moorswater viaduct 2FS

bcnPete

• RMweb Gold

Never mind - at least you will have a month or more to get over it before the winner is announced - then it could be a constant barrage of magazine editors, exhibition managers, journalists, paparazzi, autograph hunters, beautiful women, begging letters for a share of the winnings, congratulations to reply to on RMweb, photo sessions with the diorama..................

...could have sworn a large slice of Jamon just flew past our apartment window...

• RMweb Gold

...when you try to trim the bottom of the arch and then cut through the curved detailed stones...then dip your brush in the MEK PAK and realise it is bone dry after the major spillage last week...then open a tube of cyno and it becomes obvious it has completely dried up...you kinda realise that perhaps tonight is not the best night to do any modelling :angry:

tick tock tick tock tick tock...

Sounds like you don't have any backup supplies - of solvent that is - If I was a few kilometres closer you could have some of mine

It's either brico/fontenaria for the MEK or the chino bazaar for the cyno tomorrow, and feet up tonight

Ron

• RMweb Gold

Pete, long deep breaths and a tipple of choice, and all will be better tomorrow.. or so they say! :)

Thanks Tom...I think my liver needs drying out after this weekend...Herbal tea anyone?....

Sounds like you don't have any backup supplies - of solvent that is - If I was a few kilometres closer you could have some of mine

Thanks for the offer Ron - I did order 2 new bottles and some plasticard from Gaugemaster last week...but am still waiting for it...the cyno I can find pretty easily and cheap here and probably was a good thing it was dried up as my fingers would have ended up being stuck to the viaduct tonight...

sometimes, you just have to walk away...hasta mañana peeps...

...when you try to trim the bottom of the arch and then cut through the curved detailed stones...then dip your brush in the MEK PAK and realise it is bone dry after the major spillage last week...then open a tube of cyno and it becomes obvious it has completely dried up...you kinda realise that perhaps tonight is not the best night to do any modelling :angry:

tick tock tick tock tick tock...

Ah we've all been there :superstition:

• RMweb Gold

Ah we've all been there :superstition:

Oh yes.. we most certainly have.

G&T Pete... G&T

1) Wind your neck in.

2) Plastics can be joined using acetone (nail polish remover).

3) As an engineer you can work your way around this.

Keep calm and carry on.

Thanks all - New day, new inspiration and gonna get stuck in again tonight... :yes:

• RMweb Gold

Update - So what do you do when everything goes 'orribly wrong the previous night?...Do something completely different...LIGHTING!

The idea for lighting was twofold...firstly, to test the lighting boom for my CJ-M layout and secondly to light this diorama.

My original sketch, cruelly magnified below, shows some small strip lighting tucked along the front...a tried and tested method used by many on the exhibition circuit.

post-3290-0-16442700-1315347346_thumb.jpg

Magnified extract from original sketch on first page...

Whilst browsing IKEA recently (no jokes please :laugh:) I was rather taken by a small light fitting for under €10 which is intended no doubt for placing beneath shelfs or under kitchen units to light the worktops. It is quite neat and clips together as so...

post-3290-0-38532300-1315347529.jpg

Three pieces which plug into one another plus a small switch and transformer...

This I thought would be rather neat to run along the front of my CJ-M layout, so 3 were snapped up...however for the diorama, I wondered if I could rearrange them as per this...

post-3290-0-08893700-1315347654.jpg

Arranged in parallel...or is that in series?!...

I knew that I wanted to conceal the wiring so the cable was run up the back of the layout and then the vertical/horizontal supports were increased in width by using 2mm artists card with a spacer in between to run the wire. I then did a quick 'lash up' test to check whether it would all work...

post-3290-0-95436900-1315347822.jpg

Test wires linking each to a chocolate box connector...

And it did, so I proceeded to fit the lights to a piece of artists card which would be inclined 45 degrees to spread the light evenly on the diorama...

post-3290-0-31705800-1315347963.jpg

Lighting bars are attached with double sided tape to the card...

The whole arrangement was then secured in place and the cable replugged to check it all still worked despite my dodgy soldering skills...and it did :yes:

In general I am pleased with it. Purists might say that the LED's give the wrong sort of light but it seems to wash the layout fairly evenly and the most important was to be able to light the trains on the viaduct too as its much higher than most of my track on the layout.

I attach a few photos of it...now I hope I can move back to the viaduct stonework having accomplished this from the tasks list...

post-3290-0-69990100-1315348310_thumb.jpg

Overall night shot...this was taken switching all other room lights off...

post-3290-0-65456300-1315348362.jpg

From behind the layout...

post-3290-0-04991700-1315348393.jpg

Three quarter side view...

post-3290-0-14577800-1315348432.jpg

Front on view...

No Gin Tonics were harmed at all during the whole process... :D

That looks very tidy - nice work. The temperature of the light seems natural to me (looking at the ballast, stonework and HST) but I agree with Scottish Modeller that a diffuser would be a good idea. At the moment you've got multiple shadows going on.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pete,

'The Wrong Light' is always a problem!

You want it bright enough to show the model off, but have the right shade of light...

How about some smoked grey acrylic to cover the LED strips?

Just an idea....

Thanks

Looks great!

Maybe one against the backscene though so you don't get a shadow of the viaduct against the sky?

Alex

Top effort Pete, those lights are a great find.

That looks very tidy - nice work. The temperature of the light seems natural to me (looking at the ballast, stonework and HST) but I agree with Scottish Modeller that a diffuser would be a good idea. At the moment you've got multiple shadows going on.

Phil, Alex, Bryn and Will - Many thanks for your kind comments.

I will experiment with placing some sort of diffuser over them - as I said, its acting as a test bed for my layout so I can do some tests. Normally I will run them in a continuous line which provides quite a bit of light for my IKEA 1100mm shelves...

• RMweb Gold

Looks good Pete. I often read a lot of stuff about all sorts of screens, filters and bulbs in order to get the 'correct' light which seems to me to over complicate the issue. I use bog standard Wickes under cupboard lights on Highbury. The secret is to paint the model using the light it is going to be displayed in. Go and buy yourself another set of those lights and rig them up so you can paint anythng that is to go on the model under the same light, adjusting your colours accordingly.

With such a tall structure at the heart of the diorama shadows are always going to be a problem. Presumably the backscene is going to be painted and have some foliage,greenery added. This will be useful to soften the shadows. On Highbury I couldn't eradicate the shadow from the chimney completly so have a strategicaly painted hedgerow on the backscene which hides it to some extent.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Looks good Pete. I often read a lot of stuff about all sorts of screens, filters and bulbs in order to get the 'correct' light which seems to me to over complicate the issue. I use bog standard Wickes under cupboard lights on Highbury. The secret is to paint the model using the light it is going to be displayed in. Go and buy yourself another set of those lights and rig them up so you can paint anythng that is to go on the model under the same light, adjusting your colours accordingly.

With such a tall structure at the heart of the diorama shadows are always going to be a problem. Presumably the backscene is going to be painted and have some foliage,greenery added. This will be useful to soften the shadows. On Highbury I couldn't eradicate the shadow from the chimney completly so have a strategicaly painted hedgerow on the backscene which hides it to some extent.

Many thanks Jerry - I think you are spot on..the most important thing is to colour the layout using whatever our intended light source will be.

As you say, the tall structure will always give problems...not just on this diorama but the main layout, hence the lighting track set at a height to light and frame it...but hopefully not overpower it.

There will be a 'minimal' backscene....mostly sky... but it will have a bit of foilage applied at the base. I'm off to look at your pics again!

• RMweb Gold

IZAL would do the job.....bout all its good for :O

best left at that before THE MODS step in... :offtopic:

Pete... very neat. I've just found a reason to agree next time SWMBO says she want to go to IKEA.

Thanks Jon...I have never been to IKEA...and come away with nothing which isn't model railway related...last acquisition was a free standing shelf structure...which will form the basis of the support structure for the layout...more on that another time... :D

• RMweb Gold

The lighting pelmet is a great idea - looking forward to the next set of photos. You're not far off now! (Still think it would look great in one of those IKEA glass cabinet display cases!)

Many thanks Mike...Believe it or not...with all my knowledge of IKEA...I'm not sure which glass display cabinets you mean... :blink: care to send a link?...

These seem familiar, I have something very similar on my desk in work awaiting a new future.

We used these slid inside square coloured plastic tube as edge lighting on the stairs and centre gangway floor sides on our touring (motor) coaches in a similar manner to the emergency guide lights on aircraft. The tube is available in a number of colours but I have only ever bought it wholesale in reasonably large quantities, six lengths at three metres being the normal order.

I can probably supply details if anyone wants them but as the supplier is a trade wholesaler they may not entertain small quantity orders.

• RMweb Gold

These seem familiar, I have something very similar on my desk in work awaiting a new future.

We used these slid inside square coloured plastic tube as edge lighting on the stairs and centre gangway floor sides on our touring (motor) coaches in a similar manner to the emergency guide lights on aircraft. The tube is available in a number of colours but I have only ever bought it wholesale in reasonably large quantities, six lengths at three metres being the normal order.

I can probably supply details if anyone wants them but as the supplier is a trade wholesaler they may not entertain small quantity orders.

Thanks - Gives me an idea...Apply a red diffuser on the lights for getting that Cornish electric sunset... :sungum:

Archived