Model Rail Sentinel

LH&JC

I understand we are all but sold out on two of the four versions in the second batch. There may well be a third, smaller, batch in due course. The slow running was one of the features which we requested and it resulted in the first use of Dapol's 'supercreep' motor in a 'OO' gauge model. We posed a Sentinel (with permission) on one of the quay sidings at Miniaturwunderland last Tuesday. Despite the siding being electrically 'dead', it proved impossible to obtain a photo that wasn't slightly blurred, until we realised that the Sentinel was actually running and creeping imperceptibly forwards - presumably on some residual current from Miwula's complex control system!

Exposed final gears are by no means unusual, in fact they were the norm until quite recently. If you put a cover over the final gear, you'll probably find that it fouls points and crossings - the clearances in this little model are very tight.

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 3

Does anyone know if either Kernow or Dapol have a Sentinel that is being used for spares?

I am after a spare axle with gear.

Gordon A

Bristol

Sorry, but I think it is unlikely. We don't even have a dismantled model in the MR office.

CHRIS LEIGH

Any chance that they will produce the other three LMS numbers ? A plain black one might also prove useful to some people. Are these transfers or tampo printing on this model ?

I'd say almost no chance, I'm afraid. The BR livery ones sell out quite quickly but most pre-1948 liveries move much more slowly. The models are printed.

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I hate to pester, but is there a chance of a unlettered, unbranded model in plain black with red bufferbeams? I'm not too sure if there are other people who would like this idea, but I feel a plain one could be quite useful.

Johnny

I hate to pester, but is there a chance of a unlettered, unbranded model in plain black with red bufferbeams? I'm not too sure if there are other people who would like this idea, but I feel a plain one could be quite useful.

Johnny

Not quite plain but certainly minimalist: http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/product/35547/MR005A_MR_Dapol_Sentinel_Steam_Locomotive_number_281

There's not a lot to be done to the Irish GSR version to make it plain.

HTH

David

• Like 1

Not quite plain but certainly minimalist: http://www.modelrail...tive_number_281

There's not a lot to be done to the Irish GSR version to make it plain.

HTH

David

Indeed, I wanted the same, so bought the Irish one, and sprayed it black. Painted the bufferbeams by hand (and yes I know there is a tad of red on the chassis in this pic, it's gone now!)

post-723-0-45393800-1351627940.jpg

Dead simple job.

• Like 5

Indeed, I wanted the same, so bought the Irish one, and sprayed it black. Painted the bufferbeams by hand (and yes I know there is a tad of red on the chassis in this pic, it's gone now!)

Dead simple job.

Are you going to weather it ? I intend to weather mine but I would like to see a few examples of what others have done.

Are you going to weather it ? I intend to weather mine but I would like to see a few examples of what others have done.

At some point. Worth noting that it is the first time I've ever painted anything other than a building or wagon kit - I used the Chris Nevard guide to detailing the Sentinel which was featured in MR sometime last year, but left the handrails the same as they were originally.

Very light weathering, just the underpinnings with some coal added to the top of the bunker to make it look less plastic. Also renumbered and crested

post-5047-0-26997600-1351694505.jpg

HTH

David

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I got departmental 57 from the first batch. It's a lovely model but only had it's first real run out this last weekend.

post-684-0-94570900-1353066131.jpg

It attracted some very favourable comments.

I was regretting not getting 68150 as that's sold out.

Renumbering the GSR Sentinel is definitely an option, then I could have one of Hull's LNER allocation...

I ought to look out for a Sentinel railcar too...

:)

Chris (Black Hat)

• Like 1

I did over a number 54 works engine as well for my light railway. Removed the lettering with metal polish, repainted, coaled & weathered, Ultrascales underneath, Dinghams on the ends. Runs even better than the first one right out of the box.

post-5047-0-17757200-1353077232_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

David

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

My sentinel has developed a loud grinding noise when running in reverse at a mid range speed. I oiled the two gears underneath but this has only made the problem worse and now the noise is present over a much wider range. Sending it back is not an option so I would like to pull the whole thing apart for a closer inspection. Are there any expanded diagrams to help me with that process ?

• RMweb Gold

My sentinel has developed a loud grinding noise when running in reverse at a mid range speed. I oiled the two gears underneath but this has only made the problem worse and now the noise is present over a much wider range. Sending it back is not an option so I would like to pull the whole thing apart for a closer inspection. Are there any expanded diagrams to help me with that process ?

Might be worth sending it to DCC Supplies for repair. One of my Sentinels was repaired by them free of charge and out of warranty.

Very professional service and a fast turn around!

Cheers,

Mark

Might be worth sending it to DCC Supplies for repair. One of my Sentinels was repaired by them free of charge and out of warranty.

I was thinking of sending two locos including the Sentinel to them to chip them for DCC and install running lamps. I have now worked out how to pull the whole thing apart. This was made more difficult by the fact that the brake gear had been glued so I cut it off as others have done. The motor seemed to be rubbing on the plastic cover so I have made a spacer to raise the cover and this seems to have solved the problem.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I have renumbered my Sentinel. LNER 8151 was a Hull shunter and spent most of its working life in Sculcoates goods yard. I have given mine its LNER number on one side and its BR number on the other so it serves double duty!

post-684-0-78305600-1404854875_thumb.jpg

post-684-0-54568300-1404855053_thumb.jpg

Chris

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I know this has all been said previously in this thread but I want to add my Thanks to Model Rail, Dapol and Kernow for commissioning this model, designing and producing it and excellent service when delivering it respectively.

I had fancied this model for a long time but other things on a layout under construction took priority. I finally placed an order last Saturday afternoon and it was delivered Tuesday morning - great service by Kernow. I quickly fitted a Zimo decoder and test ran it. It runs beautifully with no hesitation even over complex pointwork. I think it is an absolutely brilliant model - probably one of the best runners I have out of a fleet of around 40 locos.

Can we please get all new models to run this well?