New B17

• RMweb Gold

Nice one again,Rob.Try a pair of Thompson suburbans at the front of an S&D Exmouth--Cleethorpes train.There is photographic evidence on www.railphotoprints.zenfolio.com If you have an S&D 7F looks good. Don't know if they were around when the 9F's arrived.though, By the way,I had a similar but not quite so acute a problem with the new O1 and the sound W,C. 'Crewkerne packaging. The outer sleeve is far too tight a fit.

In receipt of 'Grimsby Town' today ( Hattons at their finest---well done,Merseyside ). Excellent rendition of a GE icon.Please Mr. Kohler,can we do something about the tight packaging.? This offering is a health hazard to both model and owner alike.I fear some tragedies over the festive season. Otherwise looks good and moves well. Another winner.No more fiddling with the infernal plug,thanks be.

Sorry to hear about your experience with the packaging. I agree about the outer sleeve being too tight, but the revised design does seem to have been designed to reduce incidences of friction polishing on the model, which has been a problem in some cases in the past with polystyrene. Maybe with a few tweaks it might prove to be really fit for purpose.

Nice one again,Rob.Try a pair of Thompson suburbans at the front of an S&D Exmouth--Cleethorpes train.There is photographic evidence on www.railphotoprints.zenfolio.com If you have an S&D 7F looks good. Don't know if they were around when the 9F's arrived.though, By the way,I had a similar but not quite so acute a problem with the new O1 and the sound W,C. 'Crewkerne packaging. The outer sleeve is far too tight a fit.

Actually I do have a weathered 7F lying about here, unloved and rarely photographed, but also have some crimson and cream Mk1 Staniers to compete with Thompsons for leading-carriage honours, perhaps the Thompson composite and then a brake 3rd Stanier.

I love the way ER carriages migrated to the ends of the island!

Rob

Well, 'Grimbsy Town' arrived yesterday, so what is one to do...?

I hope, Coachman that you do not find the running plate too thick...   in any event a clean 61650 with late crest must have been a pretty rare event. Quite a bit of license taken with carriages too.

Very impressive model.

post-7929-0-67187100-1356651472.jpg

Rob

• RMweb Premium

I've belatedly realised that there may be a slight problem with Grimsby Town. Her last general overhaul was in September 1956, and I saw her running trials from works at Newark after that. Late crest did not begin to be applied until April 1957, and she never went back to Doncaster again until withdrawn. It is very unlikely indeed therefore that 1650 ever carried the late crest. All of which of course does not alter the fact that it is a very fine model indeed.

but, but, someone may have photographic evidence....     actually it wouldn't be entirely beyond my abilities to retropectively apply an early crest, what what of accuracy? <g>

The photos, for me, evoke the trains of the day, and yes, I would like to know if 61650 ever carried a late crest.

• RMweb Premium

but, but, someone may have photographic evidence....     actually it wouldn't be entirely beyond my abilities to retropectively apply an early crest, what what of accuracy? <g>

The photos, for me, evoke the trains of the day, and yes, I would like to know if 61650 ever carried a late crest.

It didn't I'm afraid. Tony Wright kindly sent me this photo. which can be found here on my thread. The photo was taken at Colchester in August 1958, just before the loco went to Doncaster and was withdrawn.

• RMweb Premium

As I understand it 61650 was a 30E Colchester engine in 1956, 30A Stratford in 1952, (Modelmaster), so I would be keen to know just what kinds of trains would have been likely after her last overhaul in 1956.

Cheers,

Rob

I suspect that the Clacton interval service would be where she would normally be employed after that last overhaul Rob. As they declined though B17's got relegated to short local jobs, even across country to Cambridge via Marks Tey, so by the time of that 1958 shot, when she would have been thoroughly run down and unfit for main line work, that is the kind of work she would have done. Three or four coaches of the latest Hornby Gresley or Thompson non corridors would be about right, or a combination of the two.

Ah, that's good to know. I shall rest easier. My main aim is to illustrate a train using these lovely models and while details can be important they are not always a matter of perfect exactitude, so long as the general 'feel' is right. To my eyes at least!

Best,

Rob

• RMweb Premium

If anybody's looking to renumber their 'Footballer' into a specimen which DID carry a late crest, there's a nice colour picture of 61652 'Darlington' leaving Cambridge 'towards the end of its life' (withdrawn September 1959) on page 73 of 'LNER 4-6-0s - A pictorial tribute' (Peter Swinger, Ian Allan 2002).  It's a B17/6 which appears to coincide with the Hornby 'Grimsby Town' in Rob's lovely picture above, and all other details seem to be the same too.  On the opposite page, 61649 'Sheffield United' is also depicted in this condition in 1957, but it seems to have acquired an unusual smokebox door that looks more like that of a B12!

• RMweb Premium

If anybody's looking to renumber their 'Footballer' into a specimen which DID carry a late crest, there's a nice colour picture of 61652 'Darlington' leaving Cambridge 'towards the end of its life' (withdrawn September 1959) on page 73 of 'LNER 4-6-0s - A pictorial tribute' (Peter Swinger, Ian Allan 2002).  It's a B17/6 which appears to coincide with the Hornby 'Grimsby Town' in Rob's lovely picture above, and all other details seem to be the same too.  On the opposite page, 61649 'Sheffield United' is also depicted in this condition in 1957, but it seems to have acquired an unusual smokebox door that looks more like that of a B12!

That smokebox door on 61649 is one of the B1 doors with the closer straps Steve. More or less the same as the one on Hornby's 61243. Quite logical really I suppose as by this time most B17's had Dia 100A boilers, so they could easily receive one during overhaul. Photos show that 61621 and 61651 had the same doors towards the end of their lives. 1651 still had early crest in 1959. Others that definitely did get late crest were 61666 and 61672, which were among the last to get full overhauls in early 1958. I stand to be corrected, but I doubt if sheds were applying crests themselves as late as 1958. All the photos I have so far seen show that any loco which had a general overhaul before April 1957, when the Eastern region started using the new crest, went to the scrap line still sporting the old cycling lion.

• RMweb Premium

That smokebox door on 61649 is one of the B1 doors with the closer straps Steve. More or less the same as the one on Hornby's 61243. Quite logical really I suppose as by this time most B17's had Dia 100A boilers, so they could easily receive one during overhaul. Photos show that 61621 and 61651 had the same doors towards the end of their lives. 1651 still had early crest in 1959. Others that definitely did get late crest were 61666 and 61672, which were among the last to get full overhauls in early 1958. I stand to be corrected, but I doubt if sheds were applying crests themselves as late as 1958. All the photos I have so far seen show that any loco which had a general overhaul before April 1957, when the Eastern region started using the new crest, went to the scrap line still sporting the old cycling lion.

Thanks, GN - that's interesting.  I don't think I've come across that variation on a B17 before - the 'Green Book' doesn't seem to cover it (I don't have the relevant 'Yeadons').

Incidentally (and at the risk of repeating myself from another thread), RCTS "Green Book" part 2B covering the B17s (among others) is one of the editions still available *new* from RCTS sales, priced £4.50.  (You don't have to be a member of the RCTS to order).

• RMweb Premium

Just looking through my Yeadon volume 5 on the B17/B2 classes, there is no full listing of names. Is this correct or do I have a duff copy?

Cheers,

Peter C.

No Peter, you don't. For some reason the names were missed out. There was a storm, well a breeze anyway, of protest, and it didn't happen again in future editions.

Archived