GWR B Set Diagram E129 X 2.

• RMweb Premium

Good evening.

This is the first GWR Coach I have part built. It is to be one of a pair for a classic B Set.

It is a Comet Models kit and was a really straightforward build to the stage required by the person that is going to receive it/them .

However, I would appreciate any comments from those with 'the knowledge' as my 'Russel' reference material gives limited insight into details for E129s (especially the 'outer ends' details).

I believe the under-frame also requires a Regulator Box - from where might I access this part (MJT/Frogmore?)

Thanks in advance.

36E

post-2326-0-84844900-1298227542_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

What a beauty Mallard.You've done a smashing job of that.The holes are just begging for some curly grab handles. ;)

Thanks Rob. All those handles, don't we just love them .....uuuuummmmm!:blink: At least this Comet kit comes with its' own handles, which are nice etches and fit the holes provided. I would not want to be trying to fabricate my own GWR style curly hand-rails from 4.5 mm wire. (OK I know my limits ;))

In fact I think that, in future if a coach kit (that I'm doing for myself) comes without handles I'm going to be seriously tempted to buy some in (if available for that type of coach) and if they don't fit the provided holes because they come from a different supplier, fill/redrill the necessary holes and fit the ready mades. Froid would probably have some theory about my preference for holes rather than bending .:wacko:

The E129s have 'sprung' bogies and S4 wheels by the way.

At least this one and it's 'partner' didn't/won't need hinges.

However, after the second E129 (the 'partner') is completed, the next batch starts with a GWR Diagram C46 Collett Corridor 3rd (70 footer) and that needs a full set of hinges fitted (but not the grab rails or handles - phew ;) and I'm pretty sure also that the drop lights are integral & not needing to be fitted). Without looking at my pics I think I calculated 60 hinges required; oh joy!:unsure: This and the others in the batch will be EM, with 'sprung' bogies and sprung buffer shanks fitted (MJT) but no gangways (hoorah) as the new owner will be fitting his own 'working' gangways and completing the buffers as well as the final detailing.

36E

• RMweb Gold

However, after the second E129 (the 'partner'), the next batch starts with a GWR Diagram C46 Collett Corridor 3rd (70 footer) and that needs a full set of hinges fitted (but no the grab rails or handles - phew ;)). Without looking at my pics I think I calculated 60 hinges required; oh joy!:P

I've got one of those to do as well - it'll be my first full Comet coach build as well.

• RMweb Premium

I've got one of those to do as well - it'll be my first full Comet coach build as well.

I think you might finish yours first (but I will never finish mine as I'm only doing this to an 'intermediate' sort of build stage without fine details like handles, bog pipes, alarm gear, roof drain strips, interior and painting :lol:)

I'm sure you already know that Comet Coaches go together very nicely as they are designed so well. Have fun and do post your progress.

36E

the next batch starts with a GWR Diagram C46 Collett Corridor 3rd (70 footer) and that needs a full set of hinges fitted (but not the grab rails or handles - phew ;) and I'm pretty sure also that the drop lights are integral & not needing to be fitted). Without looking at my pics I think I calculated 60 hinges required; oh joy!:unsure:

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but the C46 does not have integral droplights - so that's 22 droplights to solder (10 compartments and two toilet windows). And yes, there are 20 doors that need hinges.

See the second-last pic in http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/28388-adrians-coach-works/

Adrian.

• RMweb Premium

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but the C46 does not have integral droplights - so that's 22 droplights to solder (10 compartments and two toilet windows). And yes, there are 20 doors that need hinges.

See the second-last pic in http://www.rmweb.co....ns-coach-works/

Adrian.

Oh b*m! Cheers A. I'd forgotten your lovely builds (and I only looked at them about two or three weeks ago!)

I love soldering droplights but they take up quite a bit of time and my attention span is worse than the goldfish.

I must have had a peep in one of the other kit boxes in the pile and convinced myself!:wub:

P

Oh b*m! Cheers A. I'd forgotten your lovely builds (and I only looked at them about two or three weeks ago!)

I love soldering droplights but they take up quite a bit of time and my attention span is worse than the goldfish.

I must have had a peep in one of the other kit boxes in the pile and convinced myself!:wub:

P

The thing I find to be more of a pain than droplights are the b#!*dy ventilators on the 247/Bettabitz clerestories. You have 4 per compartment and they never want to stay in place while you are soldering them.

The Comet sides for the 57' Bow-Ended Collett coaches (C54, E127, E128, D94, K38) have etched droplights.

I do want to build another C46 as a C44 or C45 (with one flat end and one bow end) for the entertainment value at shows.

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting up the pic of the B set coach.

I have been looking for alternatives to the RTR Hornby/Airfix offering and noticed a bit ago that Comet did a b set but your picture helps me see the quality of the kit.

Are the sides and roof preformed or do they need bending into shape?

Does the comet kit come with everything you need inc interior and glazing.

Thanks very much.

Garry

Froid would probably have some theory about my preference for holes rather than bending .:wacko:

36E

Never mind Froid you've got us thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But if we carry on that way the red triangle will come out. Go on who remembers the show.

Nice build by the way.

OzzyO.

Thanks for posting up the pic of the B set coach.

I have been looking for alternatives to the RTR Hornby/Airfix offering and noticed a bit ago that Comet did a b set but your picture helps me see the quality of the kit.

Are the sides and roof preformed or do they need bending into shape?

Does the comet kit come with everything you need inc interior and glazing.

Thanks very much.

Garry

Comet sides have the tumblehome pre-formed (except panelled sides - which don't apply in this case). The roof is an aluminium extrusion and is something of a compromise profile, but the ends are designed to fit the profile so this doesn't really present a problem. A full kit will come with everything except the superdetailing parts (hinges etc), bogie springing, and wheels. Depending on your preferences, you may want to replace some of the parts (working gangways for the solid castings on gangwayed coaches, sprung buffers for the cast ones, etc. ), but the full kit has all the parts to build the basic coach, including grab handles and door handles.

Adrian

The thing I find to be more of a pain than droplights are the b#!*dy ventilators on the 247/Bettabitz clerestories. You have 4 per compartment and they never want to stay in place while you are soldering them.

Try half-covering them with a strip of masking tape to hold them in position. I use this for holding droplights on N gauge coaches (which are evem more prone to wandering off :lol: ). I cheat and just use superglue but it should work OK for soldering as I doubt the iron will be in contact long enough to cause the tape any problems.

• RMweb Premium

Those look excellent...how are you going to couple them as a pair, using what method?

Mike

Thanks Mike. Can't answer that as the new owner will sort that after he has completed the pair.;)

I'm sure someone will give us an idea as so many B Sets have been sorted by folk on here.

I shouldn't think it would be too difficult.

Phil @ 36E

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting the pictures up.

Those look really great and have convinced me that this is the way to go myself.

will you be painting them too?

If so I would be interested to see pictures of them painted up.

Thanks again.

Garry

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for posting the pictures up.

Those look really great and have convinced me that this is the way to go myself.

will you be painting them too?

If so I would be interested to see pictures of them painted up.

Thanks again.

Garry

Thanks Gary. I don't do painting on stuff for other people unless it is very, very simple and they just can't do it!

If the new owner sends me some pics of the finished article(s) I'll post them.

P.M. me if you want any hints.

P.

Regarding GWR curly door grab handles, Roxey produce them as etchings but they might not fit the Comet holes. Pack 4A114 gives 84 grab handes to 4mm scale. For LNER coaches I recommend MJT etchings from Dart Castings.

The B set looks well. I can't think of a single excuse for having a set, but I could use those suburbans built by BR to a GWR prewar diagram for the London Midland Region.

Russell's Pictorial History of Great Western Coaches, vol 2 has photos of the inner ends of an E129 pair. Coupling couldn't be simpler. There's a flat buffing plate in the centre with a simple bar passing through it. The bar has a hole at each end for a vertical pin on each vehicle, rather like an RTR engine/tender coupling.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Russell's Pictorial History of Great Western Coaches, vol 2 has photos of the inner ends of an E129 pair. Coupling couldn't be simpler. There's a flat buffing plate in the centre with a simple bar passing through it. The bar has a hole at each end for a vertical pin on each vehicle, rather like an RTR engine/tender coupling.

Nick

Theother alternative is to use the Bill Bedford B set coupling although not as authentic as Nicks suggestion does look ok in use. ;)

• RMweb Premium

Regarding GWR curly door grab handles, Roxey produce them as etchings but they might not fit the Comet holes. Pack 4A114 gives 84 grab handes to 4mm scale. For LNER coaches I recommend MJT etchings from Dart Castings.

The B set looks well. I can't think of a single excuse for having a set, but I could use those suburbans built by BR to a GWR prewar diagram for the London Midland Region.

Hi Coach. Thanks for that. These 'soldering and a bit more' jobs suit me as I am not a 'completer/finisher'.

Thanks also for reminding me about the MJT LNER handles. Mr Trice's parts are a real boon are they not.

Comet actually do a nice etch of curly GWR handles and they do fit the Comet holes :P; some CM kits include them. They are available as an accessory C8.

I've also got some Roxey ones in the 'bits box':)

"I can't think of a single excuse for having a set"... they were often tagged onto/included in the make up of cross-country & special trains so you never know where they might have turned up/passed through ;)

"but I could use those suburbans built by BR to a GWR prewar diagram for the London Midland Region".... yes they look really good in the Russel 'Bibles'.

Sincerely, Phil @36E

Archived