News of the event is here. I assume this is the same news from the Didcot team.

The weather looks vile - a bit like Oregon this afternoon. This is great progress. The 'naked' steam bogie looks a bit funny. I'm excited to see it mated with the driving coach and trailer.

I'm keen enough to want to schedule a special trip to see it when the project is complete.

• 3 months later...

A fantastic achievement by all at the GWS and Llangollen.

Yes this really is a fantastic acheivement. The combination of skills necessary to complete this task from coach building to designing the valve gear essentially from scratch span a greater range than most heritage projects.

While I'll look forward to seeing it in chocolate and cream one day, I must say that the crimson livery looks pretty smart. It's a nice choice.

I hope it runs reliably. While inevitably these machines are hard to maintain (and keep clean inside) I hope they can keep it running for many years.

Very pleased to see this, it really is an achievement. Thinking about the colour, is the intention to finish it in the pre-WW1 lake livery? If it is, it will make a welcome change from other preserved/recreated GWR stock.

Nick

Rather stupidly I was tied up on our Class 47 rad elements at Llan on Sunday, to take too much notice of the Railmotor. Or would have taken some piccies for you.

We dragged her out of the shed with our Class 26 (D5310) and they started a small fire in her boiler Sunday eve to start the warm up, she was 'supposed' to do a couple of short trips in the yard Monday, needless to say the test went so well, she was taken out of the yard and into River, then goods etc.

Having seen the steam bogie being built from scratch, and marvelling at the skill of the guys at Llan, who built so much of it by hand to plans in the machine shop, its a fantastic job well done. The interior of the coach is well on the way as well.

I am at Llan this coming Sunday, but on the Class 26 and will be based at Carrog all day, on draw offs, but is anyone wants may be able to get some pics, so long as they have not put her in Pentre sheds.

The most exciting news I've read in ages. A real live steam railmotor is very much an achievement. Preserved and mainline Mk.I's have done chocolate & cream to death to the extent that it is now ultra corny, so it is quite enlightening to see the choice of livery for the railmotor is GW 1912-1922 maroon. Well done to all concerned. Is it to operate on the Llangollen line...? (he asks not living that far away...):)

Is it to operate on the Llangollen line...?

It's due to be presented to the people who have supported the project on the 21st of this month at LLangollen.

The next date I have is its official public launch at Didcot on the 28th May.

I have no idea what is happening in-between those dates.

To the best of my knowledge, its not due on any rosters at Llan, will ask Sunday, as the Didcot guys may want to run it to Carrog for the pictures, posterity etc etc ;)

Ear kept to the grapevine......

• RMweb Premium

It's doing some photo charters in a couple of weeks at Llangollen, before it goes to Didcot. It will be nice to see it paired up with the trailer when that's been restored, but for the time being I'm glad to see it running on its own, especially in crimson lake.

• 3 weeks later...

I heard about this photo charter too late otherwise I would have popped over the mountain for a looksee. I was busy laying concrete slabs on what was the warmest day to date, and so the photo-charter lads had the best of weather for the occasion. What a splendid sight on the Llangollen line....... It will be a shame to lose the steam railmotor.

Can anyone say what it is like to travel in. Is it noisy and is it hot? Research tells us the LNWR units were known as potato roasters amongst other things and were not popular.

• RMweb Gold

From Tuesday's photo charter. What a fantastic sight, Didcot and Llangollen have done a superb job of the restoration and rebuild.

Surely this very fine picture of an amazing piece of restoration deserves to be in a gallery or Showcase? The setting is gorgeous, and the railmotor is unprecedented in our lifetime.

• RMweb Premium

Travelling in it is a bit of an anti-climax, funnily enough it's like being in an autocoach! It looks superb inside, the quality of the job is something to behold. I really should've taken some photos of the interior. It's not just the overall appearance inside, it's all the little mouldings and parts that make it stand out from a normal coach.

I was sat at the non-loco end, and the ride was pretty comfortable, no jerking or vibrations from the power unit. There's a luggage compartment between the boiler and the passenger saloon, which seems to stop the heat from passing through.

Archived