Model Rail Sentinel

LH&JC

• RMweb Gold

Postman has been this morning delivering a small package from Redruth. wink.gif

Yes, my BR early crest 68184 Sentinel has arrived and all I can say is Model Rail/Dapol have done a wonderful job. The detail and finishing is superb and the slow speed running has to be seen. All in a such a tiny and some may say cute looking model.

As others have said if this the standard that Dapol can achieve then it bodes well for all their future OO scale releases and commissions.

Also, thanks should go to Kernow Model Rail for the excellent handing and postage of the product which arrived next day following Kernow's notification of dispatch.

All together an excellent team effort by all parties concerned. drink_mini.gif

Hopefully I'll have a chance to play run it properly tonight.biggrin_mini2.gif

Cheers,

Mark

PS: Just need a version of Isebrook now in its days of working at Burton Latimer biggrin.gif

PPS: Just returned from running the Sentinel over a mate's layout that consists solely of dead frogs. No stalling whatsoever and as mentioned earlier fantastic low speed running. Already a classic and I think some of my fellow modellers will be ordering the new versions soon.

Edited by 46444

Mine arrived.

Just one comment.

The b to b is rather greater than a lot of RTR such as Hornby. In fact it's more like the accepted fine scale dimension as expounded by the likes of Ian Rice.

Had a little problem with a section of track that consists of chairs stuck directly to timber logtitudinal baulks on a viaduct. Out with the Butanone to ease out the odd chair or three and the lttle beauty glides backwards and forwards somewhat slower than a snail.

Well done to all those concerned in this venture.

Bernard

Sound like the same error as they did in N gauge where they used finescale back to backs on the B sets and Siphons

Not sure that having 'fine' back to backs is an error. In my opinion some RTR stuff has back to backs so small you could almost run them on 2mm track!

I didn't measure the B2B on mine before converting to P4, but it ran well through Peco code 75 turnouts. If it is a problem for some folk, it can be adjusted fairly easily given that the wheels are on stub axles in a plastic muff. As discussed earlier, the wheels don't readily move on the axles but the stubs can be adjusted in the muffs. I reckon there is sufficient spring in the axle-end pickups to accommodate the small adjustment needed, though not enough for serious re-gauging.

Nick

I've fitted OO gauge Ultrascale wheels to mine. I've also widened the B to B because it was so narrow I thought it might fall into the sleepers tongue.gif Easy to fit a decoder to.I wish all loco bodies would come off this easy.

Not so easy to change the wheels though.Someone used a bottle of superglue on the brake gear on mine.Nearly had to use a hammer & chisel. Its a sweet runner but clean track is essential.

Its a sweet runner but clean track is essential.

Why would this be when some locomotives don't seem to care too much if the track is dirty ? Are some motors more sensitive than others to slight fluctuations in current ?

Strange one this, the clean track syndrome. I have a thing about good electrical pickup for slow running. My track is all copperclad homebuilt code 75, so no dead frogs. The track is.....a tad crude.......to put it mildy, but it certainly works, though I cannot claim it to be 100% level. The layout (not complete but with enough track wired to allow test running) is located in a garage, so the atmosphere is not ideal, the railhead certainly does discolour. The track has been cleaned, but I only do this after weeks/maybe months of nothing moving. The controller is a superb homebuilt pwm controller from an ancient Wireless World article, it can make a standard Triang X04 Jinty tick over reliably between poles with no worries if pickup is perfect.

Anyway, the Y3. Straight out of the box, sweet runner apart from the nodding gait, referred to in an earlier post, caused by the bent axle(?) and that is only just noticeable at higher speeds. A bit noisy, though how much is due to the pwm controller I'm not sure (used to it with other locos). After I stripped it to look for the axle problem, and with care in re-assembly, along with the mandatory oiling mentioned in the instructions a further test run showed immense improvement. There had been just the occasional stall caused by poor pickup (proven by gently moving it along by hand finger); now it is 101% reliable, even over the inevitable dips/bumps in my railhead, and including trying it on track which has not been cleaned for at least a year. I can only think that a slight stiffness in the mechanism, eased by lubrication, was not allowing the flywheel to do its job.

Moral here is read the instructions, and lubricate (sparingly as always).

Stewart

• Like 1

Why would this be when some locomotives don't seem to care too much if the track is dirty ? Are some motors more sensitive than others to slight fluctuations in current ?

Its not the fluctuation in current its the loss of contact with the track. Any 0-4-0 would suffer the same problem.A bigger loco would have more pickups so the loss of contact on 1 or 2 wheels might not be critical but with an 0-4-0 track contact is vital.

• Like 2

. The controller is a superb homebuilt pwm controller from an ancient Wireless World article, it can make a standard Triang X04 Jinty tick over reliably between poles with no worries if pickup is perfect.

Stewart

Any chance of some photos and a wiring diagram for this controller ? I have often thought about building my own controller.

Not claiming it as a first in the Antipodes, but 68184 landed in Western Australia today!

After lubrication and running in, absolutely brilliant, with a "cute" factor in the 9.5 scoring range!!! I think 68150 may be joining when available.

Cheers, Peter C.

Hi Peter C,

My LNER and BR versions arrived on Friday and run very well. I had the LNER version pulling 40 Bachmann Private Owner 4 wheel wagons on the club layout here in Bendigo Victoria on Saturday.

I agree with your sentiments too. It got a lot of interested onlookers too. I also added a driver and fireman, well at least the top half.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

I don't think that any one has published a photo of a Sentinel with the 'lid off' so far.

Could someone please do so, if possible?

I'm trying to work out if it would be possible to 'slim down' the mechanism to fit a scratchbuilt LMS / S&DJR 'Radstock' Sentinel with the narrower engine casing and restricted cab.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

...I'm trying to work out if it would be possible to 'slim down' the mechanism to fit a scratchbuilt LMS / S&DJR 'Radstock' Sentinel with the narrower engine casing and restricted cab.

I would have thought the main problem would be with the chassis. The twin engined shunters used at Radstock were longer, had a shorter wheelbase and larger wheels.

Nick

See here for a drawing of a Y3 and another of 7109 (similar to the Radstock pair).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone stripped the paint of their little beauty's yet for a repaint?

If so what stripper did you use nad how effective was it?

Gordon A

Bristol

Not tackled this yet, Gordon, still not sure if I am going to, but I'd have thought that with a plastic body, Modelstrip is the thing to use. However, I'd be tempted to just clean the body up and spray over the green....

• RMweb Premium

I'm trying to work out if it would be possible to 'slim down' the mechanism to fit a scratchbuilt LMS / S&DJR 'Radstock' Sentinel with the narrower engine casing and restricted cab

No need any more - an etched kit for the S&DJR 'Radstock' Sentinel is imminent !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

My Departmental Sentinel arrived on Saturday, picked up from the post office yesterday.

It looks a little beauty, very fine detail and a nice heft to it.

I have not had chance to run it yet.

Impending grandsons are likely to prevent a trip to t'club for a run around.

Maybe I could wean them off XBoxes and PS/DS what-nots onto proper toys!

Regards,

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps you could tell us a bit more, John? Who is making it? How imminent is 'imminent'? Is this the same one that was being discussed nearly two years ago? If so, there's no sign of it yet on the CSP Models website.

Nick

It is the previously discussed kit.

My (very recent) latest information is that the castings for this kit, (the sourcing of masters for which has been the reason for the hold-up), are now to hand and that the kit should be available in later September - early October.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1