Hornby Class 50,s

35 Ark Royal

I was gathering up Mainline BR blue LMS pattern BGs with a vengeance actually Phil, now you mention it!

I believe the test rake ran to about a dozen vehicles though and I think I gave up half way through...possibly nine, they're stashed away somewhere!

This was around the time of course, they got wise to the fact vac braking was on the way out (and no ETS capability) hence the change to Test set Mk2. Especially as the new build 56 & 58 are air only.

Classix T  - There was an ideal reason to model a 50 at Peterborough. 50030 worked a Cleethorpes to Kings Cross service train in 1982

This came about as the inbound working loco was failed, and with no available loco at Immingham the next place to call upon was Donny. They had a 50 waiting to go back to the WR (which was usually sent south-westwards via a loco change of a NE-SW working at Sheffield), The 50 was sent light from Doncaster to Cleethorpes to work out to KX on the train which left Cleethorpes at about 17.40 hrs. Presumably once in the capital it would have worked back to the WR, perhaps to OOC.

I believe the reason Immingham couldn't supply a loco was because they didn't have anything with ETH as by this time kx-Cleethorpes services had gone over to Mk2 Air-cons.

See this  -   http://www.phantasrail.co.uk/archive_class_50.htm

• Like 1

Hornby have never produced a model of a refurbished but plain blue 50.

All the plain blue models, either named or not are of un-refurbished examples.

Cheers,

Phil.

Sorry i quoted the wrong post... was meant to be *Unfurnished*

Classix T - There was an ideal reason to model a 50 at Peterborough. 50030 worked a Cleethorpes to Kings Cross service train in 1982

This came about as the inbound working loco was failed, and with no available loco at Immingham the next place to call upon was Donny. They had a 50 waiting to go back to the WR (which was usually sent south-westwards via a loco change of a NE-SW working at Sheffield), The 50 was sent light from Doncaster to Cleethorpes to work out to KX on the train which left Cleethorpes at about 17.40 hrs. Presumably once in the capital it would have worked back to the WR, perhaps to OOC.

I believe the reason Immingham couldn't supply a loco was because they didn't have anything with ETH as by this time kx-Cleethorpes services had gone over to Mk2 Air-cons.

See this - http://www.phantasrail.co.uk/archive_class_50.htm

Just out of my timeframe Rodders.

I picked specifically May 1980 for a number of reasons (if you'll allow me a bit of thread drift Gentlemen):

It was a favourite destination from my childhood, always something to see, and reachable with an Anglia Ranger.

Deltics!

Grids!

40s, Peaks and Rats, rare further East so a more or less guaranteed cop.

Interesting selection of Goyles and Spoons including some familiar favourites from Stratford. We usually got the European boat train back home.

HSTs at 100+

And whilst I can't claim to have been there at the time, May brought with it the Spalding Flower festival, including (that year a) Crompton hauled special from the Southern.

What's not to like!

The rather convoluted excuse for a couple of 50s probably wouldn't have been as eagerly taken up without Hornby's excellent reproduction, I did have a Lima Log done as Anson, but I never rated it much. I was pleasantly surprised to find out the shopping dates of 22 and 47 tied in exactly to my timeframe so Donny test train it is.

C6T.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't used the parts myself, but are they replacement exhaust outlet grills ?

Cheers,

Phil.

Hi Phil

Thanks for your help... the bits I'm confused on are the four rectangle grills;

post-8033-0-38359100-1461584716.jpg

Are they for the un-refurbished examples?

Thanks

Will

Hi 

I have a couple of paint matching questions...

has anyone paint matched the green for 50007? I'm going to replace the grills so an exact match isn't needed..

post-8033-0-86559200-1461584836_thumb.jpg

And 50008 Laira Blue?

post-8033-0-93430400-1461584843_thumb.jpg

I'm a bit annoyed about thunderer. I always tend to go for cheap secondhand examples but this one was new and when i first checked it i didn't spot a series of dots on one side. I've taken it out of its box and now can't decide whether to leave it or have a go at smoothing it down and trying to disguise with painting.

cheers

Will

Hello Will, 

Phoenix Precision or Railmatch should be able to help with the correct shades of paint. As for the dots on 50008, I would probably leave them as they are as removing them and patch painting might be hard to blend in with the factory paintwork. When the loco is detailed and weathered I don't think the dots will distract from the overall finish.

Almost every one of my locos has some minor imperfection to the finish, even the factory painted ones, but I don't mind overlooking small things if the overall finished loco looks 'right'. 

Lewis 

True Lewis. Most of mine have plenty; mostly created by me and hidden by weathering where possible.

I've had success with matching Vitrains before but never had a go with Hornby. When I manage to find a suitable match I'll spray the grooves and see how close they look, they decide!

cheers

Will

• RMweb Premium

I can't work out what those grilles are for. Either pre or post refurbishment I don't know.

They look too 'square' to be exhaust ports.

As for the paint, I haven't tried matching 007's Green, so can't help with that.

Some (most!!) of the 035's I've renumbered have left a mark where the crests have been removed. After filling and sanding, I tend to feather over the area with Pheonix P152 B.R. Rail Blue (post 1985), after a coat of matt varnish over the transfers the match is close enough for me !

I've never seen the dots like on your 008, but I've only had two models of it , one stayed as 008, the other ended up as 019, but in the end I resprayed the whole of the Blue on that anyway.

Cheers,

Phil.

Does your layout allow viewing of both sides of stock Will?

Unless you've a balloon loop or turntable I'd suggest the simple answer is to put that side out of sight and out of mind.

C6T.

Thanks

That thought had crossed my mind... and most likely it'll end up that with one side not looking A1! We'll see...

cheers

Will

I can't work out what those grilles are for. Either pre or post refurbishment I don't know.

They look too 'square' to be exhaust ports.

As for the paint, I haven't tried matching 007's Green, so can't help with that.

Some (most!!) of the 035's I've renumbered have left a mark where the crests have been removed. After filling and sanding, I tend to feather over the area with Pheonix P152 B.R. Rail Blue (post 1985), after a coat of matt varnish over the transfers the match is close enough for me !

I've never seen the dots like on your 008, but I've only had two models of it , one stayed as 008, the other ended up as 019, but in the end I resprayed the whole of the Blue on that anyway.

Cheers,

Phil.

Hi Phil

I can't work those grills out either. I think all I'll use from that etch is the steps which look pretty smart.

cheers

Will

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

So disappointing

My Hornby D400 arrived this morning and I had been so excited to get it.

When I opened the box I could hear something rattling around, as I slid the clear cover off one of the buffers fell out onto the table.

Once I got the loco out the front buffer step appeared in two bits.

On closer examination I could see that super glue had been used on all buffers and there was the obvious bloom this causes.

Not only that but the same end as the missing buffer the body was split!!!! Is this marzac swelling up already.

WARNING check yours as soon as you get it.

Mine looks like its been thrown against a wall and reassembled by a five year old.

Spitting feathers I really am.

On its way back to Rails who have been very good about it, but for FFS Hornby sort you blood QC out in China.

post-1423-0-83873400-1499858442_thumb.jpgpost-1423-0-08740000-1499858459_thumb.jpgpost-1423-0-00136700-1499858476_thumb.jpgpost-1423-0-62596700-1499858493_thumb.jpgpost-1423-0-69911700-1499858532_thumb.jpg

Missed one out, 

post-1423-0-29233000-1499859139_thumb.jpg

Does Hornby monitor this forum?

Spoken to Rails who say they only just got them in then shipped out so that means this is how mine left the factory.

This kind of total disrespect for the customer by uncaring, underpaid Chinese workers will bring the hobby down badly.

Sick of sloppiness and repairing brand new models.

I'll shut up now as I can feel my BR rising. 

Edited by mikesndbs

That don't look good at all. Was going to order one myself but think will put on hold for the time being.

Got to agree QC is very poor especially with a loco for RRP tag of £170.00

That don't look good at all. Was going to order one myself but think will put on hold for the time being.

Got to agree QC is very poor especially with a loco for RRP tag of £170.00

Does anyone know which factory produced these as it looks like one producer to steer well clear of in the future ! Edited by Black 5 Bear