Scottish Region photos 1980's

These look like ferry highs but I am no expert on wagons.

Hi Phil.

The wagons were 21t ferry highs, as you thought.

Later the remaining wagons became OJA's and were used in Speedlink services, recieveing Red/Grey and boxed 'Railfreight' Branding.

Originally built to Dia 1/055, from lot 2851, @ Lancing in 1957. They were numbered B715020 - B715039 - 20 wagons in total.

They were built with dual brakes and had a sheet support rail as well as the usual UIC Ferry fitments.

These wagons were replaced by the PTA 88t bogie side tipping twin box 'Thompson's Mag Lime'/'Carnegie's Montrose' in 1985 I suspect(?), which used rail service between Aberdeen Ferryhill and Montrose.

AFAIK the only two left are now Private Owners with the GWS and are used to bring in Loco Coal to the GWS at Didcot, now numbered GWS5267/5268, ex B715024 and 1715029. The GWS gained ownership of these two wagons in 1989 IIRC.

HTH

Mike

• Like 1

Does anyone have any photos of the Lime workings to Montrose at all

bry

Hi Bry,

I think I have a pic of the train at Dundee though you can only just see the wagons, I did find a pic in 'Freight Only' Vol 3 by Michael Rodes & Paul Shannon its a great book with heaps of info, anyway it shows a pic of a 26 at Montrose with four PTA lime tipplers. Hope that helps I will dig out my picture, I think it has a class 27 on the front.

Cheers Peter,

Hi Phil.

The wagons were 21t ferry highs, as you thought.

Later the remaining wagons became OJA's and were used in Speedlink services, recieveing Red/Grey and boxed 'Railfreight' Branding.

Originally built to Dia 1/055, from lot 2851, @ Lancing in 1957. They were numbered B715020 - B715039 - 20 wagons in total.

They were built with dual brakes and had a sheet support rail as well as the usual UIC Ferry fitments.

These wagons were replaced by the PTA 88t bogie side tipping twin box 'Thompson's Mag Lime'/'Carnegie's Montrose' in 1985 I suspect(?), which used rail service between Aberdeen Ferryhill and Montrose.

AFAIK the only two left are now Private Owners with the GWS and are used to bring in Loco Coal to the GWS at Didcot, now numbered GWS5267/5268, ex B715024 and 1715029. The GWS gained ownership of these two wagons in 1989 IIRC.

HTH

Mike

I think that the remainder are stored out of us at Tees Yard

cheers bry

PS any picsare more than welcome

I think that the remainder are stored out of us at Tees Yard

cheers bry

PS any picsare more than welcome

Sorry what i meant to say was that the PTAs that were used between Ferryhill (County Durham) and Montrose are stored at either Tees or Tyne Yard.

cheers bry

Bristol Boy wrote - Wow, brought back some great memories of lots of trips up to Scotland. Went up to Scotland last month for a couple of days, what a sad place it is now.

Now then Mr Bristol Boy. :rolleyes:

I am going to give you the benefit of several Doubts here regarding your denigration of God's Country.

Let's start with believing your sadness relates purely to the lack of real trains up here - or I may have to come down and sit on you. Then you may not get to become Bristol Man. :D :D :D

Stuart (many happy memories of Bristol in the 80's maybe 10 day visits - but never left the station.)

Thanks for the info on the ferry highs, Mike - I must admit I was unable to locate any details after a quick squint through a well known wagon website.

I've a couple of pics of the Craiginches to Immingham SLK icluding the bogie lime vehicles

post-3695-12575300576041_thumb.jpg

post-3695-1257530087762_thumb.jpg

Some more bits and pieces from a long gone era

post-3695-12575301352947_thumb.jpg

post-3695-12575301663321_thumb.jpg

post-3695-12575301923768_thumb.jpg

post-3695-12575302227156_thumb.jpg

Bruce

• Like 7

Thanks guys.

Crossfell5 - lovely shots from a vintage year.

Millerhillboy, the Millerhill shot of 37112 was 30th April 1982 - the 26 in case anyone is interested is 26001. Some more Millerhill below.

post-3695-12576261907319_thumb.jpg

post-3695-12576262562313_thumb.jpg

Some more ScR stuff

post-3695-12576263251785_thumb.jpg

post-3695-12576263654555_thumb.jpg

post-3695-12576263990063_thumb.jpg

And finally, currently a nice cheap to model rake (10 quid a coach) if you ignore the Royal Scotsman rake in the distance!!

post-3695-12576264806905_thumb.jpg

Bruce

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Here are a couple of pics hope they are of some use.

Cheers Peter,

HI PCM...

I want this photo:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=5005

Full size would be great......

Nicely fills in a little niche of the N Gauge stuff I am building.

Thanks

that one of 47517, would it be on the up Clansman?

cheerio

Claggy

Superb stuff. I sign millerhill and don't recognise the place.

thanks

How did Perth operate in the mid eighties? What trains used the station, ie terminations, run rounds thru's etc.

Thats interesting Bruce. I didn't realise those lime wagons were wooden. I'm guessing the latter day vehicles were replacements for these. IIRC the vehicles used in the 1990s were numbered 255xx.

These look like ferry highs but I am no expert on wagons.

Bit late to add to this, but this ferry high thing was in service on the Southern as an engineer's wagon by 1982-3 as far as I can tell:

post-6971-12576966504156_thumb.jpg

I was just wondering (evenmore so after seeing Clagmeisters comment) what, if anything is left at Millerhill now?

keith

The two tracks on the far left (left of 26001 in the first picture)are still in place, but everything to the right is gone and is now massively overgrown. The yard in the upper left background behind the fuel tanks is still present in some form or other.

Somwhere near where the class 40 is in one of the later pictures there is a spur now for units to sit when they run in from Newcraighall, so they can sit off the main double track into Millerhill.

that one of 47517, would it be on the up Clansman?

cheerio

Claggy

Superb stuff. I sign millerhill and don't recognise the place.

thanks

How did Perth operate in the mid eighties? What trains used the station, ie terminations, run rounds thru's etc.

Hi Claggy,

Re 47 517 on the Clansman - correct, the 11.00 Inverness to Euston on 28th June 1986.

By the mid 80's Perth had lost a lot of it's variety. AFAIR, passenger traffic was

Inverness to Glasgow/Edinburgh (usually 47's and early mk2 stock)

Inverness to Euston 'Clansman' (47/4 and mk1/2/3 stock)

Aberdeen to Glasgow (again 47's and mk2 - later 47/7 push pull)

Perth to Edinburgh (101 3 car unit)

Speedlinks operated from Mossend to Inverness and Craiginches and I believe a Freightliner still ran between Aberdeen and Coatbridge but dunno when it finished. The engineers yard to the north and the tippler to the south both generated some traffic but I think Dewars had shut by then.

Go back a few years (see Crossfells shots) and you can add in the Dundee to Glasgow services (mucho variety) and the Arbroath/Dundee to Perth locals (DMU variety) as well as additional freight traffic.

I dare say there a a few gaps but I hope this helps. I've a few pics of the area from this era so just let me know if you want to see anything in particular and I'll see what I have.

Bruce

Hi Bruce

great pictures of the Speedlink services with the lime hoppers being conveyed to/from Montrose. seems to be quite alot of HEAs being conveyed in one of the shots, would i be right in thinking that they would have been domestic coal to Aberdeen?

bry