Toughest Place to be a Train Driver; BBC2 Feb.

Arthur

Series 2 of "The Toughest Place to be a....." starts this Sunday, 29th Jan., with a bin man in Jakarta. There are two more episodes to follow on subsequent Sundays, one of which is, "The Toughest Place to be a Train Driver". A British driver tackles the job in a tough environment, from the trailer it, could be somewhere in the Andes.

I cannot find the actual broadcast date, either February 5th or 12th.

Looks interesting.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I cannot find the actual broadcast date, either February 5th or 12th.

Sunday 12th February 9pm.

Noticed the trailer last night, tried the BBC website which has been revamped and improved so much I couldn't find it - only info on the first two in the current series.

Anyhoo, a web search resuled in the following on ASLEF's website - their news item with broadcast info here, and a two page pdf of their magazine article here.

Regards, Gerry

• RMweb Gold

Must admit i enjoyed that

i like the fact they used a pendolino driver as oppossed to a freight man as it put him right out of his comfort zone.......

"2500 tons backwards downhill, just like reversing out of daw mill mate"

Id have jumped at the chance to go out there and have a try

• RMweb Gold

Must admit i enjoyed that

i like the fact they used a pendolino driver as oppossed to a freight man as it put him right out of his comfort zone.......

"2500 tons backwards downhill, just like reversing out of daw mill mate"

Id have jumped at the chance to go out there and have a try

Spot on Jim - just like coming down from Cwmbargoed but nothing like as many burning brakeblocks or smoke - and a bit further of course ;) But as you say it was taking the bloke out of his (very comfortable) comfort zone; and introducing him to a spot of real railway work with as much need for the straight air brake on the loco as any other brakes.

But very interesting for all that and the highly dramatised commentary wasn't too bad.

Some of the background stuff was eye-opening, like the lead smelter pollution way up in the mountains, and the attacks on the trains in the suburbs by people who can't see where all that mineral wealth is going.

Hi,

Yes, those bits of film were very thought provoking I must say.

It was a very interesting programme, it was clear that the bloke did have a translator while he was on the railway, but not while he wasn't on the railway! I quite liked the bit where he had to stand on the point lever to keep the blades in place, health & Safety would have a fit if they saw that here!

Overall, very good!

Simon

Some of the background stuff was eye-opening, like the lead smelter pollution way up in the mountains, and the attacks on the trains in the suburbs by people who can't see where all that mineral wealth is going.

Bear in mind that the sites shown (La Oroya and Cerro de Pasco) were nationalised in 1974 and although some at least was reprivatised in the late 90s there has rarely if ever been the political incentive to address environmental, health and social matters. Bit like Soviet-style industrialisation in that respect. New mines, either developed by private multi-national mining companies or in joint-venture with the government, are much better designed and operated and these days have to answer to strong regulations, shareholders and NGOs. The 'old' mines have a lot of catching up to do and it's not easy, although with the high prices of metals at the moment you would hope that improvements would accelerate. But Peru is still a poor country and revenue from mining does not always get out of Lima and back to the even poorer mining areas that are suffering the most. The worker in La Oroya who had been attacked for trying to improve conditions was a very dignified and brave man.

There are other mining railways in Peru and elsewhere in South America, maybe not as spectacular as this one though. I've worked at the Southern Peru copper mines where there are railways between the two mines including a 9 mile tunnel, and down to a smelter on the coast. Got some pictures somewhere from the early 90s at the mines themselves, Googling will find some very good contemporary shots out in the desert.

• RMweb Premium

It did strike me that the film maker had an agenda about some parts of the program, most however was very well done and didn't seem to concentrate on the families as much as some of the others have done.

Very interesting programme - but rather him than me! Should have been wearing a brown boiler suit not orange. You could hear the interpreter in the background occasionally. What type of loco was he driving later in the programme. The first one was a C39 which is a Co-Co but it was Bo-Bo at the end wasn't it? With the amount of black clag that came out it should have been an Alco!

• RMweb Gold

It was a very interesting programme, it was clear that the bloke did have a translator while he was on the railway, but not while he wasn't on the railway! I quite liked the bit where he had to stand on the point lever to keep the blades in place, health & Safety would have a fit if they saw that here!

Simon

I think you will still find 'hold-over' handpoints in use somewhere in Britain although the do have their dangers (usually of someone letting go!)

Very interesting programme - but rather him than me! Should have been wearing a brown boiler suit not orange. You could hear the interpreter in the background occasionally. What type of loco was he driving later in the programme. The first one was a C39 which is a Co-Co but it was Bo-Bo at the end wasn't it? With the amount of black clag that came out it should have been an Alco!

I've struggled in finding hard info on their roster - all looked to be GE's of various parentages!

* The C39-8 at the start appears to be secondhand ex Norfolk Southern in the US (GE only built them for NS and Conrail - and I can find references to them getting ones ex NS - I think NS inherited all of them after the Conrail split in 2000 and I think got rid in the early 00s?)

* The one he stalled was something that looked like a C30-7 but with a rebuilt smaller/steeply angled radiator area - not sure if that was a custom GE machine or a modified ex US one - my *guess* would be the latter. That had older electrical panels in versus the -8s more modern electronic ones which would figure?

* The 4x axle machine he trained on the plateau looked like a B40-8, again my guess would be ex US service

* There were some older(?) and noticeably smaller GE 'export' designs (sorry i'm not as good on them!) kicking around, the one switching at the port on his first day for example.

I can find reference to them also having rebuilds of B23-7s too but i'm not sure whether we saw any?

Pretty much everything had a smaller, shallower fuel tank than what they will have had in US service, presumably to reduce the axle weights?

Maybe also to increase ground clearance for the changes in gradient?

All in all definitely one of the better attempts at railway programming on the TV - it could easily have been twice as long and only in a couple of places was I squirming at obvious errors! I did wonder though what happened to the first stalled train (they just seemed to leave it there) and whether after the second one they still only had a half load when they came down the gradient.

Archived