Gresley Buffet

Looking through Mr Endacott's excellent 'Westerns Warships and Hymeks at work' book yesterday I noticed a couple of photographs of the Portsmouth-Cardiff train (D7012 on p65 and D857,can't remember the page) with a Gresley Buffet in the formation. I assume this was the one that the WR had right up to the mid seventies, and wondered if the Hornby version was suitable or does it need to be modified even when it was still in maroon?

PS does anyone know what it's number was?

• RMweb Premium

Before pre-ordering, it muight be best if people wait to see if Hornby has done the necessary alterations to the Buffet to make it suitable for the blue & Grey era. The best news would be that Hornby has done a new body to match that of the impending full brake.

They didnt bother when releasing it in maroon so i;d be surprised if they modify it now.

Its better to modify an older cheap one or a Kirk kit as the roof, underframe and sides all need work and you'll probably have to repaint.

• RMweb Premium

To the best of my knowledge Ian is correct. The Blue Grey Buffets are repaints and have not been modified for the later window arrangement.

The alarm gear is on the wrong end of the otherwise very nice Hornby as well so I'm told.

P

Carefull use of a sharp kraft knife and razor saw will remove the sides from the roof and ends. Hornby's plastic is easy to cut through but of course the usual care is needed if the knife isn't to wander and spoil the roof or send you to casualty. You don't even have to alter the chassis if it suits you as it is.

• 1 month later...

a Blue/Grey Gresley Buffet for around £44 from Hattons or Kernow (amongst others)

I’ll will make do with my Ian Kirk kit Gresley Buffet as for £44 I would expect a lot more accuracy than the current Hornby model contains. An alternative option could be to add this model to the Railroad range at a lower price and I maybe more minded purchase the model and carry out the necessary mods to improve it.

Depending in the volume of sales of this item, which at present is open to question we may see some heavy discounting from some of big mail order model shops at some point next year.

If you build it accurately - he will come! :)

XF

Thanks Coachmann, I think I'll take the plunge! The Portsmouth-Cardiff with a Hymek and it's 6 coach formation is the perfect size for my layout and the inclusion of a Gresley Buffet adds a bit of variety.

If its only the one Gresley in the rake you;'d be better off filling in the windows on Kirk sides and starting with that plain roof. Add a set of Bachmann bogies, comet mk1 vents on the roof and various comet underframe bits and it'll be a lot cheaper.

Don't forget the buffet counter inside is also very different too.

• 1 year later...

I'm seem to recall that the formation of the 'Hymek Swansong' of 22 Sept 73 included the WR allocated 12 wheel Gresley buffet ( W1935E). I wonder what happened to that vehicle? I believe it was still around the Western in Sept 76. Does anybody know?

It only has eight wheels.

A quick Google reveals that it's part of the NRM collection:

http://www.nrm.org.uk/OurCollection/LocomotivesAndRollingStock/CollectionItem.aspx?objid=1978-7065&pageNo=10

Further discussion on the subject of Gresleys in the '70s appears here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/4617-gresley-buffet-cars-in-the-70s/

Rob.

It only has eight wheels.

A quick Google reveals that it's part of the NRM collection:

http://www.nrm.org.uk/OurCollection/LocomotivesAndRollingStock/CollectionItem.aspx?objid=1978-7065&pageNo=10

Further discussion on the subject of Gresleys in the '70s appears here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/4617-gresley-buffet-cars-in-the-70s/

Rob.

Rob

Thanks for this. I don't know what made me think it had twelve wheels...! I recall there is a b & w shot of W9135E in the formation of a Weston-S -Mare to Liverpool footex, taken I think on 25 Sep 76, at Bristol T M which appears in an edition of Modern Railways from around that time. The caption I believe remarks that it's making one of its' final journeys. There is also another shot of it behind D1028 Western Hussar on Hemerdon Bank in the formation of the 10;30 Saturdays only Newquay to Paddington on 24 Jul 76 which appears in Last Year of the Westerns by John Vaughan. Elegant looking vehicles - I believe they carried the blue & cream livery quite well.

Rgds

Gary 

Archived