Morfa - Hwyl fawr

Neil

• RMweb Premium

Super! The use of the steps to hide the lack of jackshaft is indeed a most clever wheeze!

Yes very clever of those chaps at North British to realise how with a little forethought they could make life easy for model makers.

.... look forward to seeing it on your layout

I'm afraid I'll have to disappoint you Jamie, the shunter is OO, the layouts at my disposal EM, the eventual fate an appearance on e-bay. I did it because I was intrigued to see if it would work and look acceptable. It also tidies away a project that had been lurking on or around my workbench for far too long.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Neil

Can you not put EM gauge wheels on it or is there more to it with regards to EM... shame to let it go...

Jamie

In theory I could just pull the wheels out on their axles and grolly up the (now) recessed axle ends with something, but doing this runs the risk of bolloxing the quartering and I doubt there's clearance behind the cab steps. In some ways it's a shame to get rid because it runs very nicely indeed, but it doesn't fit with my plans and I've had my fun with it.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Scenery of a very embryonic sort has started to appear on Morfa over the last month. It started with roughing out the embankment walls which encompass the Abertafol inlet.

post-6793-0-24782200-1415974287_thumb.jpg

I used thick card dominoes to build up the basic shape as the embankment leans out as well as curves. Then taking an old Peco (Merit?) tunnel mouth I built up the approach tunnel from card and papier mache.

post-6793-0-93479600-1415974525_thumb.jpg

The inner was lined with scrunched and smoothed brown paper sprayed in a mix of greys and blacks to represent bare rock. Varnish dribbled on the ballast to give reflective damp pools.

post-6793-0-87839000-1415974693_thumb.jpg

Finally before the tunnel liner could be stuck down I repainted the tunnel mouth in a mix of light grey, black, white and earthy brown.

post-6793-0-72439900-1415974783_thumb.jpg

Neil, 

I think this is my first post on here anywhere, just have to say I love the less is more concept that is underpinned with some fine modelling.

Also the use of Uncle Joe's Mintballs tin as a pencil holder!!!!! Eeee that did mi owd art grand lad. Always been my first port of call when going home to Wigan. 

Gradly stuff.

Kevan

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I may have invented a new process for sculpting the basic landforms.

Take polystyrene beads ....

post-6793-0-34835100-1422056657_thumb.jpg

..... mix with a small amount of pva .....

post-6793-0-24792500-1422056681_thumb.jpg

..... slop out and prod into place ......

post-6793-0-55178700-1422056761_thumb.jpg

..... repeat until finished.

post-6793-0-77590800-1422056872_thumb.jpg

Restraint needs to be shown with the pva, partly because the less glue there is the quicker it will dry and partly because a too wet mix runs the risk of slumping. A surprisingly small amount is all that's required, at first when mixing little appears to be happening then all of a sudden the pva starts to be transferred from ball to ball, the whole mix taking on something of the consistency of a meringue mix.

• RMweb Premium

What a splendid idea Neil!

Roughly how much PVA did you mix into the bucket of beads?

Bean bag refills - http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060778.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.Xbean+bag+refill&_nkw=bean+bag+refill&_sacat=0

Hard to be precise Andy, two to three glugs, the aim is to get all the balls tacky but not wet.

After I dropped a bean bag refill under the house and then spent nearly six months finding all the little balls and sucking them up with the vacuum, I threw what was left in the rubbish!!!

Could've, should've, would've done this had I known. Bother … and other expletives deleted.

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Mickey. I have been thinking about how the landscape would look in this corner for about four years now without doing anything about it. It's helped clarify how it would be shaped and allowed me to think out any unrealistic bits before I committed to the build.

• RMweb Premium

Normally I'm pretty much immune to the siren call of retail therapy, but on Tuesday in Smiffs in Camarthen this pretty little thing was dangling of the shelf.

post-6793-0-00688700-1422561081_thumb.jpg

I've occasionally seen other GBL issues on visits to the more populous places but could never get very motivated by express engines. The C class doesn't fit in with any of my plans, I've no real desire to motorise it, I guess it's destined for my display case.

Normally I'm pretty much immune to the siren call of retail therapy, but on Tuesday in Smiffs in Camarthen this pretty little thing was dangling of the shelf. attachicon.gifmorfa stranger 1.jpg I've occasionally seen other GBL issues on visits to the more populous places but could never get very motivated by express engines. The C class doesn't fit in with any of my plans, I've no real desire to motorise it, I guess it's destined for my display case.

You've converted it to EM, though Neil, by the looks of it..... :D

• RMweb Premium

You've converted it to EM, though Neil, by the looks of it..... :D

It's amazing what you can do with a blob of blu-tack round the back.

You could paint it black and add the Prince of Wales feathers. The Cambrian did have quite an assortment of 0-6-0s. :jester:

Don

The thought did cross my mind Don, but I don't think I could make myself destroy the rather spiffing SECR livery. Perhaps I'll just have to wait for GBL No. 2978 when they've finally run out of the entire Hornby and Bachmann catalogue and eventually get round to doing a Cambrian Sharp Stewart 0-6-0.

Archived