my order in the hope a B17/6 appears one day?

The forthcoming "Grimsby Town" (which I have preordered) is listed as being a B17/2. My personal favourite is 61672 "West Ham United" which I understand is a B17/6.

I was wondering, what are the differences and how easy would it be to make a B17/6 out of a B17/2? Or should I perhaps cancel my order in the hope a B17/6 appears one day?

Going by the RCTS Green Book.

Grimsby Town got a new 100a boiler which turned it from a B17/2 into a B17/6 in 2/55

West Ham United got a new 100a boiler in 9/50 so was a B17/2 only up to that date.

From that I assume that the Hornby model of Grimsby Town will be correct for the early 1950s. I also assume that it is in BR green.

Seeing how Hornby did the various boiler variants for the A3s eventually I would expeect them to do the same with this class.

I would not hold my breath though.

New boiler has different holes.

WHU was also Westinghouse fitted.

The more I look at this class the more complicated I find it.

Bernard

Grimsby Town is actually a B17/6, and is now available for order from Hornby, so should hopefully be with retailers in the next few days (the DCC fitted anyway).

Archived