Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

• RMweb Gold

There was a full lot of 16 tonners built with tarp cleats for transporting granulated sugar. (Doors sealed with denso tape) See this post.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/36891-16t-minerals/page-84&do=findComment&comment=1883454

It could be dolime, limestone, apples,  (Cider) turnips, swede, grain etc., etc., but those in the pic, stabled outside of a supplier of "foundry requisites" could be loaded with coal dust, gannister, maybe charcoal but with a greater probability of them being loaded with sea sand or moulding sand.

P

Moulding sand. ( Although in later days it could have been coal dust for use in burners, I don't know the changeover date).

Isaac (Isaiah?) and Israel Walker had a dedicated road in Tinsley marshalling yard.

Along with the sidings at the gasworks in the background, back in the day those were used as storage lines for the scrap locomotives, steam and diesel, on their way to the scrapyards north and south of Rotherham Masborough.

Mike.

Mike.

edited after clearing a couple of cobwebs out of my old brain.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern

• RMweb Gold

I'm very ashamed of myself. The photo of Tymawr is the landsale yard, just behind Tymawr pit. It was an everyday occurrence, to the point I just ignored it. They say you can repent at your leisure, but it won't let you go...

• Like 3

'Tin' cans bound for Batchelor-Robinson's northern plant in Hartlepool;

I knew of the southern B/R works (Seaton Tin works) next to the Seaton High Light but didn't know of a Northern works. Where was that located?

• RMweb Gold

'Tin' cans bound for Batchelor-Robinson's northern plant in Hartlepool; there, they'd be di-tinned, then compressed into cubes of steel scrap for the steel industry.

I knew of the southern B/R works (Seaton Tin works) next to the Seaton High Light but didn't know of a Northern works. Where was that located?

Hartlepool?

Mike.

(HTH)

Hartlepool?

Mike.

(HTH)

:wacko:  Now Hart-le-pool (or The Hartlepools) is a bit complicated.  The Monkey Hangers bit was once better known as Croft on Heugh that had a district called California  (Didn't Everywhere?). Croft on Heugh adjoined Throston. Throston was once once better known as Egypt. Collectively this area is known as Old Hartlepool or just plain Hartlepool.

Then we have West Hartlepool which is very much to the South of Old Hartlepool but just a little bit to the west. Immediately to the East of the original West Hartlepool railway station lies Old West Hartlepool! Further south towards the salt marshes there is Stranton that has Hart Dale, through which the Brink Burn flows. Even further South there is Owton Manor that is  locally known as the Fens. These areas are were the swampies abide.

Swampies and Monkey Hangers don't see eye to eye(1) there being a great rift between them. There were two adjacent manor farms that lay between the Monkey Hangers and the Swampies, unsurprisingly both manor farms were called Rift House. Also unsurprisingly there is an areas between Hartlepool & West Hartlepool that is called Middleton.

Now me being me and knowing that one of Batchelor-Robinson's de tinning plants (right in the middle of this pic) lay to the East and North East of Rift House and just a bit further East than Foggy Furze; It was at Longhill upon which lay the Hartlepool High Light which seamen should never confuse with the Low Light. As an aside the Highlight has been moved from its southerly position to a more harbourly location well to the North. Longhill is well South of West Hartlepool.

So with Batchelor-Robinson having a few plants nationwide and the Hartlepools having more points on the compass than most other areas, is it any wonder that I thought there may have been a second de-tinning plant to Hartlepools North?

No wonder Benny Hiil referred to the whole bl**dy lot as "British West Hartlepool"!

P. (Hoping your reservoir never runs dry)

(1) Apart from Sunday afternoons when after a bit of a Rift and on the Brink, a temporary truce would be called and they would all march of the the North of The Hartlepools to do battle with the Yackers (Coal Miners) of Blackhall & Horden in Crimdon Dene.

• Like 2

Apologies Paul, I lost the will to live half way through the third paragraph!

... but you got as far as the reservoir.

North is north

and South is south

and the wrong one you have chose,

let's go where the sun keeps shining.

Through the Rio Amadorio there's low flow

and the reservoir level stays critically low.

Clipitty clop, clop clop, clop,

Clipitty clop, clop clop, clop.

(Hmmmm, thinks I prefer the Kipling version).

• Funny 1

Talking of which.

What goes clip  clop  clip  clop  clip  clop

Bang Bang Bang

Clippety clopp Clippety Clop Clippety Clop

An Amish drive by shooting.

Mike.

Now back to mineral wagons before someone shouts at us.

... but you got as far as the reservoir.

North is north[/size]

and South is south

and the wrong one you have chose,[/size]

let's go where the sun keeps shining.[/size]

Through the Rio Amadorio there's low flow[/size]

and the reservoir level stays critically low.[/size]

[/size] 

Clipitty clop, clop clop, clop,[/size]

Clipitty clop, clop clop, clop.[/size]

[/size] 

(Hmmmm, thinks I prefer the Kipling version).[/size]

[/size]

I love you 2. It's like Salvatore Dali and Andy Warhol did model railways. Existential surrealism with added thread drift.

• Funny 2

Manual unloading.

https://flic.kr/p/29Egm4W

Working right where I go the flicks these days - the site is still recognisable as once being "railway" - the road overbridges are intact, etc ....... how useful would such a station be these days - right in the centre of Yeovil (Pen Mill is too far out) with an hourly 2-car shuttle to connect with the Waterloo trains at the Junction (the current bus service just isn't right) and also being able to get to Taunton without all the Qing on the A358 ...................... what an absolute waste !!

• RMweb Gold

Working right where I go the flicks these days - the site is still recognisable as once being "railway" - the road overbridges are intact, etc ....... how useful would such a station be these days - right in the centre of Yeovil (Pen Mill is too far out) with an hourly 2-car shuttle to connect with the Waterloo trains at the Junction (the current bus service just isn't right) and also being able to get to Taunton without all the Qing on the A358 ...................... what an absolute waste !!

Oh that lead me to a quick look on nls maps to see what you were on about :) Called in at the Yeovil Weathers on our way back from the Fleet Air Arm Museum back in June (staying at Beer) ONly just round the corner from Cineworld I see