Biomass hoppers

I don't whether I was dreaming, but was there a recent article in one of the modelling magazines on the conversion of a HTA hopper into a IIA Biomass Hopper.

My ancient grey matter tells me it was in the modelling section of Rail Express magazine, the short question is, can anyone point me in the direction of this article please.

Many thanks

Pete

In the current (Dec '11) issue of Rail Express there's an article about GBRf's biomass operation between Tyne and Drax. The biomass hoppers are converted from IIA coal hoppers.

HTAs are the EWS coal hoppers, one of which was converted and painted DB red and recoded CGA as a trial. Not sure it's seen that much work, but it was used on sand traffic for a bit

HYA is the code for original batch of GBRf hoppers, these were the ones that had First branding

IIA are to all purposes identical to HYAs, but carry VTG branding. It is wagons from this batch that have been converted to biomass hoppers. The different TOPS code is due to a change in European interoperability regulations requiring everything to carry an international registration

Edit to say, the biomass hoppers retain the IIA TOPS code and original number

Edited again. Sand, not salt......I knew what I meant...

jo

Thanks ewsjo and The Stationmaster, It was the article in the December issue of Rail Express that tickled my grey matter, I was sure there had been a conversion done using a Bachmann HTA as a basis in a magazine, anyway thank you for your replies.

Pete

• RMweb Premium

I've looked into the similarities (with help from Martyn and others) between IIA/HYA and HTA. From a distance they look similar, except for the bogies. Closer inspection shows that the angles of the ends vary between the two types.

Maybe get away with it in N/2mm, but certainly not 4mm.

IIRC the EWS (DBS) HTA conversion was part of the tendering process for biomass, which GBRf won. Further digging reveals 310552 as the prototype CGA, ex-HTA and retained the original EWS livery at least for a while.

post-408-0-45995400-1323906169_thumb.jpg

Later painted red and trialled on sand traffic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPEJ3pSTqr4

Including 66078 with the mis-matched cab doors.......

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

But have they produced a new body, with a different end angle from the HTA, or re-bogied the HTA?

Cheers,

Mick

EDIT - a quick look at model pics via a well known Merseyside retailer certainly seems to show different body mouldings with different end panel angles. (Credit to GraFar)

Maybe Bachmann will produce the HYA/IIA in 00? They already have the bogies.

Certainly looks different from the HTA and also from the Freightliner HHA. One area where N is better off than 00, probably because not many people have the space to model a respectable rake of these in 4mm. A rake of biomass wagons in N looks a reasonably easy and interesting conversion.

Some pics of GBRF's IIA-C biomass hoppers here if it helps, a little one-dimensional but best I could do with the opportunity I had. As well as the roof there seems to be changes to the control panels and possibly some kind of control cabling above the brake pipes on the sides (there's a line of grey 'lumps' there that aren't on the IIA-A coal hoppers)

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/I/IIA-C-Biomass-covered-hoppers/

Maybe Bachmann will produce the HYA/IIA in 00? They already have the bogies.

Sorta surprised they haven't, I suspect the lower half of the HTA tooling would still work....quite a few livery variations they could do on these too for something so new.

HYA - First GBRf Coal

HYA - First Coal

HYA - GBRf Coal

HYA - Coal

IIA - GE/Fastline

IIA - Fastline

IIA - DRS

IIA - First GBRf/VTG

IIA - GBRf/VTG

• RMweb Gold

IIA - GE/Fastline

To be strictly accurate judging by the train I spent the best part of 90 minutes watching on Monday they are -

GE/Fastline

with the 'Fast' bit painted over and the GE symbol added at the left end of the bodywork. (regret no pics as I was in a location with distinctly grubby no-opening windows).

From what I can tell Mike, they still carry full Fastline branding. The 'fast' bit and the the 'Freight' underneath are in a dark grey (rather than black) from new, which blends in well with the bodyside colour! I remember how odd it looked the first time I saw them shortly after delivery

there's a line of grey 'lumps' there that aren't on the IIA-A coal hoppers

http://ukrailwaypics...overed-hoppers/

I presume these are the magnetic system to automatically unlock the doors when in the unloading area that is mention in the article. The conversion is more than just fitting a lid to the wagons, it's really quite clever the work that's been done

jo

• RMweb Gold

From what I can tell Mike, they still carry full Fastline branding. The 'fast' bit and the the 'Freight' underneath are in a dark grey (rather than black) from new, which blends in well with the bodyside colour! I remember how odd it looked the first time I saw them shortly after delivery

I presume these are the magnetic system to automatically unlock the doors when in the unloading area that is mention in the article. The conversion is more than just fitting a lid to the wagons, it's really quite clever the work that's been done

jo

Ah, must have been the weathering that made it look painted over ;) And by the end of January I should know all about the doors (I hope because somebody soon is going to have to explain the loading process for my benefit - not that he knows yet), and have some up-close piccies all being well, so kindly keep this thread alive chaps - in case I can't find it.

Thank you to all of you for your help on this, I model in 4mm having just changed back from US HO modelling (sorry Martin), on my layout I had a cylindrical coal flood loader and I was wondering what I could use it for, after seeing the December RE my prayers were answered, now all I need to do is to set up my modern image layout for operation.

Thanks again

Pete

Some pics of GBRF's IIA-C biomass hoppers here if it helps, a little one-dimensional but best I could do with the opportunity I had. As well as the roof there seems to be changes to the control panels and possibly some kind of control cabling above the brake pipes on the sides (there's a line of grey 'lumps' there that aren't on the IIA-A coal hoppers)

http://ukrailwaypics...overed-hoppers/

Sorta surprised they haven't, I suspect the lower half of the HTA tooling would still work....quite a few livery variations they could do on these too for something so new.

HYA - First GBRf Coal

HYA - First Coal

HYA - GBRf Coal

HYA - Coal

IIA - GE/Fastline

IIA - Fastline

IIA - DRS

IIA - First GBRf/VTG

IIA - GBRf/VTG

Martin,

Thanks for those pictures they are a great help,...............now who does the VTG and GBRf transfers in blue?

Pete

Hiya Pete, not wishing to put you off a project, ;) but you could just use it for loading coal instead and use the EWS/FL coal hoppers already easily available?

Not sure i've heard of anyone doing decals for these yet, but it might be worth talking to somebody like http://www.precisionlabels.com/ if you want some - they do decal sets for the loco's already so might have a headstart on some of the artwork?

Whilst the end angles of the IIA/HYA design is different to the HTA that Bachmann does in OO a simple repaint and bogie swap is probably the easiest plan for the present.

Hiya Pete, not wishing to put you off a project, ;) but you could just use it for loading coal instead and use the EWS/FL coal hoppers already easily available?

Well Martyn that is a thought, and one that I hadn't considered up to now, but thanks for planting the seed ;)

Pete

Archived