• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Less than 8 weeks to go before the beast goes over the Pennines to York at Easter. Our entry (and exit) visas are being processed........ :jester:

Last week's test running session revealed the gradual build up of dirt (mainly dust) at the clubrooms, as work has progressed on other club layouts. Quite a lot of wood cutting has been going on!

So tomorrow night, Blackmill will get a good track clean and gentle vacuum and then probably another cleaning session the week before York.

Our clubrooms are on the first floor of an old mill, but a lift has recently been installed to make things easier. Although it's a relatively small lift, it's quite possible that we can put three of the 14 transit boxes in the lift in one go without any issues. We'll be having a quick look at that also.

Looking forward to an exhibition with it again, since it's trip to The Wirral last year.

Cheers,

Mick

Less than 8 weeks to go before the beast goes over the Pennines to York at Easter. Our entry (and exit) visas are being processed........ :jester:

Last week's test running session revealed the gradual build up of dirt (mainly dust) at the clubrooms, as work has progressed on other club layouts. Quite a lot of wood cutting has been going on!

So tomorrow night, Blackmill will get a good track clean and gentle vacuum and then probably another cleaning session the week before York.

Our clubrooms are on the first floor of an old mill, but a lift has recently been installed to make things easier. Although it's a relatively small lift, it's quite possible that we can put three of the 14 transit boxes in the lift in one go without any issues. We'll be having a quick look at that also.

Looking forward to an exhibition with it again, since it's trip to The Wirral last year.

Cheers,

Mick

Hey Mick,all i can say is what an awsome modern image layout!! spent hour watching it at the Wirral train show...

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hopefully in the next few days, I'll be training up another operator for the monster, giving me a bit more flexibility when it comes to mustering a team together.

The stock (at least mine!) will also be getting a wheel clean in readiness for the three day show at York at Easter.

I'll also be trying to prioritise my ongoing workbench projects for the next few months. (Blackmill at York, Perth and Folkestone, New Bryford at Derby and Blackburn)

Cheers,

Mick

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Tuesday night should see Blackmill packed and ready for a trip East at Easter.

Another task will be to double check the operator's passports and visas so we have safe entry into Yorkshire (and back again later)

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Tuesday night should see Blackmill packed and ready for a trip East at Easter.

Another task will be to double check the operator's passports and visas so we have safe entry into Yorkshire (and back again later)

Cheers,

Mick

Tuesday did indeed see Blackmill packed and ready for the trip over the Pennines.

Friday morning 11:00am and it was time to send it on its way.

Six members plus one member's wife and it only took half an hour.

The new lift in the clubroom is a real boon.

Hope you've all had a good journey and arrived safely.

See you Monday,

Steve.

• RMweb Premium

Look forward to seeing it on Monday.

Hopefully by Monday, the gremlins will have been exorcised.

TBH, it didn't run well today which I think was down to a number of things. Operator error, stock failure mystical intermittent faults), a board joint that hasn't taken well to the warm room - which is why I'll be making the effort to get to the show early on Sunday morning, despite losing an hour's sleep! 

Cheers,

Mick

Fantastic photos of a fantastic layout.i remember seeing blackmills a few years ago at warley and it then fast became one of my favorite modern image layouts.

I have stole a few ideas from you guys over the years and implemented them onto my modern image layout which is here on RMWEB (glebe road junction).

I think you guys have certainly set the bench mark with this layout and others like me are trying very hard to keep up with the very high standards you have set.

Looking forwards to some more future photos guys.

regards

terry 

I think I stopped by all of about 3 times today, would've stayed longer the final stint but I was getting moaned at. On second thoughts, maybe I should've got you to park a loco up close with the sound full volume to drown her out :jester:

I did pass comment that if you ever came to sell it that it would look great in our living room, but I think I have an awful, awful long way to go to convince her with that one!

Got some photos which I'm happy to post on this topic if they've come out alright and you don't mind?

Blackmill's been a favourite of mine since Railex NE last year, there's just something about the DCC light and sounds that brings it to life for me.

Finally, what does the "Sofa King" lorry say on the back? My ears weren't quite big enough when someone next to me was being told.

• RMweb Premium

I think I stopped by all of about 3 times today, would've stayed longer the final stint but I was getting moaned at. On second thoughts, maybe I should've got you to park a loco up close with the sound full volume to drown her out :jester:

I did pass comment that if you ever came to sell it that it would look great in our living room, but I think I have an awful, awful long way to go to convince her with that one!

Got some photos which I'm happy to post on this topic if they've come out alright and you don't mind?

Blackmill's been a favourite of mine since Railex NE last year, there's just something about the DCC light and sounds that brings it to life for me.

Finally, what does the "Sofa King" lorry say on the back? My ears weren't quite big enough when someone next to me was being told.

Thanks for the comments. Glad you liked it.

Post away with the pics.

As for the back of the truck "our prices are always Sofa King low............" :O  :no:  :jester:

Cheers,

Mick

Archived